Hat Horn emblem/Belt Buckle, and a Bel Help

obal7

Private
Along with some Buttons (Posted "Irish Brigade Button Help"), I found, what I believe is a Kepi/Hat Horn emblem (W/GCC?) and a cloth belt with an Eagle belt buckle. I am new to this area and would like some thoughts as to the era, If CW etc. and to help identify the pin and the Buckle. Any thoughts, opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

IMG_7566.jpg
IMG_7567.jpg
IMG_7568.jpg
IMG_7569.jpg
IMG_7570.jpg
IMG_7571.jpg

Along with some Buttons (Posted "Irish Brigade Button Help"), I found, what I believe is a Kepi/Hat Horn emblem (W/GCC?) and a cloth belt with an Eagle belt buckle. I am new to this area and would like some thoughts as to the era, If CW etc. and to help identify the pin and the Buckle. Any thoughts, opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

View attachment 176627 View attachment 176628 View attachment 176629 View attachment 176630 View attachment 176631 View attachment 176632
The plate appears to be a Militia Panel Plate dating 1850-1865 and thought to have been manufactured by Horstmann Company; they also manufactured a similar device post war, but the detail was not a fine.

I can't help you on the Infantry horn, but it looks period, though the soldering of letters and numerals onto brass was a relatively post war deal. Keep in mind that many vets were able to pick up surplus brass and do anything with it for reunions and GAR events. Not to mention that a post war militia group could do the same; the solid brass letters do not seem period, letters were generally struck and had a wire loop soldered to the hollow back.

The plate is indeed a 1840 - 50 militia plate as @Package4 stated. The horn is for a university corp of cadets hence the CC as far as the G take your pick of any university that starts with a G. Nice finds.

Thanks to all, and especially thanks to ucvrelics for bringing this to light!! I picked the belt, GCC horn, the Irish Buttons and the White Uniform at a deceased Vets house, whose Great Relatives, from portraits, looked like , at least one was in the Civil War. In your opinion, since the Militia Belt, Buckle and GCC Horn may be pre Civil War/Civil War/Post Civil War...
Do you think that the White Uniform, (See my posts on the White Uniform and the help on the Irish Buttons) could have been associated to the Belt, Buckle and Emblem?
This grouping was found around the Washington DC Area... so In my Guess, the most likely University that was in operation at that time (with a "G") could be Georgetown University... Thanks again..
Your Thoughts.

Thanks to all, and especially thanks to ucvrelics for bringing this to light!! I picked the belt, GCC horn, the Irish Buttons and the White Uniform at a deceased Vets house, whose Great Relatives, from portraits, looked like , at least one was in the Civil War. In your opinion, since the Militia Belt, Buckle and GCC Horn may be pre Civil War/Civil War/Post Civil War...
Do you think that the White Uniform, (See my posts on the White Uniform and the help on the Irish Buttons) could have been associated to the Belt, Buckle and Emblem?
This grouping was found around the Washington DC Area... so In my Guess, the most likely University that was in operation at that time (with a "G") could be Georgetown University... Thanks again..
Your Thoughts.
The belt and buckle are militia and pre Civil War; the horn was manufactured up until 1875 and appears as if the letters were soldered on most likely post that time. Keep in mind that many universities of the time had a cadet component, in fact Georgetown does have, since 1791, a Corp of Cadets, so it could very well reference the Georgetown Corps of Cadets, now called the Hoya Battalion. There were plenty of Irish around the DC area, in fact my ancestor was an Irish stone mason who did quite a bit of work in and around Georgetown U. He purportedly built the stairs that were so famous in the Exorcist..... the buttons could be anything fraternal Irish.

Your Thoughts.
Do you live in the DC area, any relation to Dave Obal?

Back