Hello All

Hello all!

Just found and joined this wonderful discussion area..am really really enjoying reading the posts from your many knowledgeable members.

Long-time Civil War buff here, recently re-reading the MacPherson and Foote books for about the eighth time each (!). Not really partial to one side or the other, but I admit the man I admire most on either side is R. E.
Lee...

Anyway, thanks for havin' me, and look forward to reading more awesome posts...

Dave

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
I'll second both your and Terry's posts. A fine group! You'll have ample opportunity to learn along with the rest of us, as well as to air your opinions and engage in mind-stretching discussion.

Occasionally the debates warm up a bit, but we're all moving toward playing together nicely. And helping each other learn.
Ole

gary

Captain
Hello Dave1861. That's pretty amazing to have read McPherson & Foote eight times. I've only read McPherson once (and that was recent) and as for Foote, I've never opened his books.

mobile_96

First Sergeant
gary said:
Hello Dave1861. That's pretty amazing to have read McPherson & Foote eight times. I've only read McPherson once (and that was recent) and as for Foote, I've never opened his books.
Have to agree. I have Foote's set sitting in a box in a bedroom corner, and outside of references, don't see reading it anytime soon. Read McP's twice, and keep it 'always' sitting in a stack of books at my feet at the computer table, along with 6-8 cw books I'm digging into at any given time.
Anyway, Welcome to the group Dave1861.
Chuck in IL.
http://mobile96.com

william42

First Sergeant
Chuck.. great website. I like the photos of Shiloh, Gettysburg and other battlefields. Newspaper accounts of Ft. Pillow were really interesting, and I really liked that you posted up the Laws of War by Lieber. Looks like you put a lot of work into your site. Well done. :thumbsup:

Terry

Wecome Dave. James McPherson and Shelby Foote are both great authors. Lets see how your knowledge is in the trvia games. This bunch of Southern and Northern boys are great. Hope your experience here is memorable.:cannon: Cant forget the women here too.

Welcome to our group Dave. I like Lee too. I am currently reading Richard Harwell's abridgement of "Lee"by Douglas Southall Freeman.

Foote

Thanks all for the warm welcomes!

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the Foote. He may not present the facts as cold and straight as McPherson, but I enjoy very much the lyrical quality of his narrative. I read the Foote like a great sad novel, which is what it is. Not saying he doesn't get his facts in there, but that's just not what the Foote is about.

Also, I have heard from various sources that if you're a Bluecoat, you'll prefer McPherson's perspective, whereas if your sympathies lie a tad south, you'll get warm fuzzies from the Foote. Maybe this says something about me...:angel:

-Dave

larry_cockerham

Southern Gentleman, Lest We Forget, 2011
Honored Fallen Comrade
Shelby Foote, aside from his decades of research and wealth of knowledge, was a master bser and is best enjoyed with full sound displaying his Memphis drawl.

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Also, I have heard from various sources that if you're a Bluecoat, you'll prefer McPherson's perspective, whereas if your sympathies lie a tad south, you'll get warm fuzzies from the Foote.
I've heard that myself, Dave. I'm a bluecoat who gets quite taken up in Foote. Any writer who can get me to read 3 rather large volumes in a row gets my vote.

I had considered moving his work from the "Basics" section of my library to "Fiction." But he isn't any more inaccurate than a great many other works that do belong with fiction.
Ole

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!