Tell me more! Help Dating and Identifying Military Snare Drum?

bobinwmass

Sergeant
Last year I bought what was called an Abner Stevens Civil War Snare drum from a dealer on the internet. I purchased it for several reasons: my research indicated that the drum was significantly older than Civil War, as Abner Stevens began making drums in 1809 in Pittsfield, MA (town indicated on label inside drum); I collect Massachusetts Militia items and being made about 25 miles from my house, it possibly went to a Massachusetts unit; and finally, the drum appears to have regimental markings. Drum is in decent condition for being about 200 years old, please see the photos below. Stevens apparently had a contract with the Federal Government to supply drums during the War of 1812, and made drums for militia use for many years. I have seen some varying examples of his drum labels dated from 1810 to about 1824 on the internet, but the label inside my drum is bit smaller than those I have seen and is not dated. My first question is: are there any Abner Stevens drum experts out there who know when the label inside my drum was used?
I suspect the drum has seen long use (potentially could have been in War of 1812, Mexican War, Civil War, and beyond), and was likely refinished at least once during that time. It currently has remnants of stenciled letters above and below the vent hole. They are difficult to make out because the old finish has really begun to alligator. The top line appears to say "28th REGT", and on the lower line the first 3 letters are clearly "L A N" the next character is hard to make out, also because it falls on the line of tacks that help hold the shell together. The final character appears to be a "1." Maybe this says "91"? I know not know too many states in my area that had regimental numbers that went as high as 28. In New England, I think only Massachusetts did, and they were part of the Irish Brigade. But Pittsfield is very close to New York, and I am sure they also had a 28th Regiment. And who knows how far from its original home the drum may have wandered before receiving the markings. If the final 2 characters do say "91" could it have been refinished for a reunion of some sort? I have stared and stared, and can come up with no more ideas. I was hoping there may be some wiser minds out there that could give me some suggestions. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

drum2.JPG

Drum1.JPG

drum3.JPG

drum7.JPG

drum8.JPG

drum9.JPG

drum10.JPG

drum11.JPG

drum12.JPG

drum13.JPG

Welcome to CWT @bobinwmass

That's a great piece! I know nothing about drums and so cant add any expertise there. But perhaps in deciphering the writing? To me, the bottom line looks like it could possibly read "L A No 1" (with an elevated "o" between the N and the 1). Maybe as in Light Artillery No 1?

Thanks lelliot19. I thought of that also but think they identified light artillery as battery as opposed to regiments, but not positive. New York did have a 28th Independent Light Artillery battery.

Abner Stevens was making drums as early as the War of 1812 and there are two drums of his in the Old Sturbridge Village Collection, one with a date of 1818 and another 1824. Your drum is very nice with what appears to be original heads, ropes and tighteners. Your drum looks to be a bit later and the label is not of the earlier type. Abner died in 1842 and his son took over the business, so I wonder if the label changes then or...….....?

If a War of 1812 drum still worked in 1861, no reason it wouldn't have been taken with those first units mobilized.

Abner Stevens was making drums as early as the War of 1812 and there are two drums of his in the Old Sturbridge Village Collection, one with a date of 1818 and another 1824. Your drum is very nice with what appears to be original heads, ropes and tighteners. Your drum looks to be a bit later and the label is not of the earlier type. Abner died in 1842 and his son took over the business, so I wonder if the label changes then or...….....?

Circumstantial evidence that points to a father-son relationship between Abner and Moseley Stevens includes the dates of their drums' manufacture and similarities of design. Abner Stevens’ drums date from 1810-1824, whereas NMM 14392 and another M. W. Stevens drum sold by Kovels.com date from 1844 and 1845. These dates, with a twenty year gap, correspond to a typical generation gap in a family. If one compares NMM 14392 to Abner Stevens' drums, there are two striking similarities. Both makers painted an eight-pointed star around the vent hole and both makers used a similar tacking pattern of a circle surrounding the eight-point star with diamonds north and south of the circle. The wording of the labels of both makers is similar. An Abner Stevens’ drum at the Old Sturbridge Village also bears a label with an eagle design that is very similar to the label accompanying NMM 14392.

http://collections.nmmusd.org/Drums/SnareDrums/Stevens/14392/MWStevensDrum.html

If a War of 1812 drum still worked in 1861, no reason it wouldn't have been taken with those first units mobilized.

Circumstantial evidence that points to a father-son relationship between Abner and Moseley Stevens includes the dates of their drums' manufacture and similarities of design. Abner Stevens’ drums date from 1810-1824, whereas NMM 14392 and another M. W. Stevens drum sold by Kovels.com date from 1844 and 1845. These dates, with a twenty year gap, correspond to a typical generation gap in a family. If one compares NMM 14392 to Abner Stevens' drums, there are two striking similarities. Both makers painted an eight-pointed star around the vent hole and both makers used a similar tacking pattern of a circle surrounding the eight-point star with diamonds north and south of the circle. The wording of the labels of both makers is similar. An Abner Stevens’ drum at the Old Sturbridge Village also bears a label with an eagle design that is very similar to the label accompanying NMM 14392.

