Hello, I am a new member.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

lrd89

Cadet
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I have been a civil war history buff since 1997. I became even more interested in the war after I began to research my family tree and discovered that I had ancestors on both sides. I am currently re-reading Stephen Sears' "Landscape Turned Red" about Antietam.

sgtcsa

Cadet
Hello Ird89,
Let me welcome you to the board. I believe you'll enjoy your visits here. There are many learned individuals who frequent this board, and I know that your forays into this 'battle' area, will enrich your wartime experience. We have some very spirited 'skirmishes' here, so come prepared to 'shoot it' out with the ladies and gentlemen of the South. You will have many lads and lasses to stand by your side as you 'confront' your adversaries from south of the Mason-Dixon line. You'll also find some very knowledgeable folks from Canada and across the big pond to our east as well, and I believe from Australia too. So, no matter which side you may choose, for now, I will assume the North, settle in, and keep your rifle at the ready, and always keep in mind that these folks here are some of the nicest around.....friendly and courteous, and always....................ready for a good argument...:smile: .

Respectfully,
SgtCSA

max

Corporal
Hello Ird89

Welcome to the board, I hope you will enjoy your time here with us.

Max

dawna

First Sergeant
Ird89:

A warm welcome...I know that you'll enjoy your time here!

Dawna

larry_cockerham

Southern Gentleman, Lest We Forget, 2011
Honored Fallen Comrade
Us southerners are mighty indebted to the Indian Regiments who left some fine records of the Franklin/Nashville/Selma campaign which have been a big help in writing southern history. Seems our record keepers were a bit out of touch at the time. We look forward to swapping notes and notions with you! Welcome aboard.

lrd89

Cadet
All of my ancestors who served in the war, that I am aware of, were in the western theatre. I have the compiled record from NARA for my GGGfather who served in Coy C, 38th Indiana Vol Infantry. After leaving Indianapolis, probably Camp Morton but I can't be sure as other camps were there, he was in Louisville and a hospital in New Albany, In. He must have been injured or become ill. He was in the brigade hospital at Graysville, GA. in the spring of 1864. He was listed as being on duty late that summer and Fall. 38th Indiana I believe was in Sherman's March to the Sea.
His brother lost an arm at Ft. Hindman, Arkansas. He was in the 16th Indiana.

larry_cockerham

Southern Gentleman, Lest We Forget, 2011
Honored Fallen Comrade
Sorry I don't know much about Sherman's march from mid 1864 on. My ancestors were tangled up with Hood's fiasco in Tennessee and their subsequent retreat / attack into North Carolina.

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Ird89:

Welcome aboard! Antietam is a good battle to study -- a lot of material exists, and the NPS has done an admirable job of preserving much of the field.

Get acquanted. Jump in. Although discussions of specific battles are not common on this board, I would certainly join you if you cared to start a thread on Antietam.

Ole

A

aphillbilly

Ird89,

Welcome to the Boards. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

YMOS
tommy

gary

Captain
You've got relatives on the North so you're qualified to join the Sons of the Grand Army of the Republic. You also have relatives who fought for the South so you can also join the Sons of Confederate Veterans. This makes you a SOB, Son of Both. Please don't take offense, but this is what one fellow at my round table told us when he introduced himself prior to the talk he was to lead that night. A hearty welcome to this discussion forum.

lrd89

Cadet
:smile: No offense taken at all. I'm proud to be an SOB. Some units that my known ancestors served in are:
Co. C,38th Indiana
Co H,47th Georgia The Liberty Rangers
Co F, 88th Indiana -died at Andersonville.
16th Indiana
74th Illinois
I don't think any of my people were in the eastern theatre. I know that many of them were involved in the Atlanta campaign.

sgtcsa

Cadet
Ird,
I suppose that I am an SOB also. I had gg-grandfathers that fought for both sides. One, fought for the North, with the 77th Pennsylvania Regiment. He was wounded at Nashville, sent home, and didn't see combat after that. My other gg-grandfather, from Fauquier, Co., Va., married and wound up in Calhoun Co. West Va. It was there, in 1862, that he joined the 186th Regiment, enrolled militia, Moccasin Rangers, as a private. In May, 1862, he was captured and sent to a military prison in Wheeling, WV.(also known as Antheneum prison).

He was later transferred to Camp Chase, Columbus, OH. From there, he was sent to Depot for Prisioners of War, near Sandusky, OH. In Nov. 1862, he was sent to Vicksburg, MS, on the 'Steamer Charm'., for exchange, along with 767 others. A Captain Downs, reoganized the old Ranger company, which was then mustered into the Confederate Army, as Co. A, 19th Virginia Cav. On the prisoner list, he is described as a noted guerrilla fighter.

On April 30th, 1865,
My gg-grandfather was sent by his commanding officer, one, Col. W.P. Thompson, to take a flag of truce to accept the surrender of his command, to H.B.Reed, Col. 22nd New York Cav. US forces at Staunton.(Va.) My gg-grandfather had attained the rank of Captain, and was, at the time, acting assistant adjutant-general, of Col. Thompson's command.

So...........an SOB I am, but my allegience lies with the CSA. I didn't find out that I had an ancestor that fought for the North, untill just 2 short years ago, and that, only after I finally found out the long and troubled history of my g-grandmother.

Respectfully,
SgtCSA

rbenne

Cadet
sgtcsa

Interesting that your great great was sent to Sandusky, that means Johnsons Island Prison camp, which was for officers and political prisoners. Perhaps because of the "guerrila" part he was, for a little while at least, considered a political instead of a military prisoner?

rbenne

Cadet
sgtcsa

a little more info, the prisoner exchange of 1862 at Johnsons Island was in September, not November. The regular prisoners were exchanged at that time, "political" prisoners "later"

More evidence perhaps of your Great Great being help as a Guerilla