Healthy, Silky Hair in the 19th Century

My hair has a bit of a wave in it when it is long. When it is shorter, it has much more wave, which I can only attribute to the lighter weight.
I never use hairspray either, except on very rare occasions, hence I share your dishevelled appearance. :laugh: I have a friend who never has a hair out of place, but her hair feels hard and unnatural. It is also thinning to the point that you can see her scalp quite readily. I tell her it is all the years of dyeing and all the hair products she uses that have ruined her scalp. :frantic:
I hate that hard helmet hair feel! I experimented with some hair care products once upon a time--which always backfires on me because I end up being allergic, so I don't even try anymore--but I was horrified by the crunchiness. That ain't right!

I've never actually dyed my hair. I always avoided it because I'm pretty sure my mother fried her naturally gorgeous curly hair with overtreatments and non-stop dye jobs. Still laugh about when she accidentally dyed her hair purple. LOL In any event, my hair is so dark, I suspect it would be difficult to dye without using a lot of it. It'd probably look weird with my coloring anyway.

I've never actually dyed my hair. I always avoided it because I'm pretty sure my mother fried her naturally gorgeous curly hair with overtreatments and non-stop dye jobs. Still laugh about when she accidentally dyed her hair purple. LOL In any event, my hair is so dark, I suspect it would be difficult to dye without using a lot of it. It'd probably look weird with my coloring anyway.

When I was in my twenties I wanted to have red hair and so I used a shampoo for red hair, as I could not find the courage to dye it red... and after I had emptied one bottle over several weeks, my hair was not copper red, as I had hoped, but "strawberry blonde" which actually is a sort of pink. Ugh! That was my only experience with hair dye - I'm fortunate that in blonde hair the grey strands are not standing out that much…

A few years ago I was in Vienna and visited the Imperial Palace, the Hofburg and was told about Empress Elisabeth ("Sissi") and her hair care routine. I found this site, telling about her "home spa" days…
Sissi.JPG

https://thebeautygypsy.com/sisi-beauty-tips-from-19th-century/

When I was in my twenties I wanted to have red hair and so I used a shampoo for red hair, as I could not find the courage to dye it red... and after I had emptied one bottle over several weeks, my hair was not copper red, as I had hoped, but "strawberry blonde" which actually is a sort of pink. Ugh! That was my only experience with hair dye - I'm fortunate that in blonde hair the grey strands are not standing out that much…

A few years ago I was in Vienna and visited the Imperial Palace, the Hofburg and was told about Empress Elisabeth ("Sissi") and her hair care routine. I found this site, telling about her "home spa" days…
View attachment 210142
I suspect my mom was aiming for red hair when she ended up with purple. She had auburn-ish hair naturally, so she probably should have just left well enough alone!

That's an intense haircare routine! Now I see what is lacking in my own routine. Regular cognac and egg yolk washes. :D

I hate that hard helmet hair feel! I experimented with some hair care products once upon a time--which always backfires on me because I end up being allergic, so I don't even try anymore--but I was horrified by the crunchiness. That ain't right!

I have never dyed my hair either. I dyed my mother's hair for her for years and the smell was enough to put me off dyeing my own. I always was concerned about the environmental and potential health effects of hair dye. I am also one of the least concerned people with my looks. I never wear make-up either. I too have allergies to many "beauty" products and I cannot really be bothered. I know a woman who used to spend two hours every morning doing her hair and make-up. I always thought that was such a waste of time when you could be reading a book or doing something interesting, instead of staring at your face!:eek:

View attachment 210142
I always had a feeling of romanticized connection to this tragic woman, so I appreciate that you posted this, FF! I will read it with great interest!

My grandmother had naturally curly hair, which was common with Shastas, and I have it as well. Sandy hair was, too - which is probably how my brother ended up with hair the color of Prince Harry's. Everybody thinks Indians have straight black hair! :D

I'd always been told hair dye was poison! Never have been able to handle a beauty salon - tried a couple times... NOT a happy experience! (Besides, you have to know enough to tell them what to do...and what not to do...:x3:) Back to the back porch.

@diane is the wild lilac the same as the lilac we have in the northeast? What parts of the plant are they using?

I don't know about back east. It's very common here and is beautiful in the spring when it blooms - white and purple. Is that your variety? The blossoms are used, preferably fresh, but often dried. They're less fragrant then but have good oils in them.

I'd always been told hair dye was poison! Never have been able to handle a beauty salon - tried a couple times... NOT a happy experience! (Besides, you have to know enough to tell them what to do...and what not to do...:x3:) Back to the back porch.
I thought I was the only one that hated going to the hairdresser! Whew, good to know other hate it too.

