NF HBO has finally greenlit that Deadwood movie

Non-Fiction

Belle Montgomery

2nd Lieutenant
It’s happening, folks!

The Deadwood movie is expected to start production this fall.

HBO’s President of programming, Casey Bloys announced the news at the Television Critics Association’s press tour in Beverly Hills on Wednesday. Many fans are sure to be pleased, as many believe that the follow-up and conclusion of the 2004 Western series was cancelled before its time.

Bloys finally confirmed the green light of the movie to the public when he said, “All of these people worked hard to get this together. It’s been a logistics nightmare getting all the cast members’ schedules together, but we are there. It is greenlit.”

The cast which was hard to come around will be led by Timothy Olyphant and Ian McShane.

He also said that the film will be released in the spring of 2019, although that could change with time. When Bloys was questioned about the movie last year, he praised the script which was written by the series creator David Milch.

“I wanted a script that would stand on its own … I’m happy to say that David totally delivered on that. It’s a terrific script,” Bloys said at the time. (Variety.com)

“We’ve been asked the Deadwood question for 11 consecutive years,” joked HBO corporate communications Chief Quentin Schaffer.
SOURCE:https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/25/17614382/hbo-deadwood-movie-greenlight
Another Source: https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/deadwood-movie-hbo-1202883965/
9c1fb9edaf94b4e573405cd6b79f38d7.0.jpg

Perhaps because I'm a hooplehead, I have so many mixed feelings about this. Love Deadwood--one of my favorite thing I've ever watched in any medium. Have a lot of faith in the talent of everyone involved in the show, but most revivals I have watched that are this far removed from the original have been poor quality. Am curious how they will handle how the actors have aged and the fates of those who have passed. RIP Powers Boothe and Ralph Richeson.

Nonetheless, I'll actually sign up for HBO streaming to watch this live rather than waiting for the DVD. :smile:

Back