Hello there from NorCal

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

JWNathan

Cadet
Hello, my name is Jesse and I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks now so I thought I'd join and do an intro here. As of right now I'm just a wannabe reenactor, I do enjoy just about anything historic, I volenteer at the California State Railroad Museum, and I also do some cowboy shooting everyonce inawhile with my pops. As I said I'm not a reenactor but I'd like to someday, right now I'm collecting a few things here and there when $$ allows, belt and plate, cap pouch, haversack, canteen, and a few articles of clothing(I already own a set of Brogans from cowboy shooting). I would really like to buy a musket next as I already enjoy shooting my Remington new army and my Walker. A freind of mine and a few aquaitences who already reenact are thinking of starting their own Co. of early war Texas milita so I'm kinda leaning that way with a few selections. If there is somebody askin old questions it'll probably be me, thanks!
-Jesse

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
Welcome Jesse; there are a number of good people here who re-enact. My own impression is typically that of a Minnesota soldier. Steven Cone does a splendid TN private soldier and others here are amply knowledgeable and probably more than willing to answer any questions.

As to gear I am a big fan of Chris Sullivan of Stony Brook Co. The consignment page is priceless and a I guarantee if Chris says it is right... he has based it off an original piece of clothing that he has carefully studied.

http://www.bridgemicro.com/msullivan/catalog/index.htm

If you are looking for a musket or rifle take a look at Lodgewood http://www.lodgewood.com/ they normaly have an up to date consignment page but lately have been lax about updating it. Also the Regimental Quartermaster (do a quick google search) has a variety of high quality gear... though their prices are a bit erratic and frankly I prefer their "campaigner corner." I am particlarly fond of their de**** page where you can pick what model arm w/ what lockplate you want and they come w/ the stocks reshaped... an absolute must IMHO. Though a definate case of paying for what you get.

Stay away from places like Fall Creek, Coon River & your standard low end sutlers. You really do get what you pay for and the quality and service differences are enormous. If you are taking you time about getting outfitted go ahead and get outfitted in stages; it isn't quite so painful that way.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction...

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Welcome Jessie,

I hope you enjoy your time here on the board and have the experience that I have had, learning much about a troubled time in this nation's past.

There are good people here who have different views concerning that time. You will learn much and I think might even teach us a few things by the questions you will ask.

Again, welcome.
Unionblue

JWNathan

Cadet
Thanks Johan, I'll check out those sites. So far I've delt with Blockade Runner and they've been pretty helpful and seems like quality stuff, tho the fur in my cap pouch I got wasn't glued in very well so I cut it out and glued in some rabbit fur of my own. Anyone else use them? Thanks.
-Jesse

gary

Captain
Greetings to my fellow Kalifornistanian

Hi Jesse,

There's a very good Civil War Roundtable in Sacramento and I think their Prez is Fred Blomberg. He's also an excellent speaker and has visited us in the land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars a couple of times. You might consider joining that group as roundtables tend to expose you to things you might never attempt to learn on your own. Belonging to a couple have certainly broadened my knowledge and I got to meet notable authors (William Davis, Edward Bonekemper, etc.) and Park Rangers including Ed Bearss & Scott Hartwig (Gettysburg).

Finally, there's a huge reenactment that's coming up July 15-16 at Duncan Mills. It's on Hwy 116 which is west of Santa Rosa & between 101 and Hwy 1. Go to www.civilwardays.net for more info.

Gary o' the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars

JWNathan

Cadet
Thanks for the heads up on the roudtable, I figure thats a group that meets everyonce in awhile to discuss books and literature, or is there more to it than that? Ya I'm gonna be camping the weekend of the 15-16 so I'll be missin the reenactment. Thanks.
-Jesse

Rad2duhbone53

Corporal
Welcome.....

J.W. welcome to our group. Set a spell and engage in some topics, some trivia and discussions about reenacting.