Has anyone seen juvenile size lances?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I was looking over my data base of Michigan militia uniforms and this juvenile company made me wonder if juvenile companies would have carried full size lances. In Michigan before the Civil War "juvenile" companies could indicate youths 12 to 16 or 18 or youths 16 or 18 to 21. A 12 year-old probable would have difficulties handling a full size lance but a 16 year-old probably could use a full size lance. So has anyone seen a photo of a youthful lancer with a short lance or has anyone seen a juvenile lance?

The Washington Lancers (possibly Detroit, Wayne County) formed in 1856. They were a called a juvenile company, but the age of its members was not reported.i They do not appear to have been accepted into the Michigan Militia and the militia laws did not allow companies in the Michigan Uniformed militia to be of persons under eighteen years old. No information about this company has been found after 1856 and it must have either disbanded or been renamed. They appear to have worn uniforms; however, what they wore for uniforms was never given. Is it possible that they wore lancer uniforms? The few accounts about them in local newspapers do not indicate that they carried lances or verify that they were mounted. It is not known if they ever obtained any weapons.

i “Military Visitors”, Detroit Daily Free Press, July 30 1856, p. 1, col. 2 and Detroit Daily Free Press, August 8 1856., June 14 1859, p. 1, col 1.

Here is youthful home guard company with lances (maybe really pikes).

The Home Guard (St. Joseph, St. Joseph County) was formed in 1861 by young men in the town of St. Joseph. Captain Ed Aiken as elected as the commander. They selected red, white and blue uniforms which would display their patriotism: red shirts, white pants and blue caps.i For arms they carried lances tipped with small American flags. One report said their uniforms were neat and tasty. The patriotism of the young men soon waned and this company did not survive for very long.

i St. Joseph Traveler, July 3 1861, p. 3, col. 1.

Back