Has anyone hired a researcher?

JudyF63

Cadet
I posted in the newcomers forum about my 2nd great grandfather, Isaac Thomas Barry, and what I found about his service in the 9th Kentucky Mounted Infantry. In April 1864 Pvt. Tom Barry was transferred to the Navy under General Order No. 100. To find what this meant I need to look at a microfilm only available in the National Archives in Atlanta or DC, or in the Family History Library in Salt Lake City. The nearest option in more than 500 miles away from me. Addionally, I still don’t have any record of what happened to Tom between 1864 and the end of the war. I am debating whether hiring an expert might be worth it.
Anyone have experience with this?

I have hired a number of researchers. The type and level depended on what I was looking for but in only one case did I think it not worth every penny. The Archives actually publishes a list of people who do research at the Archives. Many have specialties, some are more advanced than others, yet some just do simple document searches or retrievals. I do remember seeing more than one researcher who specialized in naval records. My needs at the Archives were pretty simple so I was able to hire someone to just go and get what I wanted and it was very reasonable. If you hire a real researcher expect to pay $30-$50 dollars an hour plus any expenses. Anyway, go find the list (it's pretty long) and pick out a few who seem to fit your needs and send some emails (most have an email address listed).

I've never hired anybody to go to the library in Salt Lake but you might check their web site to see if they have a similar list of researchers; many libraries of record do.

T
I have hired a number of researchers. The type and level depended on what I was looking for but in only one case did I think it not worth every penny. The Archives actually publishes a list of people who do research at the Archives. Many have specialties, some are more advanced than others, yet some just do simple document searches or retrievals. I do remember seeing more than one researcher who specialized in naval records. My needs at the Archives were pretty simple so I was able to hire someone to just go and get what I wanted and it was very reasonable. If you hire a real researcher expect to pay $30-$50 dollars an hour plus any expenses. Anyway, go find the list (it's pretty long) and pick out a few who seem to fit your needs and send some emails (most have an email address listed).

I've never hired anybody to go to the library in Salt Lake but you might check their web site to see if they have a similar list of researchers; many libraries of record do.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Actually, when it comes to Salt Lake, if you have a Family History Center near home, you can order just about any records they have. Some time ago, I would search their record fiches for records you couldn't find on the internet. Granted, it takes time to sit down and search through the fiches just to find anything pertaining to what one is looking for, you make good choices and some bad choices, but the neat thing about requesting/ordering records (that are on fiches themselves) is that these fiches stay forever at the Family Research Center you ordered them through. Fifteen years later I can go up to the nearest (the one I use) and the fiches I ordered are still there. Of course there is a small fee for each fiche ordered and microfilm rolls are only sent for about three weeks then are sent back.

I would suggest anyone to visit their nearest Family History Center. You don't have to be a member of the Church to use the Center, guests are welcomed.

The only time I hired a researcher from the above mentioned list for the National Archives was a disaster. I provided all of the pertinent information including exactly where the information I was requesting was located at the Archives. This person provided plenty of information except what I needed for my research. This nonsense cost me over $100.00. This is why I do my own research and do not rely on others to help me. I suggest you take the time and travel to the Archives yourself. David.

I posted in the newcomers forum about my 2nd great grandfather, Isaac Thomas Barry, and what I found about his service in the 9th Kentucky Mounted Infantry. In April 1864 Pvt. Tom Barry was transferred to the Navy under General Order No. 100. To find what this meant I need to look at a microfilm only available in the National Archives in Atlanta or DC, or in the Family History Library in Salt Lake City. The nearest option in more than 500 miles away from me. Addionally, I still don’t have any record of what happened to Tom between 1864 and the end of the war. I am debating whether hiring an expert might be worth it.
Anyone have experience with this?

I have a fellow named John Emond, who lives in the DC suburbs of Maryland, who is doing some digging in the Manuscripts Division of the Library of Congress for me as I write this. He's literally working on our project today, which is why I say that. He's pulled many a file at NARA for me over the years. John is thorough and reasonably priced. I can recommend him unconditionally. If you want his contact information, please PM me, and I will give you his email address.

