Healthy Foods For 2014

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I know many of you made New Years Resolutions as I have. One of mine was to prepare healthier foods for my husband and myself. Many think taking away foods is the answer. However, nutritionists say adding healthful foods to your diet makes it easier to kick bad habits, curb boredom, and increase variety. The greater the variety, the better the likelihood of eating the full range of nutrients needed for optimal health.

There is no shortage of healthful foods to add to a "must-eat" list for 2014. I suggest, which was pointed out in health article in our paper, five of these: garbanzo beans, collard greens, tofu, sardines and almond milk. Along with being healthful, all are simple to prepare, available in most groceries, and inexpensive. It is hard to beat fast, convenient and cheap.

In future posts, I will give why these are healthful and try to find different recipes for them.

Garbanzo Beans. They are also called chickpeas. They are filled with soluble fiber that has the potential to lower the risk of heart disease. Another advantage of eating fiber-rich garbanzos, is that they help control blood-sugar levels, especially good news for diabetics.

They are an excellent source of protein, B vitamins, calcium and iron, and all this for just a few dimes a serving. Also a cup of garbanzo beans supplies about 27 percent of daily protein requirements, and without saturated fat or cholesterol. The same serving of this Middle Eastern staple contains about 295 calories.

Serving suggestions: Toss in salads, add to soups or, for a crunchy snack, season with salt and roast at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

Collard Greens: They are equally healthful and versatile as kale. They are packed with powerful compounds that help reduce inflammation that can lead to cancer and heart attacks. They contain generous amounts of vitamins A and C, riboflavin and iron, but few calories and no fat or cholesterol.

Collard Greens are a relative of broccoli and cabbage and are rich in calcium.

Serving Suggestions: Collard Greens can be tossed in salads, braised, fried into chips, tossed into soups and pasta, and juiced.

Collard Greens have always been served in south. Slave cooks prepared it often for themselves and for the family who lived in the plantation house.

Collard Greens: They are equally healthful and versatile as kale. They are packed with powerful compounds that help reduce inflammation that can lead to cancer and heart attacks. They contain generous amounts of vitamins A and C, riboflavin and iron, but few calories and no fat or cholesterol.

Serving Suggestions: Collard Greens can be tossed in salads, braised, fried into chips, tossed into soups and pasta, and juiced.

Collard Greens have always been served in south. Slave cooks prepared it often for themselves and for the family who lived in the plantation house.
You can juice collards? I'll try that.

What do collard greens taste like? Are they mild or tangy? Do they take on the taste of what you cook them in? I've never had them!

Southern Style Collard Greens

2 large bunches collards, roughly chopped and stems discarded
3 slices hickory smoked bacon
1 yellow onion, minced
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
black pepper to taste

Fry the bacon in a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat until just done but not quite crispy yet. Add the onions and collards and sauté in the hot grease unit wilt.

Pour the water in the pot. It should just cover the greens. Add the brown sugar, minced garlic, and apple cider vinegar,

Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

Season with additional salt and pepper and serve.

A quick way to prepare collards.

To help collards cook more quickly, evenly slice the stems into 1/4 inch pieces. Steam 1 pound for 5 minutes. While steaming, mix 1 clove crushed garlic, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. When collards are done, toss with vinaigrette and top with a handful of toasted pumpkin seeds. Serves 4.

A quick way to prepare collards.

To help collards cook more quickly, evenly slice the stems into 1/4 inch pieces. Steam 1 pound for 5 minutes. While steaming, mix 1 clove crushed garlic, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. When collards are done, toss with vinaigrette and top with a handful of toasted pumpkin seeds. Serves 4.

Wow Donna, you work wonders with our humble Southern fare.

I had to google for images of collard greens, now I know what you mean. It's "Mangold" in German.

1 yellow onion, minced
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste

Fry the bacon in a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat until just done but not quite crispy yet. Add the onions and collards and sauté in the hot grease unit wilt.

Pour the water in the pot. It should just cover the greens. Add the brown sugar, minced garlic, and apple cider vinegar,

You can vary this recipe by adding a creamy sauce to the collards instead. Prepare as written above but when onions and collards have wilted, simply mix with some Creme Fraiche, sour cream or creamcheese (or all three, depends what you got in your fridge) until it melts. Add garlic, salt and white pepper to taste. You can serve it over rice. Quick and healthy and most important: delicious!

1 yellow onion, minced
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste

This sounds good! Of course, the bacon helps! :smile:

Back