Thank you for the info and the great link to even more great info.

It is very doubtful that this is a war of 1812 drum as the label does not match the ones produced during that timeframe. I believe this to be an 1830-1840s militia piece, repurposed for later use. Militia designations are not the same as regular army and I believe this to be part of a 28th Regiment of militia which had a battery or batteries attached. I looked at Todd and could not find a MA unit that matched. As previously stated there is a NY unit, but the drum specifically states 28th Regt. and not battery.

It is very doubtful that this is a war of 1812 drum as the label does not match the ones produced during that timeframe. I believe this to be an 1830-1840s militia piece, repurposed for later use.

Ok. "Pre-war" then.

As previously stated there is a NY unit, but the drum specifically states 28th Regt. and not battery.

TWENTY-EIGH'TH REGIMENT, N. Y. S. MILITIA.
The Twenty-eighth Regiment was organised in the city of Brooklyn, and is in the Fifth brigade, Second division of the State Militia organization.
It left the State on the 30th of April, 1861. The official report placed the number of men in the regiment at 563, but the local accounts, published at the time of its departure, put the figures much higher.
https://dmna.ny.gov/historic/reghist/civil/infantry/28thInfNYSM/28thInfNYSMMain.htm

Thanks Story for your continued help and research. I didn't see anything about batteries associated with the 28th NYSM that would explain the LA on the drum. But one of the earlier links you provided mentioned a Stevens drum with ties to Michigan, so I guess this could have been used far from its place of origin also. I looked at Pennsylvania also. While the 28th Infantry had so many recruits that the extra men were used to form a light artillery battery, it was given its own Independent designation. And the 28th Penn Militia indicate nothing about artillery. I will keep widening my search while following the angle that LA may stand for Light Artillery.

I looked at Pennsylvania also. While the 28th Infantry had so many recruits that the extra men were used to form a light artillery battery, it was given its own Independent designation.

Knap's Battery was associated with the 28th Pennsylvania Regiment.
https://archive.org/details/associationof2800asso/page/n23

I think the LAN(?) 1 is some arcane and long forgotten abbreviation from within the Regiment, not a Light Artillery designation.

Knap's Battery was associated with the 28th Pennsylvania Regiment.
https://archive.org/details/associationof2800asso/page/n23

I think the LAN(?) 1 is some arcane and long forgotten abbreviation from within the Regiment, not a Light Artillery designation.
I think that is also very likely and I may never learn more than it belonged to some 28th Regiment somewhere. But would be nice to stumble across something.

Thought I would give those interested an update and ask a couple more questions in my attempts to identify this 28th Regiment drum. After looking at the letters in various intensity of lighting, including UV, I am quite confident the lower line does say "LA No1." Thanks for that observation and idea lelliott19. I do have a query to the reenactors of the 28th Massachusetts Infantry to see if their historians in the group would know of any reason why an original 28th drum might be marked in such a way. (Wouldn't it be something if it belonged to a regiment in the Irish Brigade?) But (and I should have mentioned this before), because I bought the drum from dealer in Tennessee, I guess we can't discount the possibility it was used in the South. I know that in the pre-Civil War years a lot of military items such as buttons and swords, were made in the North for militia groups in the South. Perhaps drums also? Stevens was a prolific drum maker during his time, and had at least one Federal contract during the War of 1812. Even if not made to be shipped to a specific militia group in the South, I guess it is possible that in the 30 years between being made and the start of the Civil War, the drum could migrated south. Is anyone aware of any specific examples of northern made drums being used in the South? As I expanded my search of states that had a 28th Regiment, I also discovered something interesting about the most obvious possibility in the South. If "LA" Could mean Louisiana, she had two 28th Regiments. One served at Vicksburg. The other was more of an emergency home guard militia unit. Any of you Southern boys have any idea why one of those units may have marked a drum "No 1." In veterans gatherings after after the war, did they differentiate the two regiments as number 1 and number 2? Any info or thoughts you may have would again be greatly appreciated. You guys have been great so far.

Just an update as I keep researching items in my collection. I finally found an exact match for the Abner Stevens label in my drum. Looks like this drum may be a bit earlier than some had indicated above, as the Fort Ticonderoga Museum has an Abner Stevens drum in its collection with this label dated 1813. I guess it is possible it could be a War of 1812 era drum. Still researching what the 28th Regiment connection may be, but with Pittsfield MA being so close to Albany NY, I wonder if it may be an early New York militia designation.
https://fortticonderoga.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/32C6E145-D206-48FB-85A5-916195620765

Back