NF HBO continues to develop controversial show ‘Confederate’ despite fiery backlash

Non-Fiction

Belle Montgomery

2nd Lieutenant
At the Television Critics Assoc.’s summer press tour on Wednesday, HBO president Casey Bloys told TVLine that the controversial drama project from Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss remains in development — despite the duo’s recently-inked deal with Disney and Lucasfilm to create a new Star Wars trilogy.

“There’s no change,” Bloys maintained. “They haven’t written anything. [David and D.B] still have to finish digital effects work on [Game of Thrones‘ final season]… and they obviously now have the Star Wars movie. But at a certain point they’ll tell us when they are ready.”
MORE: https://hotair.com/archives/2018/07/26/hbo-still-developing-confederate-show-modern-day-slavery/

Last edited:
Not going to comment more because were getting into politics , A programme about history with facts and sources is a good thing a totally made up piece of rubbish just so some people can bang their drums is not.

EDITED BY MATT MCKEON

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, here's the thing. The Confederate States of America are a part of American history. Some people are happy about that; some are not. I believe in realism: i.e., that it's a part of our heritage (and, frankly, as a veteran, I'd say it's a significant part of our military heritage too-- at least on the Army side). Those of us (like me) who strongly dislike the fact of slavery will always have a bad taste in our mouths about that element of the conflict; but that it happened and that it's a part of us that will always be with us, so long as our country endures, is inevitable. And, to wax romantic for a bit, we have, culturally, a soft spot for the rebel and the underdog, since it's where our country came from.

So while I can never condone the fact of slavery nor the fact that it led to secession, I will admit to a soft spot in my heart for our fellow-countrymen and -women who were willing to fight so well for what they thought was right-- even if I think they were mistaken. (Does that sum up the conflicted feelings well?)

If the series is well-thought-out and worth-watching, I'll watch it. If not... well, bad TV is nothing new.

Really? Why not adapt Harry Turtledove's Southern Victory series it would serve as a less controversial replacement for Confederate and since there is plenty of source material to adapt I mean we're talking 11 novels divided into three series (Great War, American Empire, and Settling Accounts) which are: How Few Remain, American Front, Walk in Hell, Breakthroughs, Blood and Iron, The Center Cannot Hold, The Victorious Opposition, Return Engagement, Drive to the East, The Grapple, and In at the Death have HBO make those novels into a series instead and if done by the right people like Alan Ball (creator of True Blood, another Southern-set show) it could make for well thought out and worth watching entertainment as Mark F. Jenkins noted.

Mph. Is that predicated on the South receiving AK-47s, as in Turtledove's original short story, leading to "Guns of the South"? If so, I can't sign on for that.
I am talking about an HBO Southern Victory series it's about a world in which the Confederacy wins the Civil War (War of Secession here) with Special Order 191 not lost and therefore Robert E. Lee successfully defeats George B. McClellan in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania with the Army of Northern Virginia destroying the Army of the Potomac thus leading to Britain and France recognizing the Confederates and everything else plays out what had been started in 1862 (Second Mexican War, First Great War, Interwar, Second Great War/Black Population Reduction).

Okeydokey. I tuned Turtledove out after the book cover showing Lee holding a Kalashnikov... same as Harry Harrison's "Stars and Stripes" series which started out wrongly fantastical (and that after the first of the series contained a harangue by the author about how important it was to do "realistic" alt-history) and got way more so.

Okeydokey. I tuned Turtledove out after the book cover showing Lee holding a Kalashnikov... same as Harry Harrison's "Stars and Stripes" series which started out wrongly fantastical (and that after the first of the series contained a harangue by the author about how important it was to do "realistic" alt-history) and got way more so.
Southern Victory is entirely separate unlike Stars and Stripes and Guns of the South, Southern Victory takes a somewhat realistic approach to a Confederate victory by having a dispatch not get lost and the Army of Northern Virginia crush the Army of the Potomac without time travel or Harrison's way. Have you ever read the Southern Victory novels yet or if you have what would you think of it?

I have not read them, so I can't venture an opinion.

(I have to admit a bias in favor of real history vs. alt-history, having found nonfiction to be more mind-boggling than fiction, but I understand the attraction of "what-if"s.) (For that matter, I prefer the history of the Wars of the Roses to Game of Thrones, but that's where my wife, a dedicated GoT fan, and I part ways.)

