Hello everyone! Need help finding information. Have looked everywhere

JB1008

Cadet
I also have posted this in the Guest Forums. Hoping maybe a few more people would see it here and may be able to help

I am trying to find any information on one of my husbands ancestors. His name is Joel Leach, and the only information I have from him is he was born in TN between 1817-1820. The last census in 1860 puts him in Attala, MS with his wife, Frances Chinault, and he served in the 3rd Battalion Mississippi Calvary Reserves in the Civil War. He enlisted at Kosciusko, MS with the 3rd Battalion Mississippi Calvary Reserves, Co B. He was listed as POW, surrendered at Citronelle, AL on May 4, 1865, and was paroled at Columbus, MS May 16, 1865. He listed Winston Co, MS as his home on this record.

I have all of the Census records and his enlistment card. He disappears after this.

I have searched everywhere and this is all I can find on this man. No parents, no siblings, no town of birth, and nothing of his death. I do know that in 1870, his wife was listed as a widow, and in the 1880s she was in Arkansas, where she was buried. Any information could be so so helpful. Thank you!

I had a similar situation with an individual. He disappeared off the map at the end of the war. I got a membership to ancestry.com and was able to locate him in the familiy tree of someone else. It seems he went to Texas and lived to a ripe old age and raised a big family. Ancestry.com is my suggestion.

I have a subscription with them. Even there, absolutely nothing. No one has his parents or siblings in their trees, and there's no record of him anywhere. He was really late in age during his service. Im starting to think he had an assumed identity lol. I dont think he was buried with his wife either

Sometimes the spellings of names on the Ancestry website Census indices are wrong, someting noting close to the correct spelling(s). What about cemetary indices for Winston County? Also neighboring counties? What about contacting the County Clerks office in Winston County for land purchases/sales/property taxes. Also try the surrounding counties considering that county lines do change over time. Keep us posted.

I have no information on his parents at all. I have searched almost every county in MS with every spelling I can think of. He dosent even appear on any family trees anywhere Ive seen

I have all the census records already also. Theres a marriage and census record in Marshall Co in 1840 and 1845, and then the rest of the census records are in Attala Co. Before 1840 and after 1867 theres nothing

I show Isaac buried in Center Cemetery Williamsville
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...Scntry=4&GSob=n&GSsr=81&GRid=48368962&df=all&

I also show S.W. Leach with a Masonic Insignia. There may be some Masonic records with details. Joel may have been a Mason too. Most soldier became masons after seeing how they were trated during the war.

Birth: May 19, 1849 Death:Apr. 22, 1933 Burial: Hart Town Cemetery Yazoo County Mississippi, USA
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...Sst=27&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=61820667&df=all&

SW is most likely his son, Stephen. Hes one of the ones who recorded his home of record in a completely different place. Thank you for finding his full birthday and the year he died! Issac is also his son

I did see that. I emailed them yesterday. Were a few states away with a toddler, so traveling that kind of distance isnt easy lol

Can you post a link to where you posted it on Ancestry Challenged? Thank you so much for all of your help!

Back