Help Identify this Sword!!!!

Lo_1863

Private
Hello all my fellow civil war buffs! I have just acquired a sword and scabbard and from what I was told it is possibly from North Carolina or Texas and was a state militia sword. Here is a link to a site showing one just like it http://arms2armor.com/Swords/unkfrat1.htm . The owner of that site has it listed under his "unidentified section." The sword I own is an exact match to that one pictured. I was wondering if anyone could add any additional infomation? Thanks!

I'm thinkin' it's a ceremonial sword from a fraternal organization -- Knights of Pythias, Odd Fellows, Knights of Columbus, or along those lines. Very popular in the late 19th century.

Thanks for you thought on the matter. I hope more will maybe add to this. I really hope it turns out to be a militia sword like the ones used at the start of the war.

Definitely not made for field service. Styled much like a masonic sword but I don't recognize the symbols.

I'm thinkin' it's a ceremonial sword from a fraternal organization -- Knights of Pythias, Odd Fellows, Knights of Columbus, or along those lines. Very popular in the late 19th century.
KoC is what I was thinking too. Took a good look at one the other day and this looks very similar to that.

I don't think so. Organisied Militias prewar would have had military swords private purchased by the officers.

Had a similar case some years back, while working on the blockade runner Denbigh Project. A family in the area had a sword that had belonged to an ancestor, who as a very young man (age 16 or 17), had run in through the blockade on that ship. Family tradition holds that he was a cabin boy, but there aren't really any records one way or another.

Anyway, in family oral tradition, this sword had, over the years, become conflated with his blockade-running experience as a teenager, notwithstanding that these ships and their crews were almost all civilians, and the only edged weapons likely to be found on board were down in the hold, as cargo. Family oral traditions are like that, sometimes.

Anyway, the kid grew up to be a prominent and influential member of his community in the late 19th/early 20th centuries, and the sword turned out to be a ceremonial sword from his membership in the Knights of Pythias.

I don't think so. Organisied Militias prewar would have had military swords private purchased by the officers.
Yeah, I'm not sure either. I have seen tons of those types of swords at collectors shows with the bone handle and knight head. All were labeled as state militia swords which would have dated prewar. From what I understand they were used by many soldiers at the start of the war because the lack of other swords and many wanted to show off their state. I could be wrong... :unsure:

Yeah, I'm not sure either. I have seen tons of those types of swords at collectors shows with the bone handle and knight head. All were labeled as state militia swords which would have dated prewar. From what I understand they were used by many soldiers at the start of the war because the lack of other swords and many wanted to show off their state. I could be wrong... :unsure:
I just dont see the militia thing honestly. The baldaric is far too ornate for something I would see a soldier using. The leather and string on the handle IS military-ish, as I have seen it personally on other ACW swords, BUT anything else other than the basic design of the sword (which I see also in KoC swords, Masonic Swords, other Fraternal orgs) isn't indicative of a ACW militia sword, ever pre-war. Not trying to burst your bubble, but I can't see it.

I just dont see the militia thing honestly. The baldaric is far too ornate for something I would see a soldier using. The leather and string on the handle IS military-ish, as I have seen it personally on other ACW swords, BUT anything else other than the basic design of the sword (which I see also in KoC swords, Masonic Swords, other Fraternal orgs) isn't indicative of a ACW militia sword, ever pre-war. Not trying to burst your bubble, but I can't see it.
Oh you are not going to burst any bubble as I have doubts as well. Just wanted to see what others thought. In the post you are refering to I was talking about this sword (http://arms2armor.com/Swords/militia1.htm). The one that I have is close to that so that is why I was asking. Any thoughts on the one I just linked in this post with the bone handle? Those are the ones I have seen everywhere listed as militia swords.

Lo, if you could find a way to post close-up images of markings or designs on your example, that might help.

Oh you are not going to burst any bubble as I have doubts as well. Just wanted to see what others thought. In the post you are refering to I was talking about this sword (http://arms2armor.com/Swords/militia1.htm). The one that I have is close to that so that is why I was asking. Any thoughts on the one I just linked in this post with the bone handle? Those are the ones I have seen everywhere listed as militia swords.
I would say Knights of Pythias, by the pommel. See below:
14049940_2_x.jpg

Notice the pommel, also the handguard is VERY similar to your first sword as well. But it is plausible that the second is a militia sword.

It's no militia sword, pre war or otherwise. It's a KoC style sword, not military. Does that mean no officer ever carried one off to war w/ him? I never say never but officers were required to purchase their own swords & sidearms and I have never seen a CDV of an officer wearing a KoC style sword.

Back