Haunted Vicksburg

huskerblitz

Major
Came across this looking for other information...

For a little background, W. A. Lake and his wife, Mrs. Anne Lake, had property north of Vicksburg near where Chickasaw Bayou runs north into the Yazoo River. Here in 1862, Sherman disembarked his men for his first attempt to take Vicksburg and the result was the Battle of Chickasaw Bayou. It was this battle that claimed the life of one of my relatives where he was likely initially buried on her property.

Widow Lake Ghost 1.png
Widow Lake Ghost 2.png
Widow Lake Ghost 3.png

Does make me wonder who lived at the Chickasaw Bayou property if they lived in Vicksburg? Sherman used the Lake House as his headquarters for part of the battle.

I'm not sure. I had actually forgotten about the haunted Lakemont story.

During the War, I would think this house was outside the city limits. And after reading the article, I do remember it was originally much larger prior to the 1916 fire.

What a great history, thank you! Unabashed believer here- never thought much one way or the other about ghosts. School I went to in the UK was in one of their old country homes, haunted. Makes a believer out of you in a big hurry.

I see the site is called " Haunted antebellum houses ", plural? Are there more owners of historic homes sharing space with former owners?

What a great history, thank you! Unabashed believer here- never thought much one way or the other about ghosts. School I went to in the UK was in one of their old country homes, haunted. Makes a believer out of you in a big hurry.

I see the site is called " Haunted antebellum houses ", plural? Are there more owners of historic homes sharing space with former owners?
There are a couple of books about Haunted Vicksburg or Haunted Mississippi you can find on Google Books. There should be a few more houses listed.

It can't been seen very well in this photo, but the open section of the gate has a large dent where a Federal shell struck it during the Siege of Vicksburg. Also one thing I would like to mention, having worked at the Old Court House Museum in Vicksburg for 9 years - the chances of an antebellum home having a ghost increase greatly if said home is opened for tours.

When I was a Civil War reenactor I spent a good bit of time at McRaven House in Vicksburg, which is supposedly haunted. I can tell you from personal experience, the only thing that haunted me were the mosquitoes, which drank about a gallon of my blood, and the train which ran right past the house in the middle of the night and bounced me a good two inches off the ground.

Back