Hauntings of Fredericksburg

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021

This is a very interesting Youtube Video about Hauntings of Fredericksburg. The first 8 minutes are a promotion and information for Central Virginia's Battlefield Trust and how they saved 900+ acres of the Wilderness. The video was done in 2013. Then the historical group goes into the hauntings. I got interested in this video because it didn't have a particular axe to grind and it seemed valid and interesting to me. Enjoy.

This is so cool! I am going to show this to my sisters.

One of my sisters used to live very close to Fredericksburg several years ago. About two months after she sold her house and moved back to PA, one of my other sisters moved to Fredericksburg. (Both of them moved to the area for job opportunities.) One time, I visited close to Halloween. A student organization at the University of Mary Washington sold tickets that weekend to a walking ghost tour run by the students. We got tickets for the tour. The tour guide wore period costume and took us to a whole bunch of different locations in Fredericksburg. At each stop, other students dressed up in period costume acted out scenes, as if they were ghosts recreating horrors from the war. I am under the impression that this was a fundraiser.

The video briefly mentioned Kenmore Plantation. Here is a photo that I took of Kenmore.
2011-11-05-Fredericksburg-0014.jpg

-

We took our University of Mary Washington ghost tour on a Friday night. The next day, Saturday, we came back into town to watch a zombie walk that collected canned goods for a food pantry. However, the University of Mary Washington was holding ghost tours that day as well. So, I was able to get a photo of a ghost tour actress standing behind some of the zombie walk volunteers.

2011-11-05-Fredericksburg-0024.jpg

Last edited:
What did people think of the video?

I liked it.

I wished that they would have elaborated more on the story of Kenmore Plantation and the ghost of Fielding Lewis, instead of saying something like, "Everybody knows the ghost story about Kenmore, but did you know about these other ghosts . . . "

The only thing that I remember from taking that ghost tour was that Fielding Lewis was George Washington's brother-in-law, and he got into major financial trouble by "lending" money to the Americans for the war effort. Then, I think that he lost Kenmore and he died broke. So I think that his ghost now haunts Kenmore because he is upset that the United States never paid him back? I don't remember.

I understand if the video downplayed the Kenmore thing because they wanted to concentrated on Civil War stories.

I wish that they would have included more stories.

It was funny when they had the one actor dress up as a very obvious ghost.

Back