Tell me more! Help! I broke off the front sight of my M1863 Springfield!

TheFinder

Private
Hello CWT!

I have a nice M1863 Springfield (actual, not repop) that I had brought in to school to show my 6th grade history students. I have a bayonet that I bought with it that I had put on and taken off of the musket several times, though I often keep them separate. Today, a student asked me to put the bayonet on the musket so they could see what it looked like, and I noticed it seemed to fit a bit tighter, but it still went on fine. When I had finished showing them and explaining the use of bayonets in battle, I tried to take off the bayonet and found it was stuck.

I kept wiggling it, little by little, and it seemed like it was going to come off for me. Then, suddenly, it gave way and came off. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to twist it around the sight since it popped off so quickly, and when it came off, it took the sight with it! Does anyone know what is the best way to reattach the sight to the musket?

Please help me!

Last edited:
Reactions: WJC
Take the barrel ONLY and the sight to a jeweler and have him silver solder it back on. Explain to him that that's how they were attached, because he'll try to send you to someone to have it welded on. It should cost under $20. I've had that repair done twice.

I've knocked the front sight off my reproduction Pedersoli-mfr. Model 1841 percussion rifle. Happens. The first time the gun smiths didn't know what to do because the heat of a proper soldering job would damage the barrel and its sprayed on "browning" finish... But it was fitted on. Then the barrel on its own went over while I had it in a bucket and was pouring hot water down the bore to clean it. That knocked it off a second time, and I've not been able to take it back in. I'm thinking you should be able to find a way to get it fixed.

I mounted a bayonet lug back onto my reproduction 1863 Remington two-bander using a two-part metal epoxy (for the reason I didn't want to affect the integrity of the barrel metallurgy with a soldering or welding process). I snap that big-'ole sabre bayonet on there and it hasn't been a problem. Admittedly I don't stab things to test it, but I prop it or stack it or bump it and no worries. I would think a sight has much less stress than a bayonet lug.

I've tried epoxy on the front sight; it's just too small a surface for the adhesive to adhere to. The join needs to be flush with the barrel and not bigger than the actual sight or the bayonet socket won't pass it. If you never wanted to fix a bayonet again that would probably work, but it wouldn't be the solution I'd recommend in this case.

I probably should’ve mentioned this, but is it important that it’s not a repop but an actual M1863?

Take the rifle and bayonet in to a good gunsmith and he can reattach it without damaging the barrel using a low temperature silver solder. It's a common repair for most gunsmiths. You'll want him to have the bayonet when he reattaches the sight to make sure that it goes on and comes off without binding.

You can silver solder yourself. A well stocked hobby shop catering to the R/C guys will have what you need.

You can silver solder yourself. A well stocked hobby shop catering to the R/C guys will have what you need.

Yes he could and he may luck out and actually get the sight on straight and securely hold and not mess up the barrel's finish but imho, unless one has experience with silver soldering on sights especially on to original collectable firearms, it's best to have it done by gunsmith's who commonly do this type of work.

Yes he could and he may luck out and actually get the sight on straight and securely hold and not mess up the barrel's finish but imho, unless one has experience with silver soldering on sights especially on to original collectable firearms, it's best to have it done by gunsmith's who commonly do this type of work.

It's not that hard. We do it all the time in the NSSA and often on originals. In my experience, the solder on the originals almost never breaks. It's been there for over a hundred years and probably was used in actual bayonet drills. I HAVE seen the solder fail on repops.

Agree, it is unusual on originals for the front sight to come off but clearly it can happen...the other advice on having it reattached is what I would suggest as well. It's not a huge problem. As others have said, it happens with reproductions all too frequently.

Originally the sight, like bayonet lugs, which in this case is the front sight, were brazed on. Yes, they can fail, I've seen that happen on a buddy's original '42. To do it proper requires brazing which is pretty high heat, silver solder should work as long as you don't use the bayonet other than just sliding it on/off. While the sight is off, see if the bayonet still gets stuck. That will tell you if the bayo needs to be worked etc. Second, use the bayo's slot to id the sight/lug location, etc. as previously mentioned.

Propper heating either brazing or solder should not affect the barrel if done properly! Your M1863 will have better metal alloys than earlier, 1842s etc and earlier, and many of the wide ranging (quality varies) repros out there today. This is due to the iron quality of the time, then the steel later on. However, there will be some cleanup of the compounds (flux) and scorch marks that will require cleaning. Barrels that have been relined WILL be affected by heat due to the steel sleeve, adhesives and original barrel material (usually iron). Only silver solder in that instance, and be very careful. Do what is called "tining" the sight and location first after cleaning those areas. Tining is heating the items and applying a layer of solder to them first, then heat and set the sight/lug. A tool that helps center and hold the sight/lug in place will be most beneficial.

This something that you can do, don't rush, and try to practice first to get some experience. Silver solder (lead free) is the easiest and most affordable method. I also recommend MAP gas vs. propane, though that will work as well, just not as effective. Silver solder is quite strong, it just will not hold up with bayonet use. Remember, thats alot of force on that sight/lug!

If it is too daunting, gunsmiths specializing with these arms will do it for you. Modern gunsmiths may do more damage than good; this is usually out of their expertise.

Epoxy does not have the strength unless, its dovetailed or something done to secure both the lug and epoxy. Mr. Byron Ed, I'm curious if that was the case with your rifle. Most sword bayo sockets are a bit loose. If yours was reasonably tight and lug secured, that could be the reason it has held. What epoxy did you use, if you dont mind me asking? It is true that repros have more issues than originals.

Something else, what is the metal condition of the barrel and sight? Is she browned, or has patina etc? That could have weakened the original bond if there was pitting turning into rust (cancer) sight unseen. I've seen very old original parts fall apart due to that desipte looking fine on the exterior, the structural integrity was gone...

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Back