Hello to you all!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Miss Markie

Cadet
I am Miss Markie, and I am a veteran of many a CW message board. I keep looking for new and different ones, mainly looking for folks that have something to discuss, but can do it in a civil way! I have left a few boards for their 'flame you in a minute' m.o., so I am looking for a 'home' with a liveliness that doesn't get too out of control in dissing learners.

I am a school administrator, I live in the frozen north. Kentucky is one of my favorite states to visit, and Savannah is my favorite city to visit. Besides WBTS, I collect "Dead Presidents". No, I'm not being disrespectful, I just have this hobby of visiting dead presidents at their graves. I have a whole album of pictures of myself 'calling'. Last visited, Herbert Hoover in Iowa, U.S. Grant in NYC, Teddy Roosevelt on Long Island. I called on them all within 7 days last July!

Fifth Iowa

Private
Welcome

I think you'll find what you're looking for here. Diverse (often strong) opinions, but people who are generally open to a well-reasoned argument from others. I've been enjoying the discussions since I signed on.

Miss Markie

Cadet
Thanks for the welcome! I always like a board that has manners!
(I just had a hard time logging in as I forgot my password, mercy me, too many passwords in our lives).

mobile_96

First Sergeant
Welcome to the Board.
I belong to 5 or 6 (losing count) in Yahoo, ezboard, Shotguns, and several more in sites scattered around the net. Have found flaming to be minor in all of them, especially in the Yahoo groups I belong to. Do know of a bunch that are terrible with flaming, and I think its actually encouraged in them, but managed to stand clear of them.
As for Ky, have you visited the battlefield at Perryville or Merchants Row in town. Have some of my photos on my website, and one day will be adding more.
And your hobby of collecting Presidents is not all that unusual, from talking with others over the years. Not really different from visiting local cemeterys and photographing tombstones for soldiers in the War as I've done. Also know others that do same. Some even get to the level of trying to get stones replaced, or put up plaques. My RT is has offered to help with the expenses on fixing a statue to a officer that was damaged during a severe storm last year. This is for a town south of us.
In another group we contributed to pay for the planting of a tree where Gen. Cleburne was killed at Franklin after the the site had been cleared. We did this in the name of a friend of the group, from Memphis, that died of cancer late last year. The extra money is expected to pay for a plaque for 'AoT' to be displayed at the Carter House, as AoT was a frequent visitor there, and a extremely knowledgeable person on the Army of Tenn. He was also a close personal friend of 'Shotgun' otherwise known as Dick Weeks.
So again, welcome to the group.
Chuck in IL.

Miss Markie

Cadet
Thanks for the welcome, mobile_96. I used to belong to several boards, but for me it is enough of a challenge to get around to all of them, and some I just dropped out of because they get too into the personalities of the posters (i.e. the flamers, the flirters, the 'don't mess with me I know it all'ers) so I just drop by the wayside.

Yes, in KY, I have visited Perryville, and have stayed at the Shaker Village near Harrodsburg several times. There were several raids in that area, of course, John Hunt Morgan country. He respected the Shakers and his troops took no horses from them because of that respect he held. If you have not visited the CW museum in Bardstown, I recommend it. It is dedicated to the Western theater, and has quite a nice collection. I haven't the name at my fingertips, but a quick google would bring it up.

On my list of 'have to visit soon' places is Tennessee, and especially the Franklin area. I have finished "Widow of the South" which I found interesting (not what I expected, but interesting) and it has been a while since I read Winston Groom's "Shrouds of Glory". Can you suggest a title of a good Cleburne bio?

My other favorite 'trifecta' in the Dead Presidents hobby is the day I visited Hollywood Cemetery. Jefferson Davis, John Tyler, and James Monroe. The last two are neighbors!

larry_cockerham

Southern Gentleman, Lest We Forget, 2011
Honored Fallen Comrade
We will certainly welcome you to Tennessee as well as the board. I live about 20 minutes from Franklin and really enjoy the area. Andy Jackson would enjoy 'seeing' you. I'm not sure where James K. Polk is buried, he may be around here somewhere as well. Many fine civil war generals rest in the Nashville area also. Come on down!

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Miss Markie,

Welcome to the board. I think you will be very happy with our fellow boardmembers and the way they treat one another. I will admit, there are times when passions run high, but we almost always remember to recover and remember we ourselves are guests here and should treat our fellow members as such.

