Monuments Harriet Tubman on Currency

GwilymT

1st Lieutenant
I wasn’t sure where to post this but I think that an area discussing modern remembrances of the late unpleasantness is a good place to start. Likenesses on currency can be a monument of sorts- you are forced to view them and interact with them whether you like it or not.

Apparently the Biden administration, under the first female Secretary of Treasury, has resumed the move to put Harriet Tubman on our national currency.

I for one welcome this move- let us honor those who fought for us to all be equal. Let us honor the women who we owe so much to. Let us honor those who actually worked towards that great ideal that we are “all created equal.”

Let's put Harriet Tubman's image on a commemorative coin perhaps, but leave Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill.
Jackson $20s will still exist and still be printed. Why not honor a true American freedom fighter like Harriet?

Let’s not equivocate, let’s put her, the first woman to be so honored, on the bill. As millions of African Americans are forced to see monuments to their enslavers and tormentors in town squares and even inside the Capitol, perhaps everyone else can stomach having to see a freedom fighting black woman on currency?

Last edited:
I wasn’t sure where to post this but I think that an area discussing modern remembrances of the late unpleasantness is a good place to start. Likenesses on currency can be a monument of sorts- you are forced to view them and interact with them whether you like it or not.

Apparently the Biden administration, under the first female Secretary of Treasury, has resumed the move to put Harriet Tubman on our national currency.

I for one welcome this move- let us honor those who fought for us to all be equal. Let us honor the women who we owe so much to. Let us honor those who actually worked towards that great ideal that we are “all created equal.”
So which denomination of currency would you propose putting a picture of Ms. Tubman on exactly. I suppose it would be ok to replace Lincoln on the $5 bill or Grant on the $50.

So which denomination of currency would you propose putting a picture of Ms. Tubman on exactly. I suppose it would be ok to replace Lincoln on the $5 bill or Grant on the $50.
I always found it ironic that a president known for his hatred of paper money and the U.S. using a privately owned bank was put on our $20 currency. Jackson must be spinning in his grave from the day the first notes were printed. I say put Harriet on the $20 note.

Currently it’s the $20 and from what I understand it isn’t a replacement but rather an addition. There will still be Jackson bills and now also Tubman bills. I’m sure that neither Lincoln nor Grant would object to having their likeness replaced with that of an American icon who fought for equality and freeing people from bondage. Do you object?

If that ideal is what should be honored, (equality) then not sure why it isn't John Bingham who authored the 14th amendment being honored.

If one wishes to be blind to sexism and racism, perhaps the actual author would be deserving.......

Personally I think the entire thing is driven more by modern left-wing gender/race politics rather than history, and honor. Thus I have as little use for Harriet Tubman on a $20 bill as I do Lincoln on a $5. But it'll still be just as green and thus just as spendable, so who cares. I for one do intend to donate some of the new $20's towards preserving Confederate landmarks that ain't the NPS just for the heck of it.

For the record, I have no use for Andy Jackson and look upon him with as much disgust as I do Lincoln or his famous backstabber er, I mean "great" Texas hero protégé Sam Houston.

But I have some candidates for "twenty-dom" some may like, I know I do:

1. General William Tecumseh Sherman-A real Union and American hero, unlike Tubman, who's only real crime was knowing what makes us Southerners tick, and thus what to do to beat us. Plus his doctrine of warfare was revolutionary, and his deep seated hatred of politicians is most commendable.

2. John Adams-A forgotten great I'd pull for him on the $20 more than anyone else!

3. James Madison-The Father of the Constitution, and deserving of such an honor.

4. This is a toss up between two individuals for irony purposes: John Marshall, or Sequoyah. Either would make Jackson's grave make a lot of noise.

Back