Hello from Maine!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Juniper

Cadet
Hello! Found myself missing Civil War history of late so, after an almost decade-long hiatus, I did some googling and found this forum.

I'm 33, got into the Civil War when I first saw the Ken Burns documentary as a kid and visited Gettysburg (for some reason I was both surprised, disappointed, and relieved to find bodies not still lying on the battlefield; I was a weird kid) dragged my family into reenacting at the age of 14, and then due to life circumstances had to drop out in my early 20s. Which made me sad, which made me kind of avoid Civil War related things.

My boyfriend wanted to watch Gettysburg the other night and it sparked something, and here I am.

My interest areas are basically, well, all of it. I love battle tactics, biographical information, hunting down historical locations, the photography, women's history, related civilian issues... so right now I kind of feel like a kid in a history-related gift shop... er... candy store, reading all the forums. It feels like meeting old friends you thought were long gone.

Anyway, thanks for having me!

Juniper

Ole Miss

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Welcome from the Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing Forum and North Mississippi! Be sure and visit the Forum soon.
Regards
David

Juniper

Cadet
And from the Four-footed Friends of the Civil War forum!

Another Mainer! I'm from Downeast myself (Hancock County), though in your grandparents' generation.
I live in Hancock County myself right now, although my ancestors are from Washington County. I have a few that fought in Maine regiments, although we discovered recently that they apparently were... rather resistant to the draft. My family is fairly upstanding at present so we were a bit surprised, and amused, to see our relatives referred to in the papers as a "gang" that apparently had a bit of a shootout with authorities before they were induced to do their patriotic duty. 😂

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
I live in Hancock County myself right now, although my ancestors are from Washington County. I have a few that fought in Maine regiments, although we discovered recently that they apparently were... rather resistant to the draft. My family is fairly upstanding at present so we were a bit surprised, and amused, to see our relatives referred to in the papers as a "gang" that apparently had a bit of a shootout with authorities before they were induced to do their patriotic duty. 😂
Let's just say your ancestors were sensible enough not to want to go to war, but had to go anyway. You must tell us their story sometime. My only civil war relatives fought for the South! They had moved from Skowhegan to Mississippi in the 1840s, at the same time my own great grandfather moved to Franklin.

WJC

Major General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Welcome! Looking forward to your perspective in our discussions! Enjoy!

Zella

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
I'm officially intrigued about this gang! :D And have uncovered my fair share of bizarre ancestors, so don't feel alone on that score!

Please be sure to join us on the Ancestry forum. It's a great place to swap ancestry stories. :smile:

Juniper

Cadet
I'm officially intrigued about this gang! :D And have uncovered my fair share of bizarre ancestors, so don't feel alone on that score!

Please be sure to join us on the Ancestry forum. It's a great place to swap ancestry stories. :smile:

I'll have to get the deets and write it up. I heard it from my dad, who got it from my aunt, who is the genealogy guru of the family.