GRAPHIC Help identify fallen Confederate - Spotsylvania

I have not given up on this thread and continue to pursue as time allows, even to the point of purchasing a cartridge box that most likely was there. Pvt Josiah T Potter of the 1st Maine Heavy Artillery was wounded at the widow Alsop's house and I have been lucky enough to acquire the rig. Box has seen better days, but the maker, contract and date of battle pretty much assures that this box accompanied Josiah Potter when he was wounded in the right leg at the Alsop Farm. Potter was discharged for disability 9 months later and returned to Maine.View attachment 448769View attachment 448770View attachment 448771
That is an incredible find.....my mouth is just hanging open..........it would be interesting to know the story of how you came across the cartridge box.

That is an incredible find.....my mouth is just hanging open..........it would be interesting to know the story of how you came across the cartridge box.
I occasionally browse different ACW dealer sites and having committed to memory the units involved at Harris/Alsop farm(s), saw that Raphael at Shiloh had this box. The only northern ACW memorabilia that I collect are accouterments so this fit. I also see that you requested identifying marks on Google Maps where I took my pictures, sorry oversight on my part. I will get that done this week.

I occasionally browse different ACW dealer sites and having committed to memory the units involved at Harris/Alsop farm(s), saw that Raphael at Shiloh had this box. The only northern ACW memorabilia that I collect are accouterments so this fit. I also see that you requested identifying marks on Google Maps where I took my pictures, sorry oversight on my part. I will get that done this week.
No rush.

Congrats on the cartridge box.....drool..........

Yes, somebody had already pointed that out. Its a really long thread, so it's easy to find the "final conclusion" to certain questions. I almost feel like we need to write up a summary of where we are at in terms of what facts are resolved or still in question. Thanks for the input, and hopefully you will continue to follow the thread and contribute.
I think you are on to something with a summary. I am not even sure what we are trying to conclude anymore.

Does anyone think his relatively clean-shaven face means anything? These guys had been marching quite a bit, so I just wonder if his unit was relatively fresh.

Does anyone think his relatively clean-shaven face means anything? These guys had been marching quite a bit, so I just wonder if his unit was relatively fresh.
I think it more likely that he was young enough that facial hair was challenging. After reading the histories of the Heavies and the location of these two, they would appear to be advance skirmishers. The main battle was fought west of the Harris, Alsop and Peyton farms, so I speculate that these were the vanguard of Rodes, who was famous for his skirmish/sharpshooter units. These bodies fell on the Alsop Farm prior to the lines being pushed back by heavy reinforcement. Rodes made his company commanders pick out the best shots and used them as skirmish/sharpshooter units; the command "skirmishers/sharpshooter to the front" would activate the select, sometimes even without command.

I think it more likely that he was young enough that facial hair was challenging. After reading the histories of the Heavies and the location of these two, they would appear to be advance skirmishers. The main battle was fought west of the Harris, Alsop and Peyton farms, so I speculate that these were the vanguard of Rodes, who was famous for his skirmish/sharpshooter units. These bodies fell on the Alsop Farm prior to the lines being pushed back by heavy reinforcement. Rodes made his company commanders pick out the best shots and used them as skirmish/sharpshooter units; the command "skirmishers/sharpshooter to the front" would activate the select, sometimes even without command.
Hmm that trait of being famous for his sharpshooter/skirmisher units seems to have left Rodes at Gettysburg.

Regardless these men will never be identified the carnage that was bestowed upon the II corps in the prior days would have meant men being transferred or merged to fill gaps in company's and regiments even within their own regiments meaning it is virtually impossible to identify these men or what unit they really were in.

What we can safely say is they were part of Ewells corps of Rodes Division more than likely although not certain from Ramseur's Brigade and that's about it , I would imagine confederate records were a complete mess after the overland campaign.

Hmm that trait of being famous for his sharpshooter/skirmisher units seems to have left Rodes at Gettysburg.

Regardless these men will never be identified the carnage that was bestowed upon the II corps in the prior days would have meant men being transferred or merged to fill gaps in company's and regiments even within their own regiments meaning it is virtually impossible to identify these men or what unit they really were in.

What we can safely say is they were part of Ewells corps of Rodes Division more than likely although not certain from Ramseur's Brigade and that's about it , I would imagine confederate records were a complete mess after the overland campaign.
Rodes had standing orders for skirmishers, but it is obvious that those such as Iverson ignored at Gettysburg, it was not Rodes finest hour, but he received little help from his brigade commanders. Unfortunately, his papers were destroyed after his death (Winchester), so we cannot hear from him.

I disagree with you on the identity of these poor souls, uniform requisitions and diaries will help and the two in question are accoutered with new uniforms and federal gear. Being on the Alsop Farm is a huge clue and we do not need the Southern records, but the Federal records, letters and diaries. There are only 9 bodies to be buried, in this picture, with two individuals identically uniformed, so if these were the only Confederates buried here, we have already identified them. The stumbling block is to find out if these are the only Confederates buried at Alsops. I have read that from 9 to 60 were buried in the surrounds.

What is puzzling is the lack of detail, in the Heavies Histories, regarding their baptism of fire and subsequent duties post battle. I am slowly going through bibliographies and looking at diaries and letters as available. I believe we have a 50-50 chance of identifying these two.

The Federals would gather their dead and bury together in a mass grave, with identification as possible, for later reinterment and if previous indications such as Sharpsburg and Gettysburg are the norm, Confederates were buried close to where they fell. The dead from the 1st MA HA were collected and buried at Alsop as were those of the NY and ME, according to records diaries and histories, in fact the 1st MA are identified as the burial group at Alsop, through one of the photographs. They fought a mile away at the Harris property.

Rodes had standing orders for skirmishers, but it is obvious that those such as Iverson ignored at Gettysburg, it was not Rodes finest hour, but he received little help from his brigade commanders. Unfortunately, his papers were destroyed after his death (Winchester), so we cannot hear from him.

I disagree with you on the identity of these poor souls, uniform requisitions and diaries will help and the two in question are accoutered with new uniforms and federal gear. Being on the Alsop Farm is a huge clue and we do not need the Southern records, but the Federal records, letters and diaries. There are only 9 bodies to be buried, in this picture, with two individuals identically uniformed, so if these were the only Confederates buried here, we have already identified them. The stumbling block is to find out if these are the only Confederates buried at Alsops. I have read that from 9 to 60 were buried in the surrounds.

What is puzzling is the lack of detail, in the Heavies Histories, regarding their baptism of fire and subsequent duties post battle. I am slowly going through bibliographies and looking at diaries and letters as available. I believe we have a 50-50 chance of identifying these two.

The Federals would gather their dead and bury together in a mass grave, with identification as possible, for later reinterment and if previous indications such as Sharpsburg and Gettysburg are the norm, Confederates were buried close to where they fell. The dead from the 1st MA HA were collected and buried at Alsop as were those of the NY and ME, according to records diaries and histories, in fact the 1st MA are identified as the burial group at Alsop, through one of the photographs. They fought a mile away at the Harris property.
But in truth unless you can match a photo or conduct DNA evidence with a known living relative how on earth can you be sure they are who they are?.

Many soldier's stitched their names into their jackets but those would be rotted by now and I don't think any of the Union soldiers gave a fig who they were they were just miffed they had burial duty I'm sure.

I think your best bet is what you stated finding a dairy entry of men who fought there and lost friends that they name then researching to see if their are any relatives with photos of them.

I wish you the best of luck and hope earnestly you can bring closure to these brave men.

Back