Recent Find Hello, need help identifying cartridge box.

Rfield

Cadet
Hello Folks, I'm hoping someone here will be able to identify a cartridge box I recently received with other civil war accouterments. I believe it is for a carbine type rifle. What is strange too me is the sheet steel insert instead of the traditional wooden block. The maker is marked as "Wilkinson". I've included pictures of this box for you review.
Thank you, everyone for your time and effort in helping me identify this cartridge box.

Rich

IMG_4837.JPG

IMG_4838.JPG

IMG_4839.JPG

IMG_4840.JPG

IMG_4841.JPG

IMG_4842.JPG

Hello Folks, I'm hoping someone here will be able to identify a cartridge box I recently received with other civil war accouterments. I believe it is for a carbine type rifle. What is strange too me is the sheet steel insert instead of the traditional wooden block. The maker is marked as "Wilkinson". I've included pictures of this box for you review.
Thank you, everyone for your time and effort in helping me identify this cartridge box.

Rich

View attachment 328648

View attachment 328649

View attachment 328650

View attachment 328651

View attachment 328652

View attachment 328653
You have a standard ACW carbine box, though it looks to have a later "home made" adaptation in lieu of the wooden block. Judging by the condition, it may have been a Bannerman piece that lost its block and a collector decided to utilize his sheet metal skills. The fasteners are post ACW period.

I should add that your box seems to be an early pattern, in that it has sling buckle which largely vanished as the war progressed and the boxes were simply utilized on the belt. Nice piece by the way! Most likely a "Burnside" box, but could have been utilized for most carbines with different blocks. The Burnside did have a tin, but much different than the one in the OP.

Wilkinson had a contract for 2,000 cav boxes May & Sept of 1863 and 10,000 Oct 1864-March 1865

Last edited:
That is pretty good to hear! Does anyone know what cartridge this box might be suited for? I figure it'll probably be pretty difficult to find a replacement block, perhaps I'll make one up if I know the diameter of the holes. I really want to thank you all: Package4, ucvrelics, major bill, and James NT for the quick response, assessment and picture, I really appreciate it!
Rfield

It could have been any number or carbine rds as the holes were made a little bigger than the largest rd available.

That is pretty good to hear! Does anyone know what cartridge this box might be suited for? I figure it'll probably be pretty difficult to find a replacement block, perhaps I'll make one up if I know the diameter of the holes. I really want to thank you all: Package4, ucvrelics, major bill, and James NT for the quick response, assessment and picture, I really appreciate it!
Rfield
Most likely a Burnside box which would have had a single two decked tin or wooden block.

Others here provided answers to your question. I answer unasked questions. The question not asked about the ruler.

Hartco Quality Wood Flooring, among the top flooring brands in the world, has a reputation among commercial designers for design freedom. Hartco's range and flexibility also satisfies a yearning for a highly personal, custom style in the home. Hartco patterns and contrasts help define interiors, from traditional to the avant-garde.
Since 1946, Hartco has been a leading manufacturer of genuine hardwood floors. Hartco became well known for its fresh approach to parquet, and built a following among commercial designers with leading design and a powerful bouquet of choices and patterns. A spirit of creativity exists in Hartco parquet, strip and plank floors — across an array of wood species, grains, patterns, colors, finishes and details.
The Hartco designers' palette gives consumers a choice for a custom approach that includes striking Hartco parquets, planks, strips in fashion forward colors and wood species.

Back