"Hearts in Bondage" 1936 Civil War film has some interesting music

Claude Bauer

First Sergeant
Forum Host
This 1936 Civil War film, "Hearts in Bondage" is about the USS Monitor and its battle with the USS Virginia (aka Merrimack). How that title works with the subject matter of the movie, I have no idea. But just after the opening credits, there's a fifer and a drummer playing "John Brown's Body," aka "Battle Hymn of the Republic" (this scene is just pre-war so it would have to be the former). Wow, they've got some serious technique issues, LOL! And the fifer has a mouthpiece (inaccurately called a "cheater") on his instrument!

It's also fun when the two officers walk off singing "The Girl I Left Behind Me," which is a standard F&D tune, but it's rare to hear someone singing it.

Last edited:
Never heard of this movie. Thanks for posting.
I hadn't either until today! Someone posted it on Facebook because today is the 159th anniversary of the battle between the Monitor and the USS Virginia.

Side note: the "Mammy" in this movie is played by Etta McDaniel, who was the sister of Hattie McDaniel, who played a similarly named character in Gone With the Wind (she tightened the breath right out of Scarlett O'Hara with that corset!). Etta's first movie role was playing a native in the original King Kong.

You have to wonder what roles they might have played if they'd lived today....

Side note: the "Mammy" in this movie is played by Etta McDaniel, who was the sister of Hattie McDaniel, who played a similarly named character in Gone With the Wind (she tightened the breath right out of Scarlett O'Hara with that corset!). Etta's first movie role was playing a native in the original King Kong.

You have to wonder what roles they might have played if they'd lived today....
Trivia, I noticed the name in the credits and wondered if related. Thanks

I don’t think I’ve ever heard the Battle Hymn played in that tempo, but I kinda like it. Be tough to get all the words out tho!

Back