Hello and Intro: 185th NYV and 149th NYV

Hello all,

My name is Reg (Reginald Parker) and I am originally from Upstate NY (Clyde) between Rochester and Syracuse. I now live in Phoenix, AZ and about to retire from NXP Semiconductor. But I am also a college professor at Embry-Riddle Aero. Univ. in Prescott, AZ.

My GGGrandfather, Charles H. Weaver served in Co. E, 185th NYV and is documented in the wonderful book by Jeffrey L. Wood entitled UNDER CHAMBERLAIN'S FLAG The Stories of the 198th Penn. and 185th NYV. (ISBN: 978-1-4120-7874-0)

My GG Uncle, Reuben Evans served on Co. G, 149th NYV. He was from Skaneateles, NY and died/buried there in 1902.

In a few weeks, I will be in Skaneateles for the summer and I am doing research on local records as well as using Geo. K. Collins references on the 149th. I am trying to determine if there is sufficient material, using Collins and other regimental history data to possible write a book, akin to Wood's referenced above that combines all data on the 149th. This is an early investigation so please excuse my ignorance if I overlook something.

Interestingly, the Parkers, Evans and Weeks families all came to upstate NY (Skaneateles and Marcellus) starting ~1830 to work in the teasel and wool industries. In fact, many many people emigrated from Somerset, Eng. to Upstate NY in large numbers. And, I am curious to learn how many of the local regiments contained volunteers from the Somerset, Eng area.

As a research project, I am of course, open to any input and will credit appropriately if I decide there is sufficient information. If you have not read the book by Jeff Wood, you have missed a well organized collection of historical documents and he is my inspiration for attempting this project on the 149th.

My personal email is: Regparker@msn.com

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Cheers,

Reg Parker

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

luinrina

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Greetings from Germany and welcome aboard from The Traveler's Companion and Other Notable Biographies forum, Reg! :smile:

Good luck with your research and book project.

Patrick H

Lt. Colonel
Hey there, Reg, I am glad you joined us. I will never forget my first posts here. I hope you come back often!

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Welcome! You have an interesting ACW heritage: I wish you success with your book! Meanwhile, join in our conversations: new perspectives are always appreciated! Enjoy!

Tom Elmore

Sergeant Major
Member of the Year
I have copies of some primary source materials on the 149th at Gettysburg. If that is of interest, we can discuss using the "Inbox" feature. I have the Collins letters from Cornell University library, Syracuse Journal articles obtained at the Onondaga Historical Society, James M. Smith (Company G) letters from the New York State Library in Albany, Willard Norton letters, etc. Some of these are now online.

Thanks so much Tom. Yes, I am very interested. Next week, we drive to Skaneateles for the month of July and I will be working in the historic society there and at the Lakeview Cemetery. There is a large monument with Cannons dedicated to the local Onondaga regiments with names inscribed. From a practical standpoint, I will not be able to work on this for a few weeks but lets discuss and I'd like to see your material. I am trying to see what else I can find on my Uncle, Reuben Evans. Our families in England and the US have maintained contact since 1830's and one of my Aunts still lives in the same homestead in Somerset now.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)