I have never dyed my hair either. I dyed my mother's hair for her for years and the smell was enough to put me off dyeing my own. I always was concerned about the environmental and potential health effects of hair dye. I am also one of the least concerned people with my looks. I never wear make-up either. I too have allergies to many "beauty" products and I cannot really be bothered. I know a woman who used to spend two hours every morning doing her hair and make-up. I always thought that was such a waste of time when you could be reading a book or doing something interesting, instead of staring at your face!:eek:
I don't wear makeup either! Partially due to allergies and partially due to apathy. :D

I use some Burts Bee's skin care products because they don't bother me and also because they seem to help my complexion, and that's about the extent of my routine.

I have heard they washed it once a month and it took a whole day to wash and dry it. Warming up sufficient amounts of water alone must have needed hours. Although rinsing hair with cold water is said to have a beautifying effect, it makes the hair more glossy. Some women washed their hair in portions, one side of the head first, then the other. The hair was then brushed in front of the fireplace until dry, which must have required lots and lots of time and sure could only be done in the upper social spheres…. I'm not sure how often housemaids or farmer's wives could afford the time to occupy themselves with beauty rituals like these!
Thanks. (I've read all the other posts before replying here.) We discover in your post #42 that Empress Elisabeth washed her hair every two weeks.

I don't know about back east. It's very common here and is beautiful in the spring when it blooms - white and purple. Is that your variety? The blossoms are used, preferably fresh, but often dried. They're less fragrant then but have good oils in them.
The common purple lilac. Syringa vulgaris, in the one most often seen here in the East. I imagine it is the same thing. Is the water distilled of steeped?

I also don't like going to a hair stylist. Actually avoided getting my hair cut for years because I loathed it so much. I did have one I went to regularly and didn't mind for awhile several years ago. This is the ultimate small-town story. Her husband is a family friend, and for some reason, all his wives end up being hairdressers. It's . . . odd. You wouldn't think you could run through that many single hairdressers in a small town, but you can apparently. Anyway, I used her until they divorced, and then boycotted going to anyone else until this year. She's really good. She's not overly chatty, she does a good job, she's fast, she's not expensive, she listens, and she gives me good advice without making me feel like a fashion-impaired idiot. So, for the first time in my life, I get regular haircuts. I hope she doesn't move!

The common purple lilac. Syringa vulgaris, in the one most often seen here in the East. I imagine it is the same thing. Is the water distilled of steeped?

Oh, that's one of my favorite flowers! Love the deep purple. But the wild lilac out here has smaller, more scraggly appearance. More like buckbrush. We just make it like a tea, as you say steeped.

I don't wear makeup either! Partially due to allergies and partially due to apathy. :D

I use some Burts Bee's skin care products because they don't bother me and also because they seem to help my complexion, and that's about the extent of my routine.
Ditto! Apathy rules!
Seriously, I was looking at the pictures of these young women in the group photograph, and, even thought they are not classically beautiful or even particularly pretty, I was thinking how lovely they looked without make-up, so fresh and innocent. So many young women today wear so much make-up, they look a bit tarty to me. I guess I am just an old fogie.

I also don't like going to a hair stylist. Actually avoided getting my hair cut for years because I loathed it so much. I did have one I went to regularly and didn't mind for awhile several years ago. This is the ultimate small-town story. Her husband is a family friend, and for some reason, all his wives end up being hairdressers. It's . . . odd. You wouldn't think you could run through that many single hairdressers in a small town, but you can apparently. Anyway, I used her until they divorced, and then boycotted going to anyone else until this year. She's really good. She's not overly chatty, she does a good job, she's fast, she's not expensive, she listens, and she gives me good advice without making me feel like a fashion-impaired idiot. So, for the first time in my life, I get regular haircuts. I hope she doesn't move!
Where do you live? I may have to visit her!:bounce:

Burts Bees is pretty good for me, too. Having allergies to beauty products is irritating. Oooh, look, blackberry vanilla skin cream...ooh, doc, give me something for these hives...! :redface: Friends - why don't you wear some lipstick? I will if I ever find one that doesn't make it look like my husband socked me in the mouth... :tongue: It's very, very difficult going to a beauty salon full of chemical smells.

Burts Bees is pretty good for me, too. Having allergies to beauty products is irritating. Oooh, look, blackberry vanilla skin cream...ooh, doc, give me something for these hives...! :redface: Friends - why don't you wear some lipstick? I will if I ever find one that doesn't make it look like my husband socked me in the mouth... :tongue: It's very, very difficult going to a beauty salon full of chemical smells.
YES!

My friends try to give me advice on makeup and beauty products, and I'm polite, but why bother? I already know it's just going to make me miserable.

The only other thing besides Burts Bees that's worked for me without causing my face to burn like Atlanta is Cetaphil, so I use that too.

Back