Hello again!

dhh712

Private
Hi there! I joined this site many years ago, but it's been quite a hiatus since I've been here (maybe some 6 or 7 years??).

I just wanted to introduce myself again. So much has changed! For starters, I moved from Las Vegas to my favourite spot in the world--Gettysburg! (In between that I did stay for a span in North Carolina to research my favourite civil war personality, D.H. Hill, and I also got married). The first couple years here (moved in 2016) my husband and I lived on the outskirts of the area--our first home was in Heidlersburg and our second out in the middle of nowhere in Biglerville. We had just started a farming business and were going to expand into a parcel of land adjacent to our home when tragedy struck. My dear beloved husband ("Vingy") passed away at the end of last year from a massive stroke.

It was very sudden and unexpected, and to deal with the loss I moved out of our home in Biglerville into a duplex in downtown Gettysburg. It has been a great help to me, living here away from the memories. We shared a strong faith in the Lord Jesus as well, and my church family here opened their hearts and homes (literally) to me--I stayed for a few days with twin sisters here who run a civil war museum. My faith keeps me strong and I keep plenty occupied. Besides the garden business (which I'm endeavoring to continue on my own since that is what my sweet Vingy would have wanted--and I want too!) I'm also a pharmacist so my two jobs leave me hardly with any time at all!

Sadly, that is why I am not into as much historical research as I once used to be. I mentioned my research on D.H. Hill. For some strange reason, I felt drawn to him (I have read that many found him to be ascerbic and have a rather prickly personality!) and spent a couple years traveling the eastern part of the country (whilst on vacation from Las Vegas, which I truly detested) collecting copies of his personal letters. It was a fascinating delve into his personal life. I started a historical fiction novel based on his life (drawn from the actual events I had assayed in his letters) which I have unfortunately left unfinished. Out of all the books I've written (all unpublished--three science-fiction/fantasy and one historical fiction), it's the only one to have a title! I'm convinced--perhaps from my usual pessimism that has been even more cultivated by the fascinating Hill--that because of that, it is likely to remain unfinished.

Well, I just wanted to say a quick (sort of) hello in case I do happen to post on here (which I hope to!). Before the tragedy with my beloved, I used to post very frequently on two other forums and I hadn't realized how much time it consumed of me. So while I probably won't post as frequently, it would be nice to have an outlet again for when some thought or two comes along in response to a post and I feel it would be so nice to write it all out!

Hope to speak with some of you on the forums!
Anne Maxwell

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Ole Miss

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Welcome from the Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing Forum and North Mississippi! Be sure and visit the Forum soon.
Regards
David

lelliott19

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Hello Anne Maxwell and welcome back to Civil War Talk - the best place on the internet for Civil War discussion.

You might be surprised to learn that a very small group here actually formed an "Official" D. H. Hill Fan Club. (At least we didn't try to organize a Braxton Bragg Fan Club.:nah disagree:)

Membership in the Official D H Hill Fan Club is open to all - there are no membership fees; no initiation rituals; and no especial mathematical skills are required. :D So far, we have President: @OldReliable1862 Vice President: @Nathanb1 Treasurer: @luinrina and Members: @BillO @RochesterBill and myself.

In order to advance the club, we agreed that it would be necessary to elect a Treasurer who has a complete understanding of D H Hill mathematics. @luinrina fits the bill and will be organizing our annual nutmeg sale soon. Let me know if you would like to join. :D Again welcome back to CWT. Pleased you have decided to rejoin us in the discussions.

Last edited:
Hi there! I joined this site many years ago, but it's been quite a hiatus since I've been here (maybe some 6 or 7 years??).

I just wanted to introduce myself again. So much has changed! For starters, I moved from Las Vegas to my favourite spot in the world--Gettysburg! (In between that I did stay for a span in North Carolina to research my favourite civil war personality, D.H. Hill, and I also got married). The first couple years here (moved in 2016) my husband and I lived on the outskirts of the area--our first home was in Heidlersburg and our second out in the middle of nowhere in Biglerville. We had just started a farming business and were going to expand into a parcel of land adjacent to our home when tragedy struck. My dear beloved husband ("Vingy") passed away at the end of last year from a massive stroke.

It was very sudden and unexpected, and to deal with the loss I moved out of our home in Biglerville into a duplex in downtown Gettysburg. It has been a great help to me, living here away from the memories. We shared a strong faith in the Lord Jesus as well, and my church family here opened their hearts and homes (literally) to me--I stayed for a few days with twin sisters here who run a civil war museum. My faith keeps me strong and I keep plenty occupied. Besides the garden business (which I'm endeavoring to continue on my own since that is what my sweet Vingy would have wanted--and I want too!) I'm also a pharmacist so my two jobs leave me hardly with any time at all!

Sadly, that is why I am not into as much historical research as I once used to be. I mentioned my research on D.H. Hill. For some strange reason, I felt drawn to him (I have read that many found him to be ascerbic and have a rather prickly personality!) and spent a couple years traveling the eastern part of the country (whilst on vacation from Las Vegas, which I truly detested) collecting copies of his personal letters. It was a fascinating delve into his personal life. I started a historical fiction novel based on his life (drawn from the actual events I had assayed in his letters) which I have unfortunately left unfinished. Out of all the books I've written (all unpublished--three science-fiction/fantasy and one historical fiction), it's the only one to have a title! I'm convinced--perhaps from my usual pessimism that has been even more cultivated by the fascinating Hill--that because of that, it is likely to remain unfinished.

Well, I just wanted to say a quick (sort of) hello in case I do happen to post on here (which I hope to!). Before the tragedy with my beloved, I used to post very frequently on two other forums and I hadn't realized how much time it consumed of me. So while I probably won't post as frequently, it would be nice to have an outlet again for when some thought or two comes along in response to a post and I feel it would be so nice to write it all out!

Hope to speak with some of you on the forums!
Anne Maxwell
Welcome back ! https://civilwartalk.com/threads/confederate-veteran-james-daniel-moore-of-caldwell-county-nc-civil-war-remembrances.123810/

OldReliable1862

Sergeant
Forum Host
Hello Anne Maxwell and welcome back to Civil War Talk - the best place on the internet for Civil War discussion.

You might be surprised to learn that a very small group here actually formed a Official D. H. Hill Fan Club. (At least we didnt try to organize a Braxton Bragg Fan Club.)

Membership in the Official D H Hill Fan Club is open to all - there are no membership fees; no initiation rituals; and no especial mathematical skills are required. :D So far, we have President: @OldReliable1862 Vice President: @Nathanb1 and Members: @BillO @RochesterBill and myself.

In order to advance the club and collect dues, we agreed that it would be necessary to elect a Treasurer who has a complete understanding of D H Hill mathematics. So far, no one has come forward. Let me know if you would like to join. :D Again welcome back to CWT. Pleased you have decided to rejoin us in the discussions.
On behalf of the Official D. H. Hill Fan Club, I welcome you back to CWT. I highly recommend you join our noble body, humble though we are.

Eleanor Rose

Captain
Forum Host
Oh @dhh712, thank you for sharing your story with us. Please accept my sincere condolences for the loss of your husband. I'm so glad you found your way back to CWT. I'm co-host of the Mid-19th Century Life forum so it's my pleasure to invite you over for a visit. This forum covers everything Victorian, from how our 19th century friends celebrated holidays to how they lived their daily lives. Please stop by for a visit! Your contributions will certainly be welcomed. I look forward to chatting with you Anne.

Lubliner

First Sergeant
A sincere condolence.
Thinking of D. H. H. and T. J. J., being brothers-in-law, and both being Presbyterian. I can understand the kindred spark of attractions. On my part being a desire to serve with, while yours being a desire to serve. I think you may feel compelled to finish the one on Harvey. I would like you to.
Lubliner.

luinrina

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Greetings from Germany and welcome back from The Traveler's Companion and Other Notable Biographies forum, Anne! :smile: My sincere condolences for the loss of your husband.

And don't give up on that book! You've got this in you. :smile:
What dixie said! I'd LOVE to read a novel about D.H. Hill!

Membership in the Official D H Hill Fan Club is open to all - there are no membership fees; no initiation rituals; and no especial mathematical skills are required. :D So far, we have President: @OldReliable1862 Vice President: @Nathanb1 and Members: @BillO @RochesterBill and myself.
:cry: Why am I still not a member? :cry:

Steph-GB

Sergeant
Hello and welcome back!

Sorry to hear of the loss of your other half, but I’m glad to hear you are doing well and have been a busy many years! Enjoy your time back :smile:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!