Hazlett's Battery on Little Round Top Painting T&N

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
lrt combo1.jpg

Artist Dale Gallon describes this wonderful painting as, "The magnificent view from Little Round Top as it looked to the men of Hazlett's Battery fighting to hold it." Thanks to the continuous efforts of the NPS, we see it today nearly the same as it appeared in 1863. Here is Gallon's print along with a similar panorama I took that makes the point. Great work, NPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another great T&N Greg. I am guessing that position is on the front slope of the hill and not the crest where the cannon are placed today?
Yes, @Dom71 , I would say that is correct. There are varying opinions as to where the guns were on July 2, but most agree they were not where they are represented today. Thanks for the comment.

View attachment 160306

Artist Dale Gallon describes this wonderful painting as, "The magnificent view from Little Round Top as it looked to the men of Hazlett's Battery fighting to hold it." Thanks to the continuous efforts of the NPS, we see it today nearly the same as it appeared in 1863. Here is Gallon's print along with a similar panorama I took that makes the point. Great work, NPS.
Thanks for posting these great views! The current view looks remarkably close to the painting
Can you tell us more about the painting? What was the 'model' for Mr. Gallon's work? A roughly contemporary or early post-war photograph, or did he rely on the current view?

View attachment 160306

Love this painting! Thanks for posting. Which merchant has the most reasonable prices on these paintings? Anybody?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting these great views! The current view looks remarkably close to the painting
Can you tell us more about the painting? What was the 'model' for Mr. Gallon's work? A roughly contemporary or early post-war photograph, or did he rely on the current view?
Thanks for the comment, @WJC, he may have also relied on the Brady panorama taken in July 1863. Brady's great photograph shows the view was much the same as seen today. here is a then and now I made a while back using Brady's image.
lrt combo2.jpg

Thanks for the comment, @WJC, he may have also relied on the Brady panorama taken in July 1863. Brady's great photograph shows the view was much the same as seen today. here is a then and now I made a while back using Brady's image.
View attachment 160477
Thanks for your response.
Whatever Mr. Gallon used, he has captured the scene admirably.
Again, thanks for posting these great, thought provoking comparison works. They are always a pleasure to consider.

Another great thread @Gettysburg Greg! I always enjoy the images and pictures you post. Some of the pics are so spot on with the past, it is amazing to see them. Always enjoyable to see the pics and I enjoyed the painting very much. It looks in the today picture that they need to cut a few more trees. It is still fantastic to see the today images.

Another great thread @Gettysburg Greg! I always enjoy the images and pictures you post. Some of the pics are so spot on with the past, it is amazing to see them. Always enjoyable to see the pics and I enjoyed the painting very much. It looks in the today picture that they need to cut a few more trees. It is still fantastic to see the today images.

I agree about Greg's great posts and also agree about the trees. I always wondered why they don't clear that clump of trees at the bottom of the valley.

Weed received his promotion from captain to brigadier general on June 6th. It's possible that he never did get a field officer's coat but I've never really looked into it.

Ryan
It does not appear, from movements of the V Corps that Weed would have had time to order a coat, let alone be fitted, from June 6 to July 2nd. He was not confirmed by the Senate either, for what that's worth, most likely didn't come up prior to his death. He would most likely be wearing his captains frock or field officer's sack coat.

It does not appear, from movements of the V Corps that Weed would have had time to order a coat, let alone be fitted, from June 6 to July 2nd. He was not confirmed by the Senate either, for what that's worth, most likely didn't come up prior to his death. He would most likely be wearing his captains frock or field officer's sack coat.

That's my guess as well but, as I said, I've never looked into the issue.

Of course, George Custer found time to get a uniform made so there is that. :thumbsup:

Ryan

Back