Harriet Tubman debit card?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Is a debit card appropriate commemoration for a historical figure

• Yes

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

archieclement

Captain
One United Bank released this debit card to "commemorate" Tubman during black history month, drawing a rather mixed response

Wasnt sure which forum this would be closest to....Would assume attempted commemoration would go as attempted historic preservation of historic figures

Last edited:

matthew mckeon

Colonel
Retired Moderator
OneUnited Bank is owned by African Americans and has used other historical figures in their debit cards. Her gesture, as I understand it is from the popular movie Black Panther. Which, unlike Tubman, is fictional.

archieclement

Captain
OneUnited Bank is owned by African Americans and has used other historical figures in their debit cards. Her gesture, as I understand it is from the popular movie Black Panther. Which, unlike Tubman, is fictional.
I voted no personally as I tend to agree with those saying its both shameless promotion and tacky in general, much less misrepresenting her doing a pose/gesture that didnt even exist. I agree in principle with a company's right to do so, however the question was if its appropriate to do so.

Polloco

2nd Lieutenant
Why not, half the people out there don't have a clue what She looked like. Postmaster Reagan had the likeness of Jefferson Davis put on a stamp so the "common folk" could see what he looked like.

jackt62

1st Lieutenant
I haven't heard of putting historical figures on debit cards! Would have to question the motivation of the card issuer to know if they are trying to appeal to any specific group of people or otherwise.

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
I haven't heard of putting historical figures on debit cards! Would have to question the motivation of the card issuer to know if they are trying to appeal to any specific group of people or otherwise.
Nothing wrong with marketing. You can't have capitalism without marketing.
Leftyhunter

archieclement

Captain
Nothing wrong with marketing. You can't have capitalism without marketing.
Leftyhunter
Capitalism was slavery, Tubman didn't exactly support capitalism....

I read an opinion piece that Tubman wouldn't have wished to be used in such a manner, but is speculative, as is she would somehow support modern day black panthers........

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Capitalism was slavery, Tubman didn't exactly support capitalism....

I read an opinion piece that Tubman wouldn't have wished to be used in such a manner, but is speculative, as is she would somehow support modern day black panthers........
Slavery has been used In capitalistic and non capitalistic nations. All nations with capitalism have marketing.
We can't know what historical figures would think of modern political movement's.
Leftyhunter