Hello! Author writing about Civil War family in Virginia/West Virginia

CP2E

Private
Thank you for adding me to the group! Civil War Talk has often appeared in searches I've done for my books, and I'm glad to officially join in. I have published one book, historical fiction based on my great-great-grandmother's life before and during the Civil War in western Virginia/West Virginia that covers the period leading up to WV statehood. I am currently writing a companion story about a cousin whose family fled western Virginia at the outbreak of the war and moved to Ohio until it was over. My ancestors were Union-supporting Methodist Episcopalians whose beliefs were shaped by their faith. The current story also involves the U.S. Army General Hospital at Gallipolis, OH, so if anyone has information on that institution, I look forward to hearing from you.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Thank you for adding me to the group! Civil War Talk has often appeared in searches I've done for my books, and I'm glad to officially join in. I have published one book, historical fiction based on my great-great-grandmother's life before and during the Civil War in western Virginia/West Virginia that covers the period leading up to WV statehood. I am currently writing a companion story about a cousin whose family fled western Virginia at the outbreak of the war and moved to Ohio until it was over. My ancestors were Union-supporting Methodist Episcopalians whose beliefs were shaped by their faith. The current story also involves the U.S. Army General Hospital at Gallipolis, OH, so if anyone has information on that institution, I look forward to hearing from you.
Welcome !

leftyhunter

Colonel
West Virginia is an interesting state as you know it was badly divided during the Civil War. Daniel Sutherland a well known historian mentions West Virginia in his book " The savage conflict the decisive role of guerrilla warfare in the Civil War" .Let me know if you need some quotes. Should ba a lot of info in the ORs although I understand their not easy to access online as they once were.
Leftyhunter

leftyhunter

Colonel
@16thVA is our West Virginia expert.
In the book "Lincoln's Loyalists Union soldiers from the Confederacy" Richard Current Northeast University Press Professor Current estimated 22k Unionist troops from Virginia most of them from what would become known as West Virginia and most of those enlisted prior to West Virginia becoming a separate state.
Leftyhunter

tbuckley

Sergeant
Welcome!
What part of West Virginia are you from? The Ohio Valley Civil War Roundtable, of which I am currently newsletter editor, meets in Wheeling and we have had a few events in Independence Hall.

Mrs. V

First Sergeant
Welcome from Ohio! My Living History persona is based on my great Grandmother. She was a farm gal, and her people owned land in the Michigan Toledo strip. I came here by way of searching for period bonnets. Enjoy.

GS

Retired User
Welcome to the Forum, fellow writer! :wavespin: from Alabama. Your family's story sounds similar to my own, published as Trapped in the Crossfire, and described in my signature below.

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Welcome! Glad to have you joining in the conversation: new perspectives are always appreciated.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!