Discussion Has the flap over the CS Battle flag and statues affected the value of antique CS weapons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrobalabama

First Sergeant
I have two CSA ID weapons. How is their value holding due to the contemporary outcry against anything of another time in American history?
A leading antique gun dealer told me that prices are devalued over a few years back. Has "political correctness" devalued rare antique weapons used by the CS ? Usually, rarity and condition are prime factors combining with supply and demand. I have not seen CS used weapons for sale lately in these "mixed up days." What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

I don't think right now initially.

Comparing them to CS images, which are a very hot item right now, especially fresh to market ones- I think the value will drop years from now, but not significantly (although that varies as to what we think of as significant).

It's all about demand as you know. If new collectors aren't being introduced, looking at some collectors with hundreds of CS arms- how many more do they want?

There's some deep collections that will hit the market at some time (and some won't), which asks how many people can (and want to) drop several thousand, or tens of thousands, to purchase these items. I think of the Flayderman pipe collection of roughly 120 period carved pipes. They had to break them up into lots of 15-20 over a couple years to keep them from bottoming out the market.

Since the best indicators are often what pieces are bringing at shows, as many of the biggest shows have been cancelled; it really has been hard to tell. One good thing about collecting cannonballs is that they can always be sold as scrap (as my wife often threatens to do).

The only thing I do know is that the rule of supply/demand applies even to Confederate artifacts from the civil war. We are hearing a lot about the shunning of all things Southern it seems nowadays, but it just seems to me that it's having an opposite effect on the Confederate items - It seems to be increasing their value and demand. These are still rare historic American artifacts and there are LOTS of people out there that collect them and want them. Just my observation and thoughts.

The value of CSA weapons remains firm, but...Authenticity, Condition, Provenance, known {and verified} Usage and especially Rarity remain the key of the high priced items. These items are in great demand. Know what you're looking at as fakes abound !

A ratty condition super rare item will still command a high price and be quickly sold, but a beat up and broken 3 band Richmond rifle musket can be claimed as a dependent on your next tax return, before it sells.

Current issues aside, I have been of the mind that in the coming years a general reduction in interest of all items historical, antique, collector etc. will result in prices dropping on these items.
We all need to do our best to keep interest in history alive and the importance of preservation of American historical artifacts. Our passion is contagious and is our best selling point. I'm seeing LOTS of people becoming interested as of late because of all the attention that is on the news. It's so important that people need to understand that History is NOT about bigotry, hatred and judgement. History is about learning from past events. In a nut shell, that's what history is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back