Hello to you all!

hoosier

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Miss Markie, welcome to CWT.

Have you ever been to Quincy, MA? You can collect two for the price of one there, as John Adams and John Quincy Adams are both buried downstairs in the Unitarian Church.

I was there this past summer. I found the church, but the docent who was supposed to be on duty was MIA, so I couldn't get downstairs to view the actual crypts of the two presidents. Too bad!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
You all make a gal feel welcomed!

Yep, James K. Polk, a peripatetic corpse! I have a book with, you guessed it, pictures of all the Presidential graves, so I have seen photos of the mini-temple to Polk.
I have not been to Quincy, MA, but have a brother in law who lives in Marblehead (Birthplace of the US Navy they say) and hope we visit him so I can, so to speak, knock off two for the price of one with the Adamses, pere et fil. One of my favorites is Calvin Coolidge, because you have to really WORK to get there in the mountains of Vermont. My favorite thing about Coolidge? When his dad woke him to tell him that Harding was dead, and Cal was now to be president, his first words? "I think I can swing it". What a hoot!

Thanks for the recommendations on the Cleburne books. Being Irish myself... I have always thought highly of him (ok, not just for his lineage). I will be on Google soon. Oh, and the best book I have read on Morgan, if anyone is interested is Rebel Raider by John Ramage.

Another interesting book, I guess that appeals to my interest in CW and visiting cemeteries is Generals at Rest: The Grave Sites of the 425 Official Confederate Generals by Richard and James Owen (this gets the award for one of the longest subtitles....). The title is self-explanatory, and it is divided by states (these guys got around as much as Polk!).

Oh, and mobile, where have you posted the pictures, here? I'd like to see them again. We did not tour the Women's Museum (I can only get my husband to humor me so much on these trips...) but that is on the list for next time. And the Oscar Goetz Bourbon Museum in Bardstown is also fun! In a school building that was a military hospital during the war (and if I was ambitious I'd get out my travel diary and get the name of the former academy, but I know you'll find it).

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
I'll add my welcome, although you've already noted that the collective "we" has entusiastically preceded mine. I'll watch for your posts. Good having you aboard.
Ole

scone

Sergeant Major
Mt. Juliet Tennessee "The City Between The Lakes"
Ma'am
I do have the book on Morgan, dont recall the page but their is a small paragraph talking about the little battle that happened just down the road from me .. the Battle of Lebanon May 5 1862.. where he got away but had to leave his horse Black Bess..

Just North of Lebanon is Hartsville where he fought Dec. 7th 1862.

Btw.. his wife & daughter are buried in the Cedar grove Cemetery in Lebanon.

regards,
Steven

Wow! Page 85!!

Dear "scone"

The "Lebanon Races" as they were termed. I just re-read that paragraph in honor of your post. I had forgotten that term "headquarterism" that being the 'affliction' of many an officer on either side, desiring to have their headquarters in some nice large home or hotel. It was considered by the author Ramage, and almost 'fatal' affliction.

His wife Mattie and daughter "Johnnie" are both buried near you? They both died rather young, and Johnnie had no children, so it's said there are no direct descendents of JHM alive.

The song about him is my favorite of the ones Bobby Horton sings.

scone

Sergeant Major
Mt. Juliet Tennessee "The City Between The Lakes"
Yes the Cemetery is 7 -10 miles east of me..

"Johnnie" if I remember right became a school teacher or is that Gen. Hattons Daughter .. hmm I'm all confused now.. I will have to double check with thoses that know better than I.

Gen. Robert H. Hatton is burried there as well..

Oaklands ( www.oaklandsmuseum.org/ ) still stand and I belive Mattie and John got married there.?

regards, steven

Johnnie married a preacher man when she was 22 years old. He was Rev. Joseph W. Caldwell from Selma, AL. They had only been married weeks when he went on a trip to England. While he was gone, she died of typhoid fever. This was in 1888. Her mother had died in 1887.

Thank you RebAl

I think this is a capital board. I have already felt 'at home' here. As you can see, I haven't figured out how to move my 'customized' avatar to this board. I was wondering.....

Miss Markie

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!