Haunted Relics...

Private Watkins

2nd Lieutenant
First of all let me say I'm not much of a ghost guy, but it seems to me that most purported Civil War related hauntings are tied to a place... like a battlefield or a cemetery or an old house that was used as a gruesome hospital, etc. But what about a particular relic such as a musket or rifle, a handgun, derringer, knife, sword, bullet, shell fragment, a tintype or CDV, or surgeons tools, or personal items like part of a uniform, a ring, jewelry, a pipe, or epaulettes... or maybe a book?

I can't say that I've had any particular first hand experiences with haunted relics, although I do have a signed CDV of a Union captain (to remain nameless) who was alleged to have committed several cruel acts to civilians, and died shortly after the war of alcholism... he kind of creeps me out and I will admit there's a voice in the back of my head that has been urging me to sell that particular CDV... (send me a PM if you're interested :devilish: !)

Anyway, LOL voices or not, does anyone else out there have any haunted relic experiences or thoughts...?

Last edited:
What is your definition of haunted? When I pick up something from my collection sometimes I feel it. Some things in my collection more than others. Is that me or is it the items original owner? I believe that sometimes they come back to check up on their stuff.

What is your definition of haunted? When I pick up something from my collection sometimes I feel it. Some things in my collection more than others. Is that me or is it the items original owner? I believe that sometimes they come back to check up on their stuff.
Good question... let's just say energy, often negative, but could be positive.

Let's just say, there are those who have dedicated their entire lives to studying this subject :whistling:
Yes, and there are those making a buck off of reality TV on the subject as well... so I realize this topic is on thin ice... but I'm still asking the question... what experiences has anyone had...?

Nah. The locket has no unusual energy attached to it. :nah disagree:

Have you read this blog post from GNMP about people returning rocks they picked up on the battlefield , claiming that they have had all kinds of bad things happen to them after lifting the rocks? https://npsgnmp.wordpress.com/2016/07/07/cursed-rocks/

I don't believe in the notion of things being haunted or possessed or of supernatural beings so, in short, no.

That said, I do think we can and do often have feelings of connection to the past in certain places or when handling certain objects. I've got a 98 year-old mandolin and every time I play it I think about all the previous owners and get a weird sort of feeling but I don't think it's haunted or blessed; just my energy manifesting itself.

I don't believe in the notion of things being haunted or possessed or of supernatural beings so, in short, no.

That said, I do think we can and do often have feelings of connection to the past in certain places or when handling certain objects. I've got a 98 year-old mandolin and every time I play it I think about all the previous owners and get a weird sort of feeling but I don't think it's haunted or blessed; just my energy manifesting itself.
The human mind is a complex and mysterious thing... depths yet to be fathomed...

Last edited:
Was thinking once again about this topic, as one thing I don't think I'd ever want to add to my Civil War collection is this:
lf (1).jpg
lf.jpg
lf (2).jpg

Sorry, all kind of silly I know, but just can't do it. Does anyone out there collect CW surgeon's kits...?

I've never had any problems with Civil War relics, but I've known people who have. I know lots of people who have trouble with WWII Militaria/relics, I did own one thing that creeped me out. I got a duffle bag of uniforms etc, from a WWII vet, and when I dumped it, out came a piano wire garrote. It was in great shape and had small wooden handles. I had no doubt it was used. Soldiers in I & R platoons sometimes carried them, most preferred knives. I got rid of it quick. I also had a real Kapo armband I found in an Ike jacket pocket. I have no doubt ACW could also be haunted, or carry bad energy. Sorry to bring in the other period items, but this has been my experience.

Back