Hello from New York - 2nd Great Grandfather 18th Battalion Georgia

JoanneS

Cadet
Last evening I saw a wonderful documentary "Living with Lincoln" about the Kunhart family's preservation of the Lincoln Legacy. As I've been involved with researching my family's genealogy for many years, but have not focused on it in a while, the documentary inspired me to learn more about my Great Great Grandfather William Henry Hunter Turner who served in the 18th Battalion Georgia during the Civil War. His muster records list him as W.H.H. Turner (some are W.H. Turner) and he served in Company A of the 18th Battalion Georgia. To my knowledge, William was not an American citizen (and I am curious why he would enlist). His family was from England and his parents emigrated to the British colony of Guiana, South America where he was born. The family spent 10 years in British Guiana and when he was 7 years old they relocated to New York City. When he was 12, his mother and a new born baby died in childbirth and his father relocated the family to Savannah, Georgia. On March 1, 1862 at the age of 19, he enlisted at Green Island, by Capt. GA Mercer, Confederate Army, 18th Battalion Georgia. I have his muster rolls through December 1864, where he is listed as "deserting to the enemy while on picket" in Chaffins, VA". There is also a Confederate record indicating he is a prisoner of war, was taken to Washington and then to Port Royal, SC and has taken the oath at Bermuda 100. He eventually ended up in New York city and here I am.

I would like to ask the experts how I can find out more about his experiences during the 2.5 years that he served for the Confederacy and also about his "desertion/capture", time in Washington and Port Royal, SC. I was told by a civil war buff that at the end of the war conditions were so poor that often the Confederate soldiers gave up and walked over to the Union soldiers to surrender. I'll be honest it was quite a shock when I first saw "deserter" on his muster roll, but there are also records on the Union side (per the confederate records) that he was a prisoner of war. Any advice how I can search for more information on him would be wonderful and appreciated. I have a photo that I believe is from the 1870's that I am confident is him (it was my grandmother's family photo) and would love to find out if there are any photos of the 18th Battalion documented anywhere. Thank you

Turner , W.H.H.
BATTLE UNIT NAME: 18th Battalion, Georgia Infantry
SIDE: Confederacy
COMPANY:
A,B
SOLDIER'S RANK IN:
Private
SOLDIER'S RANK OUT:
Private
ALTERNATE NAME:
FILM NUMBER:
M226 ROLL 61
PLAQUE NUMBER:
NOTES:
General Note - See also W.H./Turner
Name Note - 1 (Olmstead's) Ga. Inf.

Welcome to the forum JoanneS.

menvalol.jpg

Last evening I saw a wonderful documentary "Living with Lincoln" about the Kunhart family's preservation of the Lincoln Legacy. As I've been involved with researching my family's genealogy for many years, but have not focused on it in a while, the documentary inspired me to learn more about my Great Great Grandfather William Henry Hunter Turner who served in the 18th Battalion Georgia during the Civil War. His muster records list him as W.H.H. Turner (some are W.H. Turner) and he served in Company A of the 18th Battalion Georgia. To my knowledge, William was not an American citizen (and I am curious why he would enlist). His family was from England and his parents emigrated to the British colony of Guiana, South America where he was born. The family spent 10 years in British Guiana and when he was 7 years old they relocated to New York City. When he was 12, his mother and a new born baby died in childbirth and his father relocated the family to Savannah, Georgia. On March 1, 1862 at the age of 19, he enlisted at Green Island, by Capt. GA Mercer, Confederate Army, 18th Battalion Georgia. I have his muster rolls through December 1864, where he is listed as "deserting to the enemy while on picket" in Chaffins, VA". There is also a Confederate record indicating he is a prisoner of war, was taken to Washington and then to Port Royal, SC and has taken the oath at Bermuda 100. He eventually ended up in New York city and here I am.

I would like to ask the experts how I can find out more about his experiences during the 2.5 years that he served for the Confederacy and also about his "desertion/capture", time in Washington and Port Royal, SC. I was told by a civil war buff that at the end of the war conditions were so poor that often the Confederate soldiers gave up and walked over to the Union soldiers to surrender. I'll be honest it was quite a shock when I first saw "deserter" on his muster roll, but there are also records on the Union side (per the confederate records) that he was a prisoner of war. Any advice how I can search for more information on him would be wonderful and appreciated. I have a photo that I believe is from the 1870's that I am confident is him (it was my grandmother's family photo) and would love to find out if there are any photos of the 18th Battalion documented anywhere. Thank you

Turner , W.H.H.
COMPANY:
A,B
SOLDIER'S RANK IN:
Private
SOLDIER'S RANK OUT:
Private
ALTERNATE NAME:
FILM NUMBER:
M226 ROLL 61
PLAQUE NUMBER:
NOTES:
Interesting story. I know of the 18th Georgia from Bartow County and Olmstead's Ga infantry is the First Georgia. I also know of Captain Mercer. Giver me some time to find more. Welcome

Yes, thank you. That is him. I still cringe when I see the word deserter. I'm hoping to get a better understanding of what happened then. He eventually ended up in New York by 1869 and married that year and had a family. He died young by my standards, at the age of 50. My uncle told me he was paralyzed at the end of his life, and obviously, bedridden. He either was paralyzed in a horse and buggy accident, or the other story is he fell from a scaffolding - he was a paperhanger by occupation. Two very different family stories.

