1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Help ID my family photo!

Discussion in 'Period Civil War Photos & Examinations' started by DARling1985, Mar 19, 2017.

1. DARling1985

DARling1985 Cadet

IMG_6391.JPG Hi everyone! I am working on my family ancestry and a box of old photos and I can not figure out who it is in this photo. I came across this website last night when I was trying to identify uniforms and you all seem very knowledgeable! If you can answer 2 questions it would help me greatly!

1) Did soldiers take portraits with non family members or are both these men probably in my family?
    2) I know I have have a father age 44 and son age 18 in my ancestry who served in the Ohio Volunteer Infantry during the Civil War in the 79th, 161st, and 193rd regiments. Do the uniforms in these photos match ones that those soldiers would have worn? If so it must be that father and son! If not, the other possibility is that it is my grandfather's uncle Dewey who served in WW1 and died of shrapnel wounds in France. So does this photo look civil war or ww1?

Thanks much!
    Hilary

chubachus likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. major bill

major bill Captain Forum Host

Soldiers often took photographs with their friends. This is not civil War era photograph. these are not U.S. Army World War One uniforms either.

4. major bill

I am thinking they are not U.S. Army uniforms at all.

5. AndyHall

AndyHall Lt. Colonel Forum Host

What is the badge on the left arm?

Men.jpg

lelliott19 likes this.
  6. Legion Para

Legion Para Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

Definitely not American Civil War uniforms, so this rules out your ancestors who served in the Ohio Volunteer Infantry.

Definitely not WW I US Army issue uniforms.

Photograph is probably pre WW I. The soldier sitting on the right is wearing collar insignia and a badge on his left sleeve. Unfortunately the clarity of the image prevents us from identifying them.

I suggest you post it on the following forum.

www.usmilitariaforum.com

welcome-header (1).jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  7. 7th Mississippi Infantry

7th Mississippi Infantry Major Forum Host

Hello Hilary.

Welcome to Civil War Talk.

I hope our experts can help identify these uniforms.

8. JOHN42768

JOHN42768 First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

Welcome, enjoy

9. major bill

I will be very interested to have someone give us the right answer. I am fairly good with U.S. Army uniforms up until the end of the Spanish American War and then again starting in World War One. These could be a type of Army uniforms from the 1900 to 1915 period but I have my doubts. the seven button are consistent with Army blue uniforms, but not the cuffs or collars. I am also concerned with the badge on the arm. These do not to me look like the style of uniforms worn by the U.S. Army when the Army went to collar disks for enlisted me. I am leaving for Texas tomorrow morning and will not have an opportunity to study this in depth for a couple of weeks. Some one needs to study Army blue uniforms of the 1920-1930 period and also study European uniforms of the early 20th Century. A service other than the Army?

chubachus likes this.
  10. cwmeg

cwmeg Private

Pre-WWI Prussian uniforms possibly?

11. Nathanb1

Nathanb1 Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host Retired Moderator

One thing you'll learn to do is to recognize hair styles by period...these are definitely around WWI. It will help you immensely, as will looking at collar styles--there is a tremendous difference! Good luck....you've gotten good advice on getting this identified!

12. Pvt.Shattuck

Pvt.Shattuck First Sergeant

I'm going out on a limb here but the big smile, the jaunty hand on hip, casual attitude does not suggest European. These guys look Canadian, American, or maybe Australian.
    They are clearly not Army uniforms- no pockets, no Sam Brown belts, no insignia. Pilots, medics, some sort of auxiliary service?

13. Schwallanscher

Schwallanscher Sergeant Major

i don't think so

for starters, the collar got the same colour as the jacket
    on a prussian photo they'd not be so easy - they'd probably stood to attention and be moustached

14. DARling1985

DARling1985 Cadet

Thank you all for the help! You've helped me cross out some possibilities. I've done some more digging and if it is WW1 era, it is quite possibly my great uncle Dewey. I found an obit about him that said he was a member of the Jr O.U.A.M. And while I am having trouble locating anything but buttons and medals associated with the Jr OUAM, I feel like perhaps it might be a uniform belonging to that organization.

15. GELongstreet

GELongstreet 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

The badge on this arm resembles, in form, the OUAM badge. Too small and blurry to be sure, though.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)