Hello from Wisconsin

Hello,
My name is DJ Palama, and I've been reenacting since 2000. I am currently one of the few people in Wisconsin to protray a US sailor from the ACW.
Cheers,
DJ Palama

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

william42

First Sergeant
Welcome to the board DJ. Looking forward to reading your posts. It's a good board, full of info, and different opinions. Don't be shy about expressing yours. Lots of reenactors here too. Take care

Terry

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Sailor DJ:

Good to have another deck ape aboard. Do you just enact sailor, or are you also most interested in naval engagements? You'll find quite a number of members with a naval interest.

Smooth sailin!
Ole

ole said:
Sailor DJ:

Good to have another deck ape aboard. Do you just enact sailor, or are you also most interested in naval engagements? You'll find quite a number of members with a naval interest.

Smooth sailin!
Ole
Hello,
I do both, I tend to focus to the daily life of a sailor, but I really like looking at the naval actions in the Western parts of the war.

To gary, it is the USS Fort Hindman that served under so many different names it is a pain to do research on it, but served on the Red River campigan.
I protray a sailor named James KL Duncan:http://www.homeofheroes.com/photos/1_civilwar/duncan_james.html
To Fifth Iowa, I went naval because I've always been interested in the sides of the war that aren't normally seen, and the American Legion found a sailor named Johnathan Breen in a local graveyard.

larry_cockerham

Southern Gentleman, Lest We Forget, 2011
Honored Fallen Comrade
Good morning Sailer DJ. Welcome to our midst! I'm curious if you are familiar with the Neosho, a clad US gunship that encountered DC Kelly's artillery on the Cumberland south of Nashiville about December 10, 1864?

I only know a little bit about it wasn't on 8 December 1863, a Confederate shore battery attacked and disabled a merchant steamer and the Neosho and another US ship steamed up to defend the ship and silenced the battery.

hey der

I reenact a sargent in the 6th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. Good to have another Badger on board. I, too am interested in the naval aspects of the Civil War....from river forces to blue water raiders. I have lived aboard a sailboat for 9 years. Ever seen the Cairo at Vicksburg? Welcome

Calicoboy

Welcom aboard

Speaking of Navy, has anyone seen the new exact replicia of the SS Monitor?

A full-scale replica of the iconic Civil War ironclad USS Monitor has been topped off with a replica of another icon in its own right: the ship's revolutionary revolving gun turret.

In 1987, The Mariners’ Museum in Newport News, Va., was designated as the repository for artifacts and archives from the Civil War ironclad USS Monitor by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). Today, the Museum conserves, interprets and exhibits hundreds of relics from the ironclad that forever changed naval warfare. Visitors to the Museum can see these artifacts undergoing the arduous conservation process, while learning the history and stories behind them. What you see now is Northrop Grumman Newport News shipbuilders constructing a full-scale replica of the USS Monitor that will serve as an icon for the new $30 million USS Monitor Center - a 63,500-square-foot addition to the Museum that will enthrall families with exciting exhibits, bring students face-to-face with history, house state-of-the-art conservation labs and offer historians rich resources for research. The Center will open on March 9, 2007.

There is a webcam site for the ship.

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/virginia/newport/mariners/

gary

Captain
I've been to that museum and saw her turret (it was desalinating in the soup/water) and other parts. The only thing bad about the museum is that you have to avoid trying to get there during the morning commute. It's murder.

larry_cockerham

Southern Gentleman, Lest We Forget, 2011
Honored Fallen Comrade
Sailor D, the Neosho I think was on the Cumberland on Dec 8, 1864. The battery would have been Col. D.C. Kelly under the command of James R. Chalmers, part of Forrest's cavalry. The battle of Nashville was cranking up in some mighty foul weather with the battle proper to commence Dec 15. Mighty rough winter. We have a small park reportedly at the site on Charlotte Pike west of Nasville overlooking the Cumberland. The redoubts are still visible. The river at that point, even with the Cheatham Dam in place several miles west is only a couple of hundred feet in width.

Calicoboy said:
Ever seen the Cairo at Vicksburg? Welcome
Calicoboy
Thanks, no I haven't been to the Cairo yet. I'm hoping to get down there during Easter Brake because there's a bunch of Sailors there for that week. I haven't had much expriences on boats yet, other than paddle boats and canoes. It might interest you, but the tall ships will be up in Green Bay this year, and every naval reenactor in the state will there, mostly War of 1812.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!