Hello,I really enjoy Civil War era history,can anybody identify this small cannon? Civil War Navy?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Welcome from out here in Missouri. I can't give you any specific information on your cannon, but I'll help you keep your thread alive until others chime in.
Thanks Patrick! The cannon is really hefty,does not seem to me its a signal cannon.I have searched quite a few sites,nothing close in appearance.It has the look of a small carronade the way it's designed,with a bore of over 1" it could be used to clear a deck at short range.A navy pal of my father had it in his collection since WWII,said it was used on a Navy era Civil War ship??Lacks Trunions.

Welcome from Arizona where it's always Sunny! Admittedly, the lack of trunions has me mystified. Hopefully somebody will have better insight than I dare share.
Hi Tailor,according to some research I did,in 1787 a Scottish inventor designed the barrels without trunions. The barrels were clamped to a plate that fit into a tongue and groove like fitment in the base of the carriage,when fired it slid back and took out a substantial amount of recoil so that it would not need to be re-aimed all over again,or the total movement was greatly reduced.Bore is over an inch and it doesn't seem to be a toy like item or a signal cannon,the bore is bigger than a ten gauge shotgun shell.If you packed this thing with buckshot it could do some serious damage at close range,The piece is much heftier than it looks,must have been designed for a purpose.The weight and thickness of it is way overkill for a signal cannon.Being a collector of militaria,I need one of you who has much more experience in the cannon dept to see what they can tell us about it.

Last edited:
Just last yer, we had a question about a similar signal cannon, didn't get much response:
1560255987301.png

As for "hefty," some 19th century signal cannon was considerably larger than this, though few were quite this big:
800px-StateLibQld_2_392393_Signal_cannon_on_St._Helena_Island,_1939.jpg
For a similar one to yours, strapped to its original carriage, see: https://ut1859.com/products/civil-war-union-signal-cannon-c-1850-60s/

One also has to ask why bother to make such a puny a weapon, which, at under 1 foot long, could be effective only at very short range -- making it a one-shot throw-away. A shotgun or blunderbuss would have been much more efficient for the purpose.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)