Help identifying a military pin

Mary-T

Cadet
Hi =)

I´m desperately looking for a specific pin. Unfortunately I only got this crappy pictures, this is why I need your help:
pin02-2.jpg

pin02-3.jpg

It is pinned on an old leather journal besides a "Rifle Expert"-badge and some ribbons (purple heart or legion of merit, vietnam service medal, marine corps good conduct medal and combat action ribbon).
Should be enamel and maybe a vintage pin (50s?):
pin02.jpg

Could be US or maybe canadian.

What I see:
golden frame and some kind of golden crown on the top (I don´t think it´s lettering). Background red, in the middle another golden shape and on the left and right of the middle shape black background.
Could be some vintage pin back from the 50s maybe.

Every little hint is very welcome!!
Thank you very much!

Mary

PS: Again: sorry for the bad pictures, but I don´t have better ones...

Welcome to CWT from the Smoky Mountain side of North Carolina. Just jump right in and enjoy.
Sorry but I can’t help you but just wait a little while and someone will be along to answer your questions? Paging @ucvrelics

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. I believe that it is a unit crest and they made 1000's of different ones. Without a clearer photo or what the slogan or writing is that is on it, its going to be very hard to nail down.
1563543716148.png

Thank you very much for your answer!
Yeah, I was afraid of that :wink:
I saw that many canadian crests have a crown on it (I think the one I´m looking for has that, too), maybe it´s indeed canadian?

I try to get a better picture!

The items I see in the photograph appear to be a mixture of different items. For example the the bottom ribbon appears to be a Coast Guard combat medal. I was thinking we might be able to place the unit crest by association with the other items, but the items being from mixed sources stops this possibility.

Thank you very much for your answer!
Yeah, I was afraid of that :wink:
I saw that many canadian crests have a crown on it (I think the one I´m looking for has that, too), maybe it´s indeed canadian?

I try to get a better picture!

I am still leaning US Army unit crest. There are thousands of these and identifying them can be dificult.

Yes, you are right - that was my first thought, too. Makes it more difficult... The rifle expert badge seems to be a Marine Corps award.

I believe that it is a unit crest and they made 1000's of different ones.

I agree. The unit crests were made into an insignia, called the Distinguishing Unit Insignia, that identified the regiment, battalion, etc. These were worn as pairs on the WW2 uniform or one was worn on an enlisted man's hat. Each unit had a coat of arms which was normally used on their regimental flag and they had an insignia, the DUI Pin, worn on the uniform. Most of the DUI pins are in the shape of a crest or shield but not all of them.
These crests were approved by the Army and they usually had colors, shapes and figures that depicted the history and the tradition of the unit. Some of the symbols traced the unit's history back to the Civil War so you may see something that looks familiar to that period.
You mentioned this pin was with a Marine GCM---I don't know much about the Marine Corps nor what type of DUI pins they would have worn.

Example of a DUI pin for the 107 Field Artillery Battalion --- WW2 issue.
DUI_107FA--Gettysburg.jpg

You are welcome to this forum, but this topic is really out of the realm of the discussion of this forum. I would recommend you post this question to the experts on US military.
This site, below, is the place to see examples of US military equipment and uniforms. They are strictly US and do not allow posts about other countries, such as Nazi uniforms. Once you register, you can post your question---but you really need a better photo.

US Militaria Forum

Thank you all for your answers!

@DixieRifles
Your post was very informativ, thank you for that =)
And for I don´t know exactly what pin this is, I tried it in this forum - it of course could be a US pin.

And like I said, I try to get better photos of it and share as soon as possible!
Thanks again!!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums from the host of the Stonewall Jackson Forum, and good luck with your search!

Welcome! When this question is answered, stay and join in our many discussions: new perspectives are always appreciated!
If these are part of someone's collection, it might go beyond US units. For example, there are many, many French badges, including a host for units who served in Indochina. Some of these were brought back as souvenirs from our involvement there.
Can you possibly post a better picture?

Hi =)

I´m desperately looking for a specific pin. Unfortunately I only got this crappy pictures, this is why I need your help:
View attachment 316913
View attachment 316914

It is pinned on an old leather journal besides a "Rifle Expert"-badge and some ribbons (purple heart or legion of merit, vietnam service medal, marine corps good conduct medal and combat action ribbon).
Should be enamel and maybe a vintage pin (50s?):
View attachment 316915

Could be US or maybe canadian.

What I see:
golden frame and some kind of golden crown on the top (I don´t think it´s lettering). Background red, in the middle another golden shape and on the left and right of the middle shape black background.

Every little hint is very welcome!!
Thank you very much!

Mary

PS: Again: sorry for the bad pictures, but I don´t have better ones...

From what I can tell from your picture, for sure we have a Marine expert rifleman's medal, a Vietnam Service Ribbon, and a Combat Action Ribbon. So this would perhaps lead us to believe the person who owned the journal at on time saw active service in the Marines and took part in the Vietnam conflict. So time-wise that would mean 1955-1975, but more than likely during the latter part of the 1960's. Unfortunately, the picture of the pin is too out of focus for me. What do you know about the person who owned the journal?

Hi and thanks again to all of you =)

@WJC thanks for your post. I try to get a better picture, but this could take a few more days. I´ll post it as soon as possible!

@Booner unfortunately I don´t know much more... I just have this picture. I identified alle of the ribbons and the expert badge, I just couldn´t find out what the pin is.
Like I said, as soon as possible I´ll share better pictures!

Hi to all of you =)

it took a while, but I tried to get a better picture. Unfortunately it is just minimal better - I´m very sorry for that...
But maybe the one or another can see more on that one.

Have a nice day!
Marina

pin02-new.jpg

Back