I hope you settle in very comfortably and enjoy your stay.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

william42

First Sergeant
Hello Miss Markie: Pleased to make your acquaintance. Welcome to the best Civil War talk web site on the net. Instead of CivilWarTalk.com, I like to call it: CivilWarFactsSourcesInfoOpinionsQuestionsOfThoseOnBothSidesWho
StubbornlyRefuseToForgetTheSacrificesMadeByJohnnyrebAndBillyyank.com

Or instead of CWT you can just call it CWFSIOQOTOBSWSRTFTSMBJAB, you know, whichever's easier for you. :D

I hope you find a nice spot for this site on your desktop or in your favorites. Good to have you.

Terry

Miss Markie

Cadet
Thanks again...

for the warm welcomes.

I believe that James K. Polk you will find on the grounds of your capitol building in Tennessee! And yes, I could check off a couple of visits to DP's if I visit there.

I always wonder if the men who fought in the war, and the many others of civilians who went through it, had any idea we would still be discussing it to this day with such great interest. I am guessing some knew that, those who had studied history and such, but for the average soul, I bet they'd be surprised to see how much time we are willingly devoting to their cause, from both sides!

Fifth Iowa

Private
Passwords

Miss Markie said:
...mercy me, too many passwords in our lives.
Amen to that. Just be glad you're not in the military where you have to have a minimum of a dozen different passwords and the systems require that you change them every couple months without ever reusing one you've utilized during the past decade!

mobile_96

First Sergeant
Bardstown

{If you have not visited the CW museum in Bardstown, I recommend it."
Stopped there on my last trip. Have even posted photos of the 'village' they are reconstructing there. The collection of period Irons is really outstanding.
Concerning the quality of the items on show there, its probably one of, if not the, finest CW museums around.
Next trip would like to tour the other museums there, expecially the Women's.
Chuck in IL.

gary

Captain
Welcome to the forum Miss Markie. Now, I don't recall seeing Polk on the grounds of the Tenn St. Capital but I do recall seeing the statute of Sergeant York.

scone

Sergeant Major
Tennessee - From the "The City Between The Lakes"
Welcome to the board ma'am. I live just east of Nashville.

While in Franklin stop by tell Jamie Gillum, Thomas Cartwright, David Fraley and Bobby Hardgrove I said hi.

"Geez I wonder visit there to often since I know all that work there" lol

Stonewall of the west is a good book havent read A Meteor Shining Brightly: Essays on Major General Patrick R. Cleburne by Mauriel P Joslyn yet.

I dont think Polk is buried at the capital but he might be I thought he was buried in columbia.. at his home. Regardless Polk and Jackson are in the Middle Tn area.

Havent been to Perryville , Bardtown or the Shaker village but do hope to soon.

regards,
Steven

larry_cockerham

Honored Fallen Comrade
Polk burials

A google search provided the following. It seems that Polk was more traveled than Nat Forrest, at least after death:

Mike's Notes: James K. Polk was the only speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives to become President of the United States. This photo is the site where he was originally buried in Nashville's Old City Cemetery. He died only four months after leaving office, the shortest "retirement" of any former US president. His wife, however, lived for 42 years longer, the longest of any former First Lady. Some time after the president's death, Mrs. Polk commissioned architect William Strickland to design an appropriate tomb for the president, and he was moved to his second burial location at "Polk Place," his brief retirement home a few blocks from the Capitol Grounds in Nashville.
Mike's Notes: After President James K. Polk died in 1849, he was buried in Nashville's Old City Cemetery. Some time later, his widow commissioned architect William Strickland to design an appropriate tomb for the president, and he was moved to this site, his retirement home a few blocks from the State Capitol Grounds in Nashville. Mrs. Polk lived at this site until her death in 1891. By that time, the home had become quite run down, so shortly after her death, the home was torn down, and the presidential couple was moved to their final resting place (we hope!) on the Capitol Grounds.
Mike's Notes: Tennessee is definitely proud of the presidents who have come from their state. The state capitol grounds has monuments to each of the 3 presidents who came from Tennessee. Andrew Jackson and Andrew Johnson each just get a statue, but just down the way, James Knox Polk is actually buried on the grounds. Nicely kept place in the middle of a big city.

larry_cockerham

Honored Fallen Comrade
Don't tell anyone, but like other Tennessee presidents, Polk was from North Carolina, having been born near Pineville just southeast of Charlotte, NC. Curious that he is now, hopefully finally, buried on Charlotte Pike.