HF Has anyone here watched this post-civil war based show "Hell on Wheels"?

Historical-Fiction
I just finished the show last night. I enjoyed it and it was a bit of entertainment on slow lockdown nights. The main character of Bohannon was well acted. I had issues with some of the plots but overall I enjoyed the show. I’d like to see more productions about the era.

I watched a few seasons some years back... but then lost interest. Although, that's common for me, as I don't watch much series TV. With that being said, I did enjoy the few seasons I watched. Maybe I should finish it...

My Husband and I watched it on Netflix. We liked it but felt there was some sloppy writing that took away from the overall story. So many of these types of shows seem to have an abundance of doom and gloom to go around. Feels like once you get attached to a character, then they kill them off only to bring in more characters to kill off.

My Husband and I watched it on Netflix. We liked it but felt there was some sloppy writing that took away from the overall story. So many of these types of shows seem to have an abundance of doom and gloom to go around. Feels like once you get attached to a character, then they kill them off only to bring in more characters to kill off.

I think a lot of shows are copying the game of thrones formula. They think by killing off any character any time it makes for drama. I wasn’t happy with how the show treated certain characters such as Lilly & Elam for example.

I enjoyed it although I stopped looking for inaccuracies a few minutes in. It's worth it just to watch Colm Meaney. I ended up reading a couple books on building the railroad as a result.

I enjoyed his performance but he is one of my favourite actors. I thought one of the strangest plot turns was in the final episode with Bohannon (I’ll try not spoil it) taking that job from Grant. In my opinion it was out of character for him , it was some sort of political message either in regards to the era or modern im not fully sure which.

He is a cultural icon here for a trio of films in the 90’s. They were based on books by a famous author Roddy Doyle about working class areas of Dublin. The most internationally famous of the three was The Commitments. It was Meaneys finest hour he was hilarious in them. They are worth a look but although they are in English the local slang and accents are pretty thick , so subtitles would be advised.

I enjoyed it although I stopped looking for inaccuracies a few minutes in. It's worth it just to watch Colm Meaney. I ended up reading a couple books on building the railroad as a result.

Colm Meany's Durant was awesome! He was an evil jerk, but he was endearing. It was kind of surprising to see him in such a role after growing up watching him in Star Trek. Just goes to show how versatile an actor he is.

Sometimes they are indeed surprising. The only time I remember seing Anson Mount before was playing the love interest to Britney Spears and suddenly here he was a decade later as Bohannon.

Loved it. I thought Cullen was such a great character - a cowboy gunslinger, yes, but one who used his brains before he pulled his guns. That's what kept me interested even through some slumps. A few Civil War references but not a ton.

I thought it was entertaining, I never did get to see all of it I only got to several seasons. For some reason it was broadcast on Sunday nights. Some of us had to go to work the next morning. They did the same to Mercy Street.I remember Ted Levine as a character called Daniel Johnson and I still think Anson Mount would have made a great General Forrest if a decent movie about him would have ever been made.

Started off strong enough to ignore the inconsistencies, but I lost interest when the plot wandered off the reservation in subsequent seasons.

Still, it gives hope for more and better period entertainments.

There was a female character (Lily, I think) in the show with some sort of disfigurement on her face. I saw some photos of Real West characters and there was a female back then named Olive who looked surprisingly like her. Was she meant to portray a real character? And who did that to her face?

Poor Eva (not Lilly) had a tough time on the show. She was captured by Native Americans and it was them that tattooed her face. She then escaped I think. She then fell in love with a railroad navvy, then married an Irishman who the other guy shot in the head and managed to survive. She then lost her husband and gave her child to his brother. Them script writers sure do have active imaginations.

Last edited:
Poor Lily had a tough time on the show. She was captured by Native Americans and it was them that tattooed her face. She then escaped I think. She then fell in love with a railroad navvy, then married an Irishman who the other guy shot in the head and managed to survive. She then lost her husband and gave her child to his brother. Them script writers sure do have active imaginations.

Eva was the one who was captured and tattooed.

Back