Well, here's the thing. The Confederate States of America are a part of American history. Some people are happy about that; some are not. I believe in realism: i.e., that it's a part of our heritage (and, frankly, as a veteran, I'd say it's a significant part of our military heritage too-- at least on the Army side). Those of us (like me) who strongly dislike the fact of slavery will always have a bad taste in our mouths about that element of the conflict; but that it happened and that it's a part of us that will always be with us, so long as our country endures, is inevitable. And, to wax romantic for a bit, we have, culturally, a soft spot for the rebel and the underdog, since it's where our country came from.

So while I can never condone the fact of slavery nor the fact that it led to secession, I will admit to a soft spot in my heart for our fellow-countrymen and -women who were willing to fight so well for what they thought was right-- even if I think they were mistaken. (Does that sum up the conflicted feelings well?)

Yes...no...maybe. :D

Not going to comment more because were getting into politics , A programme about history with facts and sources is a good thing a totally made up piece of rubbish just so some people can bang their drums is not.

EDITED BY MATT MCKEON

It is just fiction. Make belief. Lots of fiction fans out there. Matter of fact fictional subjects sell non-fiction (including History) by a huge margin.

Movie makers make movies about what the majority of people want to watch and pay to watch.

Simple. Nobody is forcing anyone to subscribe to HBO and/or to watch it when it comes out. Whole bunch of people with whole bunch of different tastes in recreation/entertainment.

This is what this is supposed to be. Not an academic treatise...

Haven't heard anything about it until now to be honest the show sounds pretty dumb
In the current climate without getting into politics I can already picture how they will produce the show and the portrayal of the folks below the Mason dixon line 2 thumbs down for me thanks for sharing though belle Montgomery I'm sure this thread will get interesting

I have not read them, so I can't venture an opinion.

(I have to admit a bias in favor of real history vs. alt-history, having found nonfiction to be more mind-boggling than fiction, but I understand the attraction of "what-if"s.) (For that matter, I prefer the history of the Wars of the Roses to Game of Thrones, but that's where my wife, a dedicated GoT fan, and I part ways.)
The thing is about alternate history is that the What-ifs allow you to use your imagination and shed light on some lesser known facts with some well done research which members at Alternate History Discussion have done with their own timelines. Harry Turtledove's may have a bit of parallelism when it comes to late 19th and 20th century history but they utilize imagination to create an alternate world he knows how to create worlds and while his stories aren't a 100% perfect the world's he is creating for the stories to breathe show an amount of effort and work put into it. I recommend reading the Southern Victory series (starting with How Few Remain) to know why and why HBO should adapt as a TV series.

Unlike some of the other CWTers, I along with members such as CC (Canadian Canuck) and steve59p know the subject of alternate history and Civil War alternate history (CWAH) is one of many stories to be told on paper, computer, game, or big or small screen.

And, to wax romantic for a bit, we have, culturally, a soft spot for the rebel and the underdog, since it's where our country came from.
Perhaps slavery was an evil that could be exorcised from this country only by the shedding of blood. If cooler heads had prevailed, perhaps that would not have been the case. Regardless, the Confederate soldier was an American soldier, and should be honored as such. I think Bruce Catton said it best...
"There is no other legend quite like the legend of the Confederate fighting man. He reached the end of his haunted road long ago. He fought for a star-crossed cause and in the end he was beaten, but as he carried his slashed red battle flag into the dusky twilight of the Lost Cause he marched straight into a legend that will live as long as the American people care to remember anything about the American past."

At the Television Critics Assoc.’s summer press tour on Wednesday, HBO president Casey Bloys told TVLine that the controversial drama project from Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss remains in development — despite the duo’s recently-inked deal with Disney and Lucasfilm to create a new Star Wars trilogy.

“There’s no change,” Bloys maintained. “They haven’t written anything. [David and D.B] still have to finish digital effects work on [Game of Thrones‘ final season]… and they obviously now have the Star Wars movie. But at a certain point they’ll tell us when they are ready.”
MORE: https://hotair.com/archives/2018/07/26/hbo-still-developing-confederate-show-modern-day-slavery/
Thanks for the update!
I had not heard anything about the series for awhile and was thinking it was dead in the water.
I do so love GOT and hope they do well with the Star Trek franchise (the last movie was kind of ehh...)
I'll reserved judgment until there actually is a pilot episode! Might be awhile!

OOPS EDIT: I mean Star Wars franchise! That last movie was also still ehhh....

Last edited:
Back