Heading South (and West)

samuel orris

Sergeant
Will be leaving for our trip to Texas soon. On the way we'll stop at Murfreesboro, TN and visit the battlefield there. The highlight of the trip will be coming home from San Antonio (actually Converse) when we stop to tour the battlefield at Mansfield, LA where my ancestor, Samuel Orris Shoemaker, was captured and taken to Camp Ford, Tyler, TX. He was inexplicably shot by a Confederate guard there while leading a chapel service.
I discovered his remains are buried at Arlington National Cemetery in Pineville, LA where we will stop and hopefully see his grave marker. I found out which site is his and I just pray that he is buried alone and not in a mass grave which I understand is how many Union soldiers are interred there. I want to photograph a marker with his name on it, not one that says, "UNKNOWN." Know what I mean?
Photos will be forthcoming.

I have faith your prayers will be answered. :thumbsup:

Enjoy your trip and please do bring us back pictures!

Will be leaving for our trip to Texas soon. On the way we'll stop at Murfreesboro, TN and visit the battlefield there. The highlight of the trip will be coming home from San Antonio (actually Converse) when we stop to tour the battlefield at Mansfield, LA where my ancestor, Samuel Orris Shoemaker, was captured and taken to Camp Ford, Tyler, TX. He was inexplicably shot by a Confederate guard there while leading a chapel service.
I discovered his remains are buried at Arlington National Cemetery in Pineville, LA where we will stop and hopefully see his grave marker. I found out which site is his and I just pray that he is buried alone and not in a mass grave which I understand is how many Union soldiers are interred there. I want to photograph a marker with his name on it, not one that says, "UNKNOWN." Know what I mean?
Photos will be forthcoming.

Sounds like it should be an excellent trip! Good luck with your quest for your ancestor!

If you've never been before and since you'll be in the area, visit the Vicksburg National Military Park.
If you have an extra two hours, I think you'll consider it time well spent. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the suggestion. Actually we'll cross the Mississippi right at Vicksburg, but sad to say our schedule will be pretty tight to make it from West Monroe, LA (also visiting the Duck Cammandos) to White Pine, TN.

Thanks, Drew. Deeply appreciated.

Samuel Orris Shoemaker of Company H, 130 Illinois Infantry, died July 11, 1864 and is buried in a marked grave at Alexandria National Cemetery in Louisiana. As a descendant of Confederate Veterans, I am sorry he was shot for no reason. That stinks.

S.O. Shoemaker.jpg

We still want pictures of your trip. Take time to get off the Interstate Highways and sit a spell. Folks will appreciate you and you them.

Samuel Orris Shoemaker of Company H, 130 Illinois Infantry, died July 11, 1864 and is buried in a marked grave at Alexandria National Cemetery in Louisiana. As a descendant of Confederate Veterans, I am sorry he was shot for no reason. That stinks.

View attachment 42797

We still want pictures of your trip. Take time to get off the Interstate Highways and sit a spell. Folks will appreciate you and you them.
Where did you get that photo??? Were you there? Now I'm really excited. Thanks for sharing.

View attachment 42797

Great find Drew. :thumbsup:

Where did you get that photo??? Were you there? Now I'm really excited. Thanks for sharing.

No matter - enjoy your trip and bring us back photographs. Fresh flowers for S.O. Shoemakers' grave will be welcome. Cheers.

Drew, I harbor no ill feelings towards anyone in the Confederacy. No need for an apology. I find your previous reply a bit curious. I am still interested if you shot the photo or if you found it online somewhere. I thought I looked in all of the right places, but nothing ever came up. Again, thank you for providing that.

Oops! I just read my original post and I mistakingly said Arlington instead of Alexandria Cemetery, just like Drew said.
Sorry 'bout that. Either way I know it's in Pineville, LA.

Back