1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Hello from Scotland

Discussion in 'New Recruits Meet & Greet Area' started by 'The Bruce', Mar 20, 2017.

1. 'The Bruce'

'The Bruce' Private

Hello all, this is my first thread in the forum here just to introduce myself. Just to get this out the way in case anyone is curious, I'm an 18 year old from Scotland (As the title suggests) living in the Renfrewshire area (An area in the lowlands). I have a massive interest in absolutely anything related to Scotland, I'm just that patriotic.

What lead me to finding out about this forum is my recent discovery into the American/Scottish connection through heritage and ancestry. I will admit, I used to be one of those people that hated when Americans would claim to be 'Scottish' after finding out that way, way back that they had a Scottish ancestor, in for example, the comment section of youtube videos. However, I have since grown a respect for you guys (Not to say that I hated Americans, I just mean in terms of those who claim to have a Scottish heritage as I mentioned before) after doing my research.

I first became intrigued by the American Civil War after learning that the majority of Southerners were in fact from Scotland, or sons and daughters of Scots - and if they were not Scottish, then they were pretty close to it through similar culture from the British Isles, because of all the Ulster-Scots (I think you guys call them Scotch-Irish). It's not just the southerners I have an interest in, though. Of course there was the Chicago Highland Guards, and then of course the 79th New York Infantry. There's also the Clyde Built ships and blockade runners that helped the Confederate side - but I'm also even interested in black regiments during the American Civil War. Don't worry, I'm not some politically correct person that wants to find out about the 'harsh treatment' of slaves in the confederate army (Although, that was an issue on both sides and I'm not trying to disregard that by any means). I'm very much aware that both sides had very patriotic free black folk fighting for them, and not just slaves.

Anyway, I'm rambling on and this probably already got boring to read, so I'll end it off here. I'll probably make a few more threads in a wee while once I've had my breakfast. I have a lot of questions in terms of research and book recommendations that you people might be able to help me out with.

I look forward to chatting with you all,

Cheers

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. rebel brit

rebel brit Corporal

Welcome aboard

JohnW. and 'The Bruce' like this.
  4. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

Welcome to the forum.

5. Podad

Podad First Sergeant

Welcome from Georgia

6. LoriAnn

LoriAnn Captain

Welcome!

7. redbob

redbob 1st Lieutenant

Welcome to the forum from Alabama, it is good to have you join us.

8. bdtex

bdtex Brigadier General Moderator

Welcome to the forum from The Trans-Mississippi Department.

9. Waterloo50

Waterloo50 Captain Silver Patron

Welcome 'The Bruce', a good British name as Al Murray would say.:thumbsup:

We have quite a few British members on the forum, Plenty from Scotland, England and a few from Wales, I'm not to sure how many are from Ireland but they seem a bit thin on the ground, maybe they are all in the USA.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  10. Reb

Reb Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

Welcome, and by the way, I come from Scottish stock. My Scottish family names are Younie, Stuart, Grant, and Maxwell. from the Moray highlands. I am researching whether my Stuart line is from the line who were stewards of Robert the Bruce.

11. Student of Sherman

Student of Sherman Corporal

Welcome, from Tennessee!

12. Will Carry

Will Carry Corporal

Welcome to the forum. My ancestors left Scotland is search of good whisky. (The were chased out) so they went to Ireland. The Irish whisky was not to our liking so we decided to try the Colonies (The Irish chased us out too.) We settled in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains and they called us Scots-Irish. We loved those hills and their we made a stand.

NOTE: American Indians hate it when white people come up and say "I'm part Indian."

Scottish Rebel, Nathanb1, Reb and 3 others like this.
  13. Waterloo50

Waterloo50 Captain Silver Patron

I understand what the Tar Heel state is but how did that name come about?

'The Bruce' likes this.
  14. 7th Mississippi Infantry

7th Mississippi Infantry Lt. Colonel Forum Host

Hello and welcome !

'The Bruce' likes this.
  15. Tennessee_Mountainman

Tennessee_Mountainman Sergeant

Welcome from the Volunteer State, good sir. Descendants of the Scots-Irish dominate the Appalachia, namely the east Tennessee and west North Carolina mountains. One of my ancestors, James W. Starnes, was Col of the 4th TN Cavalry, and his ancestors were Scots-Irish immigrants.

I don't give out my last name on the internet, but it means "mountain" and is a Scottish/Irish name.

about_header_2.jpg

16. diane

diane Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

Welcome! Hope you enjoy visiting with us. Come visit us over at the Forrest forum - a Scots-Irish general!

George Washington gave them that nickname during the Revolution. The NC'ns stuck firm every battle...like there was tar on their heel... :D

17. amweiner

amweiner First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner Member of the Month

Welcome from California!

18. William G Hendry

William G Hendry Corporal Trivia Game Winner

Hello and welcome from Ont. Canada. My family came from Stonehaven to Canada in 1856.

Scottish Rebel and 'The Bruce' like this.
  19. 'The Bruce'

'The Bruce' Private

Thanks very much for the warm welcome everyone!

Cheers big chap, I take great pride in having it :wink: The name makes my Granda and I do non-stop research into it, since we're such a strong Scottish family with a surname that derives from a Scottish king, haha. Wither we have links or not, our family is very much known as The Bruce's, and we're Scottish, so at least we have that.

I'm glad to hear that fellow Brits take an interest in things outside oor wee group of islands (Normally I wouldn't refer to myself as a Brit... but we're connecting here so I'll let it slide :bounce:). You'd think more of us would know about our connection to the american civil war... it's a shame really. I suppose you would really need an interest in history in general to have a drive to learn about it. An annual meeting definitely sounds interesting.

Those are some great surnames, Reb. Beyond my own given surname, I believe that some of my others would be Davidson (My Grandas mothers side who come from the general Aberdeen area, specifically Crawton Village [whos last inhabitant left the place in 1927. The place is now a bird reserve I believe], and Fraserburgh where they owned a famous building called 'Worlds End'), McSorley (From my Grans mothers side - Which my Gran actually told me not long ago that my Grandma changed the spelling to "Mac" in an effort to make it more Scottish sounding, which I find pretty funny), and MacKenzie (Which is not directly blood related to me, but it's my mothers aunt and uncles name who come from Glencoe). If your family is descent from Scotland, I would say that it's pretty likely that the Stuart name is in fact from Robert The Bruce. Since my surname is Bruce and my family are fully Scottish, my Granda and I are fairly certain that we would somehow descend from big Rab himself, haha. :wink: I've done my own research, so of course there's a few other wee things that lead myself to believe this.

PeterT and William G Hendry like this.
  20. 'The Bruce'

'The Bruce' Private

My Grandas mother side came from an area right next to Stonehaven called Crawton. The last inhabitant deserted the place in 1927 however.

William G Hendry likes this.
  21. Patrick H

Patrick H Captain

Welcome from Missouri. My ancient paternal ancestors were Scots.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)