Heading to Chattanooga

We'll be there sometime in mid-May. :dance:

We're actually doing homework on the area to see if it's a good match for a future move. We fell in love with Tennessee and Alabama several years ago and earmarked both as possible new home states once our younger one was out of high school. Now that she's in her Junior year ~ and Tom still refuses to move to England, Wales, or Scotland (boo!) ~ it's time to do some serious investigation.

Of course there's no way I'm missing out on some CW sites. Lookout Mountain is on the list, and I'll be researching the whole area over the next couple of weeks. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.
Did you see @Podad 's post about the Civil War dinner theater near Chattanooga?

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/buttonwillow-civil-war-dinner-theater-near-chattanooga.133941/

I did! And I saw a sign for this in the distance when we were there. But this trip was not CW-centered ~ it was more real estate focused. Plus my husband is pretty cool about visiting some CW sites ~ took me to Gettysburg in the heat of August and didn't say a peep about me spending the whole day out there ~ but he definitely has a limit.

You guys would understand the sinking feeling I got when we drove right past Munfordville, the Carnton Plantation, the Cravens House, etc. I can only request, and if he's not in the mood or wants to get from Point A to Point B in a certain amount of time, my CW-related sites aren't going to happen.

However I can plan for something like this dinner theater another time. :smile: This trip did include Point Park. He was up for Chickamauga too, but it rained. :rolleyes:

Some Rock City photos to further encourage you to visit.

Pretty sure this is a faerie house. I didn't see any fae, but that doesn't mean they weren't there. :wink:

Fae.jpg

Stonewalls of a different kind. Har har.

Shire.jpg

I did! And I saw a sign for this in the distance when we were there. But this trip was not CW-centered ~ it was more real estate focused. Plus my husband is pretty cool about visiting some CW sites ~ took me to Gettysburg in the heat of August and didn't say a peep about me spending the whole day out there ~ but he definitely has a limit.

You guys would understand the sinking feeling I got when we drove right past Munfordville, the Carnton Plantation, the Cravens House, etc. I can only request, and if he's not in the mood or wants to get from Point A to Point B in a certain amount of time, my CW-related sites aren't going to happen.

However I can plan for something like this dinner theater another time. :smile: This trip did include Point Park. He was up for Chickamauga too, but it rained. :rolleyes:
Next time go to Chickamauga anyway,even if it's raining. The Visitor Center there is quite a museum in and of itself and you can see a lot just driving through the park.

The air is so clean, and you are surrounded by trees, flowers, and gently flowing water. Take your non drowsy allergy medicine ~ it's worth it!

Lace.jpg

The drives up and down the mountain are not for the faint of heart. Here's a shot on a super foggy, rainy morning as we made our way back up to the nest. I'm of the opinion that the fog makes it easier visually ~ you can't see how high you are. :tongue:

DriveUp.jpg

Last edited:
DSC09552.JPG

I could live for days off those cookies.

We would have made more use of the fire pit area if it had rained less.

DSC09573.JPG

Eleanor Rose liked the front swing better, but this one is more photogenic:

DSC09544.JPG

Just to the left of the Point Park entrance, we found this old house. Don't know it's history, but it looks great in the daytime, and even better at night. I've always loved those round corner porch shelters.

DSC09577.JPG

I grew up in Wilkes County. Lived in Winston Salem and Greensboro, before moving to Chattanooga. Don’t think you will find a cultural shock. Football is the preferred College Sport. One major difference from NC. It is a growing area.

I grew up in Wilkes County. Lived in Winston Salem and Greensboro, before moving to Chattanooga. Don’t think you will find a cultural shock. Football is the preferred College Sport. One major difference from NC. It is a growing area.
I used to go through Wilke County on the way to Appalachian -- pretty country.

Is there a list anywhere of Confederate Officers buried in Chattanooga?

John T Wilder is buried in Forest Hills Cemetery. Right at the foot of Lookout Mountain in St Elmo. He became Mayor. Had extensive investment in the area. TN and Chattanooga actively recruited Northern settlement post War. So, there were more that just a few, who returned. I don’t know if any more Federal Generals were burried here.

Miss read your post. I don’t know if any Confederate Generals burried here. Can’t think of one who was from here.

Back