Help - Captain David Acheson's Grave Stone Marker

cwbuff

Corporal
Spent a good hour today trying to get to the Captain David Acheson's Grave Stone Marker. Went up the Weikert Farm lane from Wheatfield Rd and did not see any trail. Tried from the horse trail from United State Avenue and did not find a trail. What is the best way to get there?

Map from the article David linked above. The blue line is the suggested route to Acheson rock.
1561930439630.png

It always a pleasure to see a lady who can operate the technical stuff, like posting the picture I could not! Good job ma'am.
Regards
David

Thanks. I had seen that article, which shows the general area of the stone. But we could not find a trail that lead to the stone and did not want to blaze a new one, not knowing exactly where to go. We did not try the trail from Ayres Rd at Wheatfield Rd.

PS: Lots of buzz about the black bear on Confederate Ave.

Turn onto the John Weickert Farm Lane and park near the barn without blocking anything in. Walk behind the barn and simply follow the treeline north (going away from the barn and the farmhouse and look right). There isn't much of a trail back to the DA rock. It is just a short walk from the barn as you follow to the west or left of the treeline. There is almost always an American flag or two on the sides of the rock which you can see it from a distance. The obelisk looking monument to the 35th Pa Infantry can be seen looking to your left , looking to your west and north.

It can get pretty wet for a short distance behind the barn. If you are driving from Little Round Top, as you head north on the Wheatfield road, the John Weickert Farm lane is to your right. Do not turn left heading towards Devils Den on Crawford Avenue.

Last edited:
By the way, the Weickert Farm Lane is pretty short. The Lane ends with the house to your right (South) and the barn to the north (left). I always park on the barn side. While you are back there, check out the monuments along the south side of the lane. Nice area that many miss as they never drive or walk that lane or just miss it as they go to the DA rock. Nice views of LRT along that lane as well.

Edit. The Weickert Lane is the red line that is in Laura's post starting on them Wheatfield road. Right where the blue line perpendicularly touches the red line is the barn and farmhouse and where the lane ends. The blue line follows the treeline as I described above. Sorry for not mentioning this previously but I can blame it on being really tired. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back