Hello from Tennessee!

Hello! As my user name says, I am Taylor Ratliff and I am starting to branch out to collecting Civil War relics. I have been collecting WW1 and newer militaria for the past 10-12 years, and I have been a member of the Tennessee Military Collector's Association for many of my years collecting. I have been wanting to collect original Civil War relics for a few years now, but it has always been out of my budget since I am in my 20s. The first original item I got is a Springfield M1840 musket that supposedly belonged to my great, great, great grandfather that was a rebel in the Civil War. Since then, I have gotten the itch to collect more and I was recently given some items from a relative that passed away. In fact, that is why I joined this forum because I am still very new to CW stuff so I could use some help on identifying some items and get your opinions if the items are original or not. I hope that I will have a great time here with many like minded people. Here is a picture of some of the stuff I currently have that I plan on buying a curio cabinent for (the cartridge box on the bottom right is a Dixie Gun Works reproduction, but I believe that everything else is original, but might span from the Mexican War era to Spanish American War era).

20190514_210314.jpg

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Hello! As my user name says, I am Taylor Ratliff and I am starting to branch out to collecting Civil War relics. I have been collecting WW1 and newer militaria for the past 10-12 years, and I have been a member of the Tennessee Military Collector's Association for many of my years collecting. I have been wanting to collect original Civil War relics for a few years now, but it has always been out of my budget since I am in my 20s. The first original item I got is a Springfield M1840 musket that supposedly belonged to my great, great, great grandfather that was a rebel in the Civil War. Since then, I have gotten the itch to collect more and I was recently given some items from a relative that passed away. In fact, that is why I joined this forum because I am still very new to CW stuff so I could use some help on identifying some items and get your opinions if the items are original or not. I hope that I will have a great time here with many like minded people. Here is a picture of some of the stuff I currently have that I plan on buying a curio cabinent for (the cartridge box on the bottom right is a Dixie Gun Works reproduction, but I believe that everything else is original, but might span from the Mexican War era to Spanish American War era).

View attachment 307415
Welcome ! I've got Ratliffs in my family tree. A few in the Civil War.

ucvrelics

Captain
Forum Host
Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. Be sure to stop by the Weapons & Ammo, Uniforms & Relics and Vicksburg forums. Be sure to check out our annual get together "CWT Invades Vicksburg". Hope you can joins us. https://civilwartalk.com/threads/cw...tour-the-official-thread.155709/#post-2006411

I see of course the cartridge boxes as well as cap boxes, holster, pistol cartridge box and what appears to be a Jeb Stuart sword hanger. Is there inscription of the wooden hammer?
1557935218733.png

Hello ucvrelics. The sword hanger is marked RIA and I will see if I can get a good picture of the ink stamp on the handle of the hammer. It is kind of hard to get a good picture of it to make the ink show up well without getting a shine from the flash. I can get another picture if you want.

20190514_210403.jpg

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)