I have a fellow named John Emond, who lives in the DC suburbs of Maryland, who is doing some digging in the Manuscripts Division of the Library of Congress for me as I write this. He's literally working on our project today, which is why I say that. He's pulled many a file at NARA for me over the years. John is thorough and reasonably priced. I can recommend him unconditionally. If you want his contact information, please PM me, and I will give you his email address.
I am new so don’t know how to PM you. I would like to contact him.

Attachments

• T barry.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
You don't need a research as these order are online. I have attached his Fold3 records and according to one of the records the order was issued by the Army of Tennessee. Below is a link to all the orders so you will have to search thru it to find Gen Order 100/3 and 105 Army of Tennessee.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/mb?a=listis;c=358379885;pn=8;lmt=ft;sort=auth_a;sz=75
Thank you, I have these records from Fold3 already. I started to look for the General Order 100/3 and 105, but do I llook specifically for Army of Tennessee? There are almost 2800 documents listed in that collection. Any idea how to narrow it down?

Yes The order was issued by the AoT. If you look at the top of the site I believe there are instructions on searching the site and so other helpful tips.

Yes The order was issued by the AoT. If you look at the top of the site I believe there are instructions on searching the site and so other helpful tips.
I looked again at the last two typewritten pages of Tom Barry's records from Fold3 and noticed that the terminology was "Special Order" not "General Order". I searched the HathiTrust site using a variety of descriptors and still had no luck finding the reference cited. I also was told that there are no CMSRs for Civil War Navy veterans from either side of the conflict. Sure wish my ancestor had left a diary! Since all his experience was on riverboats rather than ocean-going vessels, I wonder if he had something to do with the blockade runners. If there was a record of his capture near Savannah, GA in 1864, where would I look?

You might try looking in the OR's for the AoT Special orders don't know for sure its there but its worth a look. On the CS Navy side Fold3 does have a LOT of CS Navy info so you could try there. Hope this helps.

I have now spent about 10 hours going through the huge collection and have not found what I am looking for, so frustrating!

It can be sometimes but you just have to keep looking. I will see what I can find for you when I get back to the house Sunday nigh.

Also, search Familysearch.org. It is a site affiliated with the Mormon Family History Library, and has a lot of info available on line. Click on the option "search" then click "records." You may have to create an account, but it is free. Type in the name of the person you are searching (there are options below the name to add additional details, like a range of years for birth, etc) It will bring up a list of possible matches that you can examine.

You can also click on "Search" then click "catalog" which gives you an index to all the records available at the main library in Salt Lake City. After you hit the button for catalog, you will see a screen that includes the following:

AVAILABILITY
any
family history center

If you click "any" you will obtain a list of microfilms/fiche and other resources that are available, including those that are only available if you go to Salt Lake City. If you click on the "online" button, you will get a list of resources that are available on your computer (without leaving home). If you click the "family history center" button, you can obtain a list of resources that can only be viewed at a family history center (located in a Mormon church). I suggest calling a Mormon church, asking the address of the local FHC (or FHC's). Be sure to ask hours of operation!

I
Also, search Familysearch.org. It is a site affiliated with the Mormon Family History Library, and has a lot of info available on line. Click on the option "search" then click "records." You may have to create an account, but it is free. Type in the name of the person you are searching (there are options below the name to add additional details, like a range of years for birth, etc) It will bring up a list of possible matches that you can examine.

You can also click on "Search" then click "catalog" which gives you an index to all the records available at the main library in Salt Lake City. After you hit the button for catalog, you will see a screen that includes the following:

AVAILABILITY
any
family history center

If you click "any" you will obtain a list of microfilms/fiche and other resources that are available, including those that are only available if you go to Salt Lake City. If you click on the "online" button, you will get a list of resources that are available on your computer (without leaving home). If you click the "family history center" button, you can obtain a list of resources that can only be viewed at a family history center (located in a Mormon church). I suggest calling a Mormon church, asking the address of the local FHC (or FHC's). Be sure to ask hours of operation!
I have used FamilySearch and the local FHC quite a bit. Now at a point of having to comb through a ton of unindexed material.

Back