Hello all! I found this does anyone have some information on it, is it a reproduction?

martyb365

Cadet
1608251283260.png

1608251086838.png

1608250992454.png

s-l1600.jpg

1608250580368.png

The shoulder area where the blade joins the socket does not look like any original (or reproduction) US style bayonet I have seen. It appears to have been repaired in that area at some point. That's about all I can tell you.

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. I agree with Craig not like any bayonet Ive ever seen.

How long is the blade ? Looks unusually long. Measure the ID of the socket. Post that info. I don't think it 's a fake but not sure of origin. I'm leaning towards a possible European fencing bayonet. The empty screw hole in the socket may not be fakery even though the threads look a bit bright and shiney. A few socket bayonets were tapped for a set screw if the socket was a bit loose but otherwise still useable. A few early American bayonets were done this way but the practice was dropped because you could easily lose this small screw. The screw often had a "wing" at the top so it could be adjusted with your fingers. And a few early French bayonets used a screw in the socket. I've seen long bladed socket bayonets that were made for carbines and musketoons. In the 4th photo is looks like a pin or some protrusion from the arm or branch. Is this above the surface?
I'll check my bayonet books this morning and see what gives. 👍

Back