Yes, thank you. That is him. I still cringe when I see the word deserter. I'm hoping to get a better understanding of what happened then. He eventually ended up in New York by 1869 and married that year and had a family. He died young by my standards, at the age of 50. My uncle told me he was paralyzed at the end of his life, and obviously, bedridden. He either was paralyzed in a horse and buggy accident, or the other story is he fell from a scaffolding - he was a paperhanger by occupation. Two very different family stories.
Welcome from the Hudson valley of New York. There are so many incredible members and threads here. I am sure you will enjoy being a member.

Turner , W.H.H.
COMPANY:
A,B
SOLDIER'S RANK IN:
Private
SOLDIER'S RANK OUT:
Private
ALTERNATE NAME:
FILM NUMBER:
M226 ROLL 61
PLAQUE NUMBER:
NOTES:

Welcome !

Eighteenth Battalion Georgia Infantry

Report of Maj. William S. Basinger, Eighteenth Battalion
Georgia Infantry, of operations May 13-16.

HDQRS.,
Sullivan's Island, May 17, 1864.

CAPT.: I have the honor to report, for the information of the
brigadier-general commanding district, the operations of the artillery at
the west end of this island on the 13th, 14th, and 16th instant:

On the 13th, two of the enemy's monitors, names unknown, apparently
new vessels, moved up the harbor at about 11 a. m. and began a heavy
fire on the angle made by the east and northeast faces of Sumter. The
batteries on Morris Island co-operated vigorously with the monitors.
The fire continued with greater or less rapidity the day. About fifty
10-inch shot were fired at the monitors from Fort Moultrie and
Batteries Rutledge and Beauregard, a number of which took effect; but
the vessels occupied a position which was not within the field of fire
of most of our guns, and too remote from those which would bear to
encourage the expenditure of much ammunition. Our fire was therefore
slow and soon discontinued. At dusk the monitors retired. The Morris
Island batteries maintained a slow fire all night.

At the same hour on the 14th instant, the monitors returned to the
attack, taking a position rather nearer Fort Sumter, and also to the
batteries on this island. The Morris Island batteries co-operated as on
the day before. Having a better opportunity to injure the
vessels, our fire was much heavier. The guns bearing on them were
served rapidly, especially after noon, and at the same time a heavy
fire from all our mortar batteries and guns bearing on Morris Island
was opened on the enemy there. Our batteries on James Island also
kept up a simultaneous fire on the land batteries of the enemy. The
result was that the activity of those batteries sensibly diminished, and
at times ceased altogether. The operations of the monitors were also
materially interrupted. They were hit repeatedly, and finding
themselves compelled to avoid our shot by moving to and fro
continually, which greatly impaired the accuracy of their own aim at
Fort Sumter, they finally abandoned their attack for the day and
moved off at an early hour.

On the 16th, the attack was renewed at the same hour. During the night
of the 14th and 15th, arrangements had been made to enable us to
command the position usually occupied by the monitors with several
more of our heavy guns, by opening new embrasures through the
merlons thrown up in front of them. The enemy, probably having
sustained no injury before, came up quite audaciously on this day,
approaching even nearer than on the 14th instant. Our fire was
extremely rapid from four 10-inch guns, one 11-inch, one 7-inch
Brooke, and one 10-inch, rifled and banded, and it was as accurate as
rapid. I do not think it could be surpassed. Out of 92 shots, 35 were
palpable hits, some of them hard. One of the vessels had the proof of
her pilot-house knocked partly off, and the smokestacks of both
were repeatedly pierced. Some shots struck at or near the base of the
turret; others apparently between wind and water. In an hour and a
half both vessels retired, and have not since renewed their attempt.

The Morris Island batteries all along maintained a slow but steady fire
on Sumter. The monitors did not on either occasion reply to the
batteries on this island. The Morris Island batteries fired at Fort
Moultrie, on the 14th, thrice with 10-inch columbiad, once with
200-pounder Parrott, but without effect.

I cannot but consider the action of the 16th as clearly indicating the
ability of our heavy guns to cope with the iron vessels of the enemy.
On the 14th, they were very uncomfortable. But their withdrawal on
the 16th was a complete acknowledgment of their unwillingness to
encounter us for any length of time. It was impossible, of course, to
know the exact amount and character of the injuries they received. But
the slowness of their fire and their early escape from ours made it
certain that it was more than they could safely endure. At all events
must have considered the risk disproportionate to the mischief they
hoped to accomplish by renewing their bombardment of Fort Sumter.

All the batteries at the west end of the island were engaged more or
less according to the distance and the location of their guns, and at all
a high degree of skill was exhibited.

For particulars as to the guns used, &c., I beg leave to refer to the
report* of Capt. Huguenin, in immediate command of these batteries,
herewith forwarded.

I remain, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

WM. S. BASINGER,
Maj., Cmdg.

Capt. E. M. SEABROOK,
Acting Assistant Adjutant-Gen.

Source: Official Records
CHAP. LIII.] OPERATIONS IN CHARLESTON HARBOR, ETC. PAGE 264-65
[Series I. Vol. 35. Part I, Reports and Correspondence. Serial No. 65.]

Turner , W.H.H.
COMPANY:
A,B
SOLDIER'S RANK IN:
Private
SOLDIER'S RANK OUT:
Private
ALTERNATE NAME:
FILM NUMBER:
M226 ROLL 61
PLAQUE NUMBER:
NOTES:
Olmstead.png

Being in Savannah would explain why he would be in enlisted in Olmstead's. the 18th Georgia Company A was in Acworth. which is in North Georgia while Savannah is farther south.

Last edited:
Back