Hello from Chicago/1st Minnesota and 4th Vermont descendant

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

John Davison

Retired User
Hi everyone, a hello from Chicago. My name/existence comes directly down from two Civil War veterans, Henry D. O'Brien with the 1st Minnesota and Edward W. Carter with the 4th Vermont, so happy to find this place!

Carter
Welcome from upstate New York by way of Indiana, Ohio, and Maryland. You chose wisely -- this is a great place. BTW. I had two GGGrandpa's in the War. Lafayette Davison. 52nd Indiana Infantry Regiment and Langdon Loftin, 52nd North Carolina Infantry Regiment Fortunately for me they never drew down on each other!

godofredus

Sergeant Major
What a coincidence. I am also from Chicago and my great great grandfather, Reuben R Thrall was in the 1st, 7th and 12th VT Infantry.
As I said, pm me about the Sons Of Union Veterans. We have a good group, do good work, and we are trying to actively recruit both descendants and those who would just enjoy a live Civil War Group - we welcome associate members, those without ancestry.

BrrrBRRRR

Sergeant
As I said, pm me about the Sons Of Union Veterans. We have a good group, do good work, and we are trying to actively recruit both descendants and those who would just enjoy a live Civil War Group - we welcome associate members, those without ancestry.
Thanks but I am a daughter not a son

Well shoot, went out of town for work and totally forgot to check back in until I got the newsletter email, sorry about that.

As for the sneakiness, you got me. : ) I have actually always found it telling my dad's side of the family chooses to keep the "Carter" up front, apparently Edward Carter surviving worse injuries than Henry D. trumps the Medal of Honor.

godofredus- I will share that info with my dad, I'm always trying to drag him back to the city.

Drew

Major
the pictures are pretty cool on these.
Indeed - what's the backstory on escaping from Mosby's guerillas?

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

MC44

Sergeant
I have read some of Charles Cummings' letters home. Very powerful and moving, particularly knowing he never returns home to see his young children. An honor to "meet" one of his descendants.

gkorkala

Cadet
Thank you all for the welcome, I am researching civil war historical material for a book and hope members can be of assistance if questions for this purpose are permitted.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!