Longstreet Golden Thread Helen Dortch Longstreet in Pictures

Well, I took the plunge. No true Longstreet Library should be without at least two Helen Dortch Longstreet books. I’ve now aquired my quota. :smile:

:thumbsup:

I guess this will be a different kind of book than the ones you normally read... but hey, Christmas is the season for love, so why not read about a great love for a change...

Why did Helen marry General Longstreet, a man 42 years her senior? Here's what she said:

"Because I love him, to be sure, for no true woman would ever marry a man whom she did not love. When he asked my hand in marriage, I granted it, knowing that I was entrusting my life and happiness to one of the noblest men God ever made."
Eleanor. Unfortunately, people don't talk like this anymore at least up here in Pennsylvania. David.

This is a very interesting thread. I was out of town, and I didn't take a computer, so I didn't see this thread until today. I really enjoyed reading it, and all of the new information and pictures I have never seen before. Thanks for starting the thread @Eleanor Rose @FarawayFriend @NH Civil Gal and all of the others for making it so memorable.

This is a very interesting thread. I was out of town, and I didn't take a computer, so I didn't see this thread until today. I really enjoyed reading it, and all of the new information and pictures I have never seen before. Thanks for starting the thread @Eleanor Rose @FarawayFriend and all of the others for making it so memorable.

Thanks @mofederal! @FarawayFriend friend encouraged me and I really enjoyed sharing what I could find. I always appreciate everyone who contributes along the way. I have learned some things too!

I think you all will agree that this thread here absolutely deserves a Golden Thread nomination.
Therefore I did it a minute ago.
:smile:

That's so kind of you @FarawayFriend! I'm sure Helen would be honored to be nominated. I really appreciated Ami featuring it on the home page. I'm sure some folks took notice that might not have otherwise. Now we've got to get @War Horse to do a thread on places/bridges/sites named for our long suffering General!

That's so kind of you @FarawayFriend! I'm sure Helen would be honored to be nominated. I really appreciated Ami featuring it on the home page. I'm sure some folks took notice that might not have otherwise. Now we've got to get @War Horse to do a thread on places/bridges/sites named for our long suffering General!
:smile: I’m actually working on my next Longstreet thread at the moment. Sadly it’s not about things named after the man. Please feel free to do so. I no nothething on the subject.

2CC5D6EF-4361-4F17-87F0-05CBA737C782.jpeg

Last edited:
:smile: I’m actually working on my next Longstreet thread at the moment. Sadly it’s not about things named after the man. Please feel free to do so. I no nothething on the subject.

View attachment 167716

No pressure! Andrea and I just concede your abundant knowledge of all things Longstreet (and I mean that as a compliment). :smile:

Back