Hello from the rebuilt Atlanta!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Do you think you may be related to me?

• Probably.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Possibly.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I sure hope not!

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

espdpoe

Cadet
My name is Patrick Poe, and I hail from the West Georgia area, originally from "The Free State of Winston" in Northwest Alabama. I'd heard for years that my family had moved to Alabama from somewhere in Georgia. Very recently I was told that the Battle of Chickamauga was fought on the ancestral family farm! The search that followed brought me to this forum, where I learned that it was true - if overstated a bit.

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/farmer-poes-story-chickamauga.111018/

This is really stirring me to sit down with my kids and my parents to work through our family tree. Thank you all so very much.

bdtex

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018 Vicksburg 2019
My name is Patrick Poe, and I hail from the West Georgia area, originally from "The Free State of Winston" in Northwest Alabama. I'd heard for years that my family had moved to Alabama from somewhere in Georgia. Very recently I was told that the Battle of Chickamauga was fought on the ancestral family farm! The search that followed brought me to this forum, where I learned that it was true - if overstated a bit.

This is really stirring me to sit down with my kids and my parents to work through our family tree. Thank you all so very much.
Welcome to the forum from The Trans-Mississippi Department. In June last year I got to walk where my ancestor in the 6th Florida Infantry walked in Viniard Field.

redbob

Captain
Welcome to the forum from your Western neighbors, it is good to have you join us. Somehow, the stories about an ancestor's property seem to take on a new life as they are retold; for example, in my family the story was that one of our long past ancestors had owned property on Blackthorne Point in Jamestown, Virginia. When we went to see the property, the Park Ranger laughed and pointed out into the James River where Blackthorne Point now rests-so much for our visions of family immortality and at least your family's property is still above water.

Last edited:

Good morning, Patrick. Welcome aboard.

GS

Retired User
Welcome to the Forum, Poe! :wavespin:I voted in your survey "possibly", because my ancestral roots are in NE Alabama, though I have no Poe in my family tree that I know of.

Podad

First Sergeant
I voted affirmative since my name is Poe.

Welcome from NE Georgia. I'm sure we are kin somewhere down the line