Harper's Weekly Saves Space For Refugees

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
refugees pic.JPG

Harper's was amazingly even-handed when it came to reporting on the war. A story in the same issue speaks of a woman's stubborn instance on flying her Union flag at great risk, and praises her. When stories like this, on refugees appear it is Harper's bringing war's horrors home, not some overly dramatized attempt at dividing a people further.

refugees.JPG

Thank you, Annie, for sharing this... images likely to show up on a screen during one of my future book talks.

Thank you, Annie, for sharing this... images likely to show up on a screen during one of my future book talks.

It's a tough topic? Things become heated. There seems to be some accusatory or overly defensive theme inside these stories when in fact, 150 years later there cannot be. The thing is, they're extremely important stories not to be dismissed. I'd never heard of how incredibly dreadful, barbaric and out of control matters were in border states. You simply do not seem able to tell the stories without raising objections from whichever ' side ' committed mayhem- and both did, out there. Made the Wild West sagas look like children playing house, you know?

The other thing is, our country endured tremendous trauma, the real thing. Dismissing it as merely ' War ' closes the door on how dreadful war itself is, in my opinion. Plus, any self respecting trauma therapist will tell anyone healing happens when stories are released. 18th Virginia opened my eyes a few years ago to this war's totality in victims although just looking at the toll it took on women- a topic here in Ladies Tea- had been inching my way closer.

Reactions: GS
Back