Hello and Intro: 185th NYV and 149th NYV

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Welcome to the forums from the host of the Stonewall Jackson Forum!

Ole Miss

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Welcome from the Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing Forum and North Mississippi! Be sure and visit the Forum soon.
Regards
David

Reg Parker

Cadet
Hello everyone,

Diane and I have returned to AZ after six weeks "back home" in Upstate NY where I am researching several topics for a book...that now may be several books as all initial research seems to uncover information that should be written about. First and foremost, the people at the Skaneateles Historic Society were exceptionally helpful in my research and extended every possible courtesy to me. In fact, I have been invited to give a presentation next summer and my inquiry started some dialog that I'll explain in a bit.

Since my focus here is on the 149th NYV, I must state that I did not learn much. I am writing a brief for information request that will published in the Historic Society fall newsletter and hopefully, I will have some response. I was able to review the GAR Post logs that were active until 1923 but it only concerned member dues and notes of graves to be decorated on holidays.

I was also able to find the grave of my GG Uncle, Reuben Evans, Cpl., Co. G of the 149th who fought with the 149th through the entire war. I have attached the photos and I will attached a photo of the Lakeview Cemetery CW Monument (with two Parrot rifles) when I get it off the camera shortly.

My research lead to another discussion of locals concerning a member of the 149th who was awarded the Medal of Honor for actions on July 20, 1864 at the Battle of Peach Tree Creek, GA. His name was: William H. H. Crosier. Apparently, many many years ago, before the Historic Society was formed, the family of Crosier donated his medal and information to the local library. Over time, it has become "misplaced" (my words) and there is now a search including living family members to find it and make a presentation at the Historic Society.

I will continue my research and as requested before, I will gladly accept any help from members regarding information on the 149th NYV.

My best regards to all,

Reg

20190716_130636.jpg

20190729_151942.jpg

Equestriangirl93

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Welcome from the Keystone state and the Soldiers Who Fought On Horseback: Cavalry forum!!