Real or Faux? Hello, I need help in identifying a Civil War Union canteen.

Rfield

Cadet
Hello, I had posted this question elsewhere on this site and was suggested posting it here as well. I came across this canteen that sparked my interest but, at the same time sent up red flags. I've never in 28 years came across any thing remotely connected to [the] 54th Boston Mass regiment. Suddenly, I find this. It looks good to me but, don't feel confident that it's actually a genuine artifact. My concerns are: The markings on the canteen it self. We're any of the government issue canteens marked like this in any way? Could it be an early stenciled piece? And the fabric it's wrapped in. Any help in authentication this piece would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_20190729_151112303_BURST001.jpg

IMG_20190729_151135047.jpg

Hello, I had posted this question elsewhere on this site and was suggested posting it here as well. I came across this canteen that sparked my interest but, at the same time sent up red flags. I've never in 28 years came across any thing remotely connected to [the] 54th Boston Mass regiment. Suddenly, I find this. It looks good to me but, don't feel confident that it's actually a genuine artifact. My concerns are: The markings on the canteen it self. We're any of the government issue canteens marked like this in any way? Could it be an early stenciled piece? And the fabric it's wrapped in. Any help in authentication this piece would be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 318547

View attachment 318548
Welcome from Central Ohio.
Do you have any close up pictures of the writing or the spout? The canteen looks like it could be legit but I would be cautious because of the attribution to the 54th Massachusetts. That's not to say it is not a legitimate piece but I would need more details. @Package4 or @ucvrelics may be better able to answer your questions.

One thing that does strike me as odd is that it says 54th "Boston" Massachusetts. I would think if it was a period stencil it would just be "54th Mass"? IMHO there would be no reason to put the city name on there.

View attachment 318547

View attachment 318548
I saw this as well and the canteen itself is a period canteen with the bullseye pattern. The covering is consistent with those issued to US general service members, but the attribution stinks. Maybe a later reunion piece, but for this to be a field used canteen the writing is not consistent with the strap wear.

The seller buys material and sells it just as attributed, more and more of his pieces have attributions either a stamped US or white “relic” paint. I personally like the seller, but no longer buy unless I can review the provenance myself. He occasionally has some great stuff, but much of questionable provenance, in my opinion.

Welcome from the Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing Forum and North Mississippi! Be sure and visit the Forum soon.
Regards
David

View attachment 318547

View attachment 318548
And welcome from Maryland!

Welcome from Central Ohio.
Do you have any close up pictures of the writing or the spout? The canteen looks like it could be legit but I would be cautious because of the attribution to the 54th Massachusetts. That's not to say it is not a legitimate piece but I would need more details. @Package4 or @ucvrelics may be better able to answer your questions.
Here are the close up pictures of the stopper and the best I can provide on the lettering. I hope this helps! You guys have been absolutely awesome in helping others!

IMG_20190730_164110358.jpg

IMG_20190730_164214448.jpg

Here are the close up pictures of the stopper and the best I can provide on the lettering. I hope this helps! You guys have been absolutely awesome in helping others!

View attachment 318570

View attachment 318572
This site is amazing and the people here are always very friendly and willing to help, I hope you enjoy the site. Thank you for providing additional photos, I feel the canteen itself is legit but the attribution to the 54th Massachusetts is really questionable to me. @Package4 is very knowledgeable and I respect his advice so unless you can get a really good deal or solid provenance I would pass on this one.

I have already weighed on your other post but I see you got your answers.

Welcome to the forums - I agree wholeheartedly that this is a correct period canteen with dubious and likely spurious markings. The "stenciled' (if that's what it is) horn on the side opposite the 54th looks to me suspiciously like the 1872-75 U.S. infantry insignia and doesn't really belong there regardless.

Back