He Caused Our Civil War... Manifest Destiny

There is a man forgotten by history in his relationship to our Civil War. He is the one who plowed the land for forces of Slavery/Abolition to fester and blow up into or Civil War. He did it out of his belief in our nation's Manifest Destiny to spread across the continent and his desire to spread slavery west. He was James Polk our 11th President of our great nation. With Texas and his conquest of Mexico and achieving a border in the Northwest with Britain, he created the final ingredient, Land. Land with Slavery and Abolitionist was the brew that gave us our Civil War which tore our nation apart which cost our nation so much in blood and treasure...

James Polk has never been called the man that cause the Civil War but he was. President Polk was the second greatest president since Washington and before Lincoln and should be at least the 5th or 6th greatest President of all time but historians have problem with him owning slaves and protecting and promoting slavery. It cost him at least 5 ranking places each time a list of presidents is made...

James Polk was incredible for he told everyone what he was going to do and he did it all within his 4 year term. President Harry S. Truman summarized this view by saying that Polk was "a great president. Said what he intended to do and did it." His overall record of achievement it impressive and unrecognized...

James Polk gave our nation most of its modern day borders and in achieving this goal he unwittingly cause our Civil War. His desire for our nation achieve its Manifest Destiny...

American Civil War Formula...
Land+Slavery+Abolitionist= Civil War...

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Potomac Pride

First Sergeant
There is a man forgotten by history in his relationship to our Civil War. He is the one who plowed the land for forces of Slavery/Abolition to fester and blow up into or Civil War. He did it out of his belief in our nation's Manifest Destiny to spread across the continent and his desire to spread slavery west. He was James Polk our 11th President of our great nation. With Texas and his conquest of Mexico and achieving a border in the Northwest with Britain, he created the final ingredient, Land. Land with Slavery and Abolitionist was the brew that gave us our Civil War which tore our nation apart which cost our nation so much in blood and treasure...

James Polk has never been called the man that cause the Civil War but he was. President Polk was the second greatest president since Washington and before Lincoln and should be at least the 5th or 6th greatest President of all time but historians have problem with him owning slaves and protecting and promoting slavery. It cost him at least 5 ranking places each time a list of presidents is made...

James Polk was incredible for he told everyone what he was going to do and he did it all within his 4 year term. President Harry S. Truman summarized this view by saying that Polk was "a great president. Said what he intended to do and did it." His overall record of achievement it impressive and unrecognized...

James Polk gave our nation most of its modern day borders and in achieving this goal he unwittingly cause our Civil War. His desire for our nation achieve its Manifest Destiny...

American Civil War Formula...
Land+Slavery+Abolitionist= Civil War...
Well, you have to blame the Civil War on somebody. It might as well be him instead of some other politician.

Well, you have to blame the Civil War on somebody. It might as well be him instead of some other politician.
What was the argument after Polk left office? How was a new land going to be divided up? Which new states were up to be a slave state or free state? This period lasted for a decade and ended in our civil war... It was the abolitionist of the North that were uncompromising about the new lands hiding behind God's will.

So know Polk and manifest destiny are to blame for the civil war?
Yes, Polk brought Manifest Destiny forth and unwittingly brought the catalyst for our civil war as well, Land Greed...

I think it was James Madison
Sorry, you are getting the 4th and 11th presidents mixed up. Polk the 11th president acquired these new lands and the Northern abolitionist refused to compromise and the Northern politicians would say..." Slavery will not be allow to expand into new lands but we will leave it be were it already resides." You know it was Lincoln's stand on slavery... The Southern politicians believed if slavery did not expand it would die out and Southern wealth and culture with it...

Surprised it wasn't Grant.
If I could blame Grant I would. Polk brought Land Greed into the fiery mix between Slavers and Abolitionist with one sided trying to stop/end slavery by keeping it bottled up in the south and another group group seeing the New Lands as hope and the survival of their wealth and culture. I argue if Polk had not been so successful at expanding America then the two sides Slavers and Abolitionist would not had fuel(land) to fight over, no civil war...

The Pilgrims should have stayed in Europe. It's their fault. :cannon:
There is a lot of truth in your statement but they chose to sail west...

Now you all are getting it!! I'm so very very proud!!!!!!:dance:
No, no one is getting it.. it may have been over slavery but it was western lands that fuel the south's hope of better times... No Hope no war...

Whew! I can put down my sabre for a minute and let 'ol Polk take some heat!
I will sneak Grant in somewhere...

You never like to question historians take on history...but I am glad you live in my home state of Florida, now... Ocala is technically Central Florida at its the Northern edge...

I'm just shocked it was a southerner.
Polk was a great president...
Southern true...

Last edited:
Was Polk around during the Constitutional Convention, when the divided delegates, after much "discussion," compromised on the slavery question (the 3/5th rule)? No, he hadn't been born yet! He was just a child at the time of the Louisiana Purchase (definitly the start of "manifest destiny"). At the time of the Missouri Compromise of 1820, he had just been chosen as a clerk to the Tennessee State Senate, so I very much he had anything to do with that significant event, which Thomas Jefferson called "A fire bell in the night." And the roots of the ACW go a lot farther back!

With his expansionist policies, Polk certainly contributed, but was only one of many contributors. Interesting that he decided to go to war over Mexico but not over Oregon! That's with reportedly a lot more people hollering "54-40 or Fight" than wanted Texas. Of course his predecessor (Tyler) was the one who pushed through the annexation or Texas, which pretty much forced Polk's hand. And, of course, Mexico was an easier foe than Great Britain.

chellers

Lt. Colonel
Retired Moderator
Honored Fallen Comrade
You never like to question historians take on history...but I am glad you live in my home state of Florida, now... Ocala is technically Central Florida at its the Northern edge...
I am fairly certain @unionblue knows where he is living. So this has what to do with the OP?

as member

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)