First Bull Run Hello All -- New Forum Host

Middle school is my hand's down favorite age for kids. I'm sure they're exhausting en mass but every time one of mine grew through that stage it made me sad. They've just begun to notice life, still young enough not to care about being adults.

If you had the energy to hang around them all these years, forum host will be cake. looking forward to more on Bull Run- it's not discussed hugely. It's like the shattering opening chapter to some epic tragedy, you know?

Lt. Col. Bartley Boone of the 2nd Mississippi was captured by the 1st Minnesota in the close fighting on the left of the Confederate line at First Manassas near Rickett's and Griffin's batteries. Supposedly, a company or maybe more, from the 1st Minnesota was detached and was on the flank and rear of the 2nd Mississippi. Lt. Col. Boone thought the soldiers firing into his men were "friendlies" and rode over to demand they cease fire, during which time he was captured. Now my understanding is that the 1st Minnesota may have been uniformed in red shirts as presumably, one or maybe several companies of the 2nd Mississippi also were wearing red "battle shirts." That would have certainly led to the confusion especially if the fighting was at close quarters. If I'm not mistaken, Lt. Col. Boone was the highest ranking Confederate taken prisoner during First Manassas. Both the 1st Minnesota and 2nd Mississippi suffered some of the highest regimental casualties at the battle.

Lt. Col. Bartley Boone of the 2nd Mississippi was captured by the 1st Minnesota in the close fighting on the left of the Confederate line at First Manassas near Rickett's and Griffin's batteries. Supposedly, a company or maybe more, from the 1st Minnesota was detached and was on the flank and rear of the 2nd Mississippi. Lt. Col. Boone thought the soldiers firing into his men were "friendlies" and rode over to demand they cease fire, during which time he was captured. Now my understanding is that the 1st Minnesota may have been uniformed in red shirts as presumably, one or maybe several companies of the 2nd Mississippi also were wearing red "battle shirts." That would have certainly led to the confusion especially if the fighting was at close quarters. If I'm not mistaken, Lt. Col. Boone was the highest ranking Confederate taken prisoner during First Manassas. Both the 1st Minnesota and 2nd Mississippi suffered some of the highest regimental casualties at the battle.
Thanks for sharing!

The 1st Minnesota did wear red shirts at Bull Run. Here is a rendition by Troiani:

d8fd7943f0308b929905283b4c3ea1ee.jpg

The 1st Minnesota did wear red shirts at Bull Run. Here is a rendition by Troiani:

"The New York Times of 2 August, 1861, stated that the 2nd Mississippi Infantry, commanded by Col William C. Faulkner, were uniformed exactly like one of the Minnesota regiments, occasioning a mistake in the late battle at First Manassas on 21 July. As the 1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry wore red shirts at First Manassas, this would indicate that by the time they reached Virginia the 2nd Mississippi were still wearing the red flannel shirts prescribed for fatigue by the Military Board in March."

As quoted on FirstBullRun.Co.UK website

Congratulations on becoming host. In the past I have posted a couple threads on Bull Run. Now I will have to come up with a new